What's new

(Fatip) Piccolo Lovers’ Club: PLC

That, my friend, is a tanuki. They usually carry an account book, to track the debts they will never pay, and a flask of sake, paid for with the borrowed money. It is best not to know what they are sitting on.
I looked him up. Cool and strange (my 2 favorite colors).

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Well I have been trying out some new razors (Gillette Heritage) to name one, and it sure is great knowing that my SE Piccolo is always waiting to give me a great shave, and tonight it did not disappoint.

I also made sure the Mustang had a full tank of gas in case I need a quick get-away.

Saturday, January 4
Piccolo
Gillette Platinum(2)
Omega 618
AdP Colonia
RR Oil of Lime

20200104_202732[1].jpg

Last shave in this rotation for the Piccolo. In an Italian menthol mood...

Dovo 45 Barbarossa stainless detail razor
Fatip Piccolo / Voskhod (6)
Palmolive menthol cream + Cella brick uberlather
Omega 10066
Alum, Texas 10X Face-freezer AS, and a couple dots of Pinaud Virgin Islands Bay Rum

D6EEE2FE-608E-472F-B5FC-CDCB24CF3C4C.jpeg

The Voskhod is barely even breathing hard, so it and the Piccolo will stand by in backup for a vintage SE rotation. The low profile of the Piccolo will go places a big-headed Ever-Ready 1914 won’t fit.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Tonight's shave was superb.
I am really loving my new Omega badger brush and it isn't even broken-in yet. Soft with plenty of backbone, loads soap like a dream.
I got the Amici shaving soap because I already had the aftershave and it was on sale, thinking it was the same as the Italian Barber Razorock What the Puck soaps. I didn't know that the Amici has almost the same formula as some of the more expensive soaps, minus the glycerin. The shaving performance is great, the razor never dragged or pulled, and I even got a BBS without trying!
The post shave did leave my face a bit dry, but the Amici after shave splash leaves a nice slick feeling, and the Nivea balm always finishes up my shave nicely.

Sunday, January 5
Piccolo
Gillette Platinum(3)
Omega 618
Amici shaving soap
Amici after shave splash

20200105_194610[1].jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I even got a BBS without trying!

Thats how they happen. Naturally and on their own. Forcing it only leads to frustration.

Once your soap, blade(s) and razor are dialed in, it becomes muscle memory and you'll have one every shave.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Thats how they happen. Naturally and on their own. Forcing it only leads to frustration.

Once your soap, blade(s) and razor are dialed in, it becomes muscle memory and you'll have one every shave.
Funny thing is this is the first time I have used the Amici shaving soap, and It was just my usual 2 pass WTG, XTG shave with a ATG touch-up pass on my face. I have 3 stubborn whiskers on each side of my mouth and one spot under my left jaw that cause irritation if I don't leave them alone, and the Piccolo found them last night.

Was it the Amici shaving soap? Or am I finally starting to get the hang of DE shaving?
I guess I will keep the Amici on the sink for awhile, it does smell nice!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Funny thing is this is the first time I have used the Amici shaving soap, and It was just my usual 2 pass WTG, XTG shave with a ATG touch-up pass on my face. I have 3 stubborn whiskers on each side of my mouth and one spot under my left jaw that cause irritation if I don't leave them alone, and the Piccolo found them last night.

Was it the Amici shaving soap? Or am I finally starting to get the hang of DE shaving?
I guess I will keep the Amici on the sink for awhile, it does smell nice!

Sometimes things just come together. That will happen more often as time goes by.

Finding a soap that agrees with your skin more than some others makes a difference. My top soaps and creams are so much better for my skin I dont like to use any others. Wickham 1912, PdP, CRS and WK DM all seem to make my skin softer and more supple than any other soaps I've used. That translates to a closer more comfortable shave.

