What's new

Favorite, Best Shave, Double Edge 1903 to Present.

What is your favorite razor in each category you have shaved with that gives you your best shave? Could be the smoothest, the most efficient, or both. Also, if you prefer a particular blade with each razor list the blade.

1903 - Old Type:

1921 - New Improved:

1929 - The New:

1931 - The Goodwill:

1938 - The Tech:

1934 - One Piece Open Comb:

1940 - One Piece Solid Guard Bar:

1956 - Adjustable:

Modern DE:

Not sure I understand your survey here but I'll echo Tom that my favorite class of Gillettes is the New Improved. It's not my favorite razor by any means but you seem to be focused on Gillette.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Not sure I understand your survey here but I'll echo Tom that my favorite class of Gillettes is the New Improved.

While some members may only have 1 favorite razor others may have a favorite in more than one category. Your favorite adjustable may be a Fat Boy while your favorite one-piece solid bar may be an Aristocrat #66. Some will have a favorite in several categories.

While some members may only have 1 favorite razor others may have a favorite in more than one category. Your favorite adjustable may be a Fat Boy while your favorite one-piece solid bar may be an Aristocrat #66. Some will have a favorite in several categories.
Gotcha.

New Improved it is, non Tuckaway, couldn't care which set as you don't shave with the case the razor sits in.

Favorite New is the New Deluxe though the Short Comb may be a slightly better shaver.

Favorite Gillette adjustable is the short handle Black Beauty. Not remotely my favorite adjustable, that would be the Apollo Mikron Mk2.

No strong feeling in the other Gillette categories, most of my shaving is with non-Gillette razors.

Favorite vintage razor using DE blades is Shake Sharp Mk1 for its balance of smoothness and efficiency..

Favorite modern razor is probably the PAA Prismatic. Cuz it's fun.

Last edited:
Gotcha.

New Improved it is, non Tuckaway, couldn't care which set as you don't shave with the case the razor sits in.

Favorite New is the New Deluxe though the Short Comb may be a slightly better shaver.

Favorite Gillette adjustable is the short handle Black Beauty. Not remotely my favorite adjustable, that would be the Apollo Mikron Mk2.

No strong feeling in the other Gillette categories, most of my shaving is with non-Gillette razors.

I agree on not shaving with the case. However, the weight will vary depending on the metal and the handle which may influence the result for different users.

I agree on not shaving with the case. However, the weight will vary depending on the metal and the handle which may influence the result for different users.
Yup. Never tried the Big Fellow so I'm down for the razor as it appears in the New Standard and Bostonian sets.

Old Type - Bulldog
New Improved - New Standard
New - New Deluxe Criterion
Goodwill - #164
Tech - Ranger Tech
One piece open comb - Senator
One piece solid bar - President
Adjustable - Toggle

Life is too damn short to try every razor made by Gillette to issue an authoritative opinion. And most of the variations seem to have been cosmetic, such as changes to the handles, which hasn't stopped users from going gaga over them. Some of the design changes have been to make razors more cheaply, thus increasing profits, not to improve the shave.

However, I have tried the main variations, and I must say that most Gillette razors have been major, over-priced disappointments. (Try them! You will like them! Try them! You will like them! - Sorry, no I don't. Most are only mediocre.) For example, a $15 Baili butterfly shaves closer and more efficiently than a Gillette Ambassador butterfly or Milord or Super Speed, not to mention the vastly over-rated, over-plated Ambassador adjustable. And a Fatip is vastly superior to the New Type long or short comb for closeness. Only the New Standard can compete with the Fatip (not that Fatip is the best razor in the world). But the New Standard must be one of the most beautiful razors ever made (can anyone name a more beautiful one?). And it may have been Gillette's sturdiest. On the other hand, a solid brass Fatip is built like a tank, for only $20 or so, and, with the right handle, is quite handsome.

Gillette really should have quit with the Old Type; I could be totally satisfied with only an Old Type. But then there's the matter of patent law.

Oh, and why, oh why did it take Gillette so long to figure out how to make a razor handle that wouldn't fall apart? It shouldn't have taken 30 years. What does that tell you?

Last edited:
Old Type - Don’t use’m, they tear my face up
New Improved - same
New - New Deluxe Chromium #20 RFB
Goodwill - 1930s British Goodwill
Tech - Hybrid Tech, 1950 French
One piece open comb - 1938 British Aristocrat
One piece solid bar - several: 4th gen Aristo, 3rd gen Aristo, Rocket Flare Tip
Adjustable - Slim

I do however also use non-Gillettes a lot.

Life is too damn short to try every razor made by Gillette to issue an authoritative opinion. And most of the variations seem to have been cosmetic, such as changes to the handles, which hasn't stopped users from going gaga over them. Some of the design changes have been to make razors more cheaply, thus increasing profits, not to improve the shave.

However, I have tried the main variations, and I must say that most Gillette razors have been major, over-priced disappointments. (Try them! You will like them! Try them! You will like them! - Sorry, no I don't. Most are only mediocre.) For example, a $15 Baili butterfly shaves closer and more efficiently than a Gillette Ambassador butterfly or Milord or Super Speed, not to mention the vastly over-rated, over-plated Ambassador adjustable. And a Fatip is vastly superior to the New Type long or short comb for closeness. Only the New Standard can compete with the Fatip (not that Fatip is the best razor in the world). But the New Standard must be one of the most beautiful razors ever made (can anyone name a more beautiful one?). And it may have been Gillette's sturdiest. On the other hand, a solid brass Fatip is built like a tank, for only $20 or so, and, with the right handle, is quite handsome.

Gillette really should have quit with the Old Type; I could be totally satisfied with only an Old Type. But then there's the matter of patent law.

Oh, and why, oh why did it take Gillette so long to figure out how to make a razor handle that wouldn't fall apart? It shouldn't have taken 30 years. What does that tell you?
So you are really not "BigSpender"?

I have never tried any of the older razors, and do not really have any desire to do so, thought about getting a 1956 Red Tip just because it is the year I was born but decided not to.

The 6 razors I have owned in order are:
EJ DE89
EJ 3one6
Timeless SS Scalloped .68
Timeless Ti OC .95
Timeless Ti Sb .95

I had all 3 Timeless Razors at the same time and decided the

Timeless Ti Sb .95 fit me best as a daily razor it was the only razor I owned for about
5 months, and loved it, just got my Wolfman SB 1.35 and have used it twice, more than likely it will become my daily shaver, which means I will probably sell the Timeless at some point, that will be the hardest razor for me to sell because it has been incredible.

I usually have only one razor at a time, if I find I no longer use it I would just as soon have someone else enjoy it.

I know that was wordy but that has been my 8 month journey shaving

Thanks for listening

Doug
04395876-46B8-4123-92D3-DA39E0012683.jpeg
274F4A18-26EB-425C-A374-A89DF79A9671.jpeg

My favourite has gotta be the 1918 single ring,followed by my ww2 new lc...ahhhh stuff it!!lol i love em all!!! Except for the 102a head on the later old types.idk why but it bumps me out every time I've tried it.i prefer my slim to my fatboy.any of those razors with a feather blade works wonders for me😎

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have not had that many...a Schick injector got me started in the sixties. After that there were a Gillette adjustable with a black plastic handle, a Merkur long handle, a DE89, an AS-D2, and my Above the Tie Windsor, currently fitted with a CR1 plate. The ATT wins by a wide margin. It is as smooth and comfortable as the Feather, way more efficient, and, to my eye, the best looking. It is nice to use the same razor everyday and to enjoy the heck out of it.

Top Bottom