I struggled with Feather blades for more than a year. They always felt harsh and left my skin irritated. A simple change to a different soap thats a better match to my skin, changed that instantly. Feather blades are now among the best I've used. I like them so much in fact that I thought about buying in bulk and only using them. If SE wasnt my main choice, I would.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I struggled with Feather blades for more than a year. They always felt harsh and left my skin irritated. A simple change to a different soap thats a better match to my skin, changed that instantly. Feather blades are now among the best I've used.
I remember you telling me this Mike, when I was just starting out and had only used TOBS. I got a puck of Mike's Natural Soap and could feel the difference immediately.
Using soaps with more cushion and slickness has allowed me to improve my technique to the point that I can easily get 1-2 weeks worth of shaves with Feather blades. I still have a lot of room for improvement, but I have learned that a proper lather is the best way to get a comfortable shave.

That and a Piccolo.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I remember you telling me this Mike, when I was just starting out and had only used TOBS. I got a puck of Mike's Natural Soap and could feel the difference immediately.
Using soaps with more cushion and slickness has allowed me to improve my technique to the point that I can easily get 1-2 weeks worth of shaves with Feather blades. I still have a lot of room for improvement, but I have learned that a proper lather is the best way to get a comfortable shave.

That and a Piccolo.

I still dont get more than 2 shaves from a Feather blade and its obvious to me the second shave isnt as good as the first. I have however noticed that with many other blades lately too so its not just Feather.

Funny that I can have 3 great shaves from the lowly Derby Extra and only a single shave from a Feather. I've even noticed the first shave from a Polsilver is the best. I could still use one to 20 or more shaves, but the first shave is, by far, the best.

Theres a component in some soaps that makes my skin very soft and supple. I'm not sure what it is. Wickham 1912 has it, PdP, WK DM, CRS and Captain's Choice cream all have it or the right combination of things to achieve it. Stirling, Tabac, T&H Luxury, Midnight & Two, Castle Forbes, Trumpers, and Proraso dont have it.

Even with a very thin lather, which I prefer, my skin is still so supple that the blade edge does very little to no damage to my skin at all and I'm left with the feeling of "I havent even shaved" yet will have a 12+ hour BBS.

My #1 kit for DE is my Grande, a fresh Feather and Wickham 1912 soap. That set consistently gives me my best DE shaves. The only way to have a better shave is to use one of my GEM's, and even then, my Grande isnt far behind.

I shave for the utmost comfort now with closeness second. Closeness isnt sacrificed however. It might take 3 1/2 passes for the closeness I want, but when I have no redness, at all, over my swirls, I'm there. A little redness is normal, so when everything works perfectly with the best setup I have, I have none. Three years into this and my shaves are still improving.

There are several soaps I still want to try, SV and MdC being two, but I guess I have my top 5 and top 3 of soaps and creams too.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
There are several soaps I still want to try, SV and MdC being two, but I guess I have my top 5 and top 3 of soaps and creams too.
Before my brother gifted me an Acca Kappa badger brush and a tub of Acqua Di Parma, the most expensive soap I had tried was MWF, which for me was no better than Williams.

The AdP was so much nicer than anything else I have tried, that I decided to try some MdC, as it was on sale for $50.00 at West Coast Shaving. Yes, MdC is pricey, but it is really good. That and after a month it still looks like I just opened it, so I think it is going to last a long time.
I keep hearing about Wickham 1912 and PdP in the soap forums and want to try them along with SV, surprisingly, my brother also gave me a tub of Proraso Green for my son to use, and I found it to work really good for me.

So I guess soap is also a YMMV!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Before my brother gifted me an Acca Kappa badger brush and a tub of Acqua Di Parma, the most expensive soap I had tried was MWF, which for me was no better than Williams.

The AdP was so much nicer than anything else I have tried, that I decided to try some MdC, as it was on sale for $50.00 at West Coast Shaving. Yes, MdC is pricey, but it is really good. That and after a month it still looks like I just opened it, so I think it is going to last a long time.
I keep hearing about Wickham 1912 and PdP in the soap forums and want to try them along with SV, surprisingly, my brother also gave me a tub of Proraso Green for my son to use, and I found it to work really good for me.

So I guess soap is also a YMMV!

AdP is also on my list. I'm in no rush to try any and have enough soaps and creams to last a few years. Wickham isnt expensive and its so good that I really have no desire for better performance. My weakness are scents. So far in that department, Phoenix & Beau and CRS are about as good as it gets. Performance of P&B is right between CRS and Wickham, and thats a very narrow slot to fit into.

When it comes to soaps and creams as good as they are, all are more than 'good enough' but I'm sure there is 'better'. I'm not sure I need better, but I do like variety in the scent department.

Proraso, as well as Stirling, are both good soaps at a great price point. I prefer Proraso White myself and I can buy it locally for less than $10CAD a tub. Thats a deal in anybody's book and it performs better than many may think of a $10 soap.

It's not the soap that varies as much as the skin its being used on, I think. Just like stubble, we all prefer different blades because they're a better match to our hair composition. I applied that theory to my skin while focusing on soaps. So far, Wickham is #1 but the rest are so close the difference is moot.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
AdP is also on my list. I'm in no rush to try any and have enough soaps and creams to last a few years. Wickham isnt expensive and its so good that I really have no desire for better performance. My weakness are scents.
The only way I can describe the scent of AdP Colonia is intoxicating. There is just a hint of citrus, then all the rest of the forest sneaks in and surrounds you. It lathers effortlessly. Just a few swirls with a damp brush is all that is needed for a 3 pass shave. The price is up there, but so is the performance, to get the same lather with Proraso I need 3-5 times as much product.
I have plenty of soaps also, but................................. maybe Wickham Rose, PdP 63, SV Felce or Dolomiti
The only problem seems to be finding them at the same vendor.........

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The only way I can describe the scent of AdP Colonia is intoxicating. There is just a hint of citrus, then all the rest of the forest sneaks in and surrounds you. It lathers effortlessly. Just a few swirls with a damp brush is all that is needed for a 3 pass shave. The price is up there, but so is the performance, to get the same lather with Proraso I need 3-5 times as much product.
I have plenty of soaps also, but................................. maybe Wickham Rose, PdP 63, SV Felce or Dolomiti
The only problem seems to be finding them at the same vendor.........

How you describe AdP reminds me of how my nephew described CRS Vetiver to me. Hmmm.

Wickham English Rose is my least liked scent of the soaps I have. Its a very musky scent that I dont really like but its okay now and then. Its very similar to Wholly Kaw Chypre Rose Concerto. I dont really like either of them. If you're looking for a Rose scent, buy Cyril R Salter Wild Rose cream. Its incredible and smells exactly like its name. Its also not expensive, performs really well and the tub is huge.

The scent. This wonderful scent. They really nailed it.

This is the scent in the tub.

Red_Rosebud_With_Raindrops_(216494517).jpg

This is the scent as I was lathering.

Dark-Red-Rose-Wallpaper_thumb.jpg

The more its lathered the more it opens up, but its more than that. Lathering for my third pass it hit me. Its more than just a simple rose. Its a rose garden.

451743282_1280x720.jpg

I had to concentrate a bit and think about it, but I could detect that rich deep moisture, the green of the leaves and even the fresh clean dirt. Its incredible. The only downside is, and this may only be a downside for me, it doesnt linger much at all.

Wickham Club Cola smells just like fresh lemon meringue pie. Light, refreshing and delicious. Shangri La is a scent full of contrasts. On my first use it was bewildering. The scent would change from pure Sandalwood to fruits, to flowers and back again. Its settled down now to a very light, flowery Sandalwood with a hint of cinnamon and fruit blossoms. I like it a lot. None of the Wickham scents linger. P&B Iceni, also a very nice soap, has the same scent profile as Wickham Shangri La, but they're turned up a notch or three and it does linger a bit. Of all my soaps I like its scent the most.

The scent of PdP 63 is like the more mature older brother of Proraso Red, with a lemon twist. Its fantastic and it lingers a bit.

I have the same problem about finding what I want at the same shop. Thats the only reason I dont have any SV yet. SV Tundra Artica is the one on my list but the next scent slot I fill will be Vetiver. Either CRS, MdC or now AdP lol.

Top Bottom