What's new

fans of CBL

According to KJ the maker wasn't happy with the faint scent. I also just smelled plain old soap.
I will admit, for me, scent is a big part of a shave soap. However, everything else was excellent. It reminded me of Tabac. It perforns great, but also smells like a clean, classic soap. I always have Tabac on hand, so the lack of a nice scent is certainly not a deal breaker.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I will admit, for me, scent is a big part of a shave soap. However, everything else was excellent. It reminded me of Tabac. It perforns great, but also smells like a clean, classic soap. I always have Tabac on hand, so the lack of a nice scent is certainly not a deal breaker.

Tabac smells like an old lady smoker!!!!
I like Arko which smell like plain soap. But I do agree scent adds something. Sorry you got the unscented one. CBL has some great scents (can you say Roasted Oatmeal Stout).

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I like Arko which smell like plain soap. But I do agree scent adds something. Sorry you got the unscented one. CBL has some great scents (can you say Roasted Oatmeal Stout).
+ Dragons blood is probably the most unique. Would be an amazing aftershave.

I'm not sorry at all. It's a great shave soap. I definitely enjoy it.

As to Tabac, I never hung around old ladies who smoked, so I will take your word on it. Ha ha ha.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Now that I’ve had good shaves with it, I think the real value test for my miserly self will be seeing how long the puck lasts (or how long I can stretch the product out for) :001_tt2:
By my eye the 2.5 oz compared to the 4oz is pretty close. It looks like a generous pour. I have so many soaps ive never hit bottom of any.

So I got my PIF in yesterday. I got Jeri's hair tonic. It smells good though I have no idea what the actual scent is. I will be trying it soon.

Shave#1 with CBL Money. (sorry, no pics of the shave)

My first impressions were that the scent strength hit the sweet spot for me and that my puck was fairly hard. I've had mixed results bowl lathering a hard soap, so I got a bit adventurous and used it like a shave stick. I can get a lot of shaves from this puck using this method.

Lathering 4/5 - wet my face, rubbed the puck like a stick, face lathered, and whipped up a decent amount of lather without any issues. I pushed it a little (dipped my brush 4 times) and it felt like it was threatening to become a little runny; so I stopped at the nice, dense, yogurty stage; great sheen. Had plenty of lathers for my standard 2 pass full face shave, with more than enough left over to hit the back of my neck.

Performance 4.5/5 - the lather was dense and protective, plenty slick with enough residual slick for some touch ups without relathering. No breakdown of the lather or scent thru the shave.

Post Shave 4/5 - it kinda-sorta-almost felt like I was going to have some skin tightness but that never materialized. The scent lingered a while afterwards (or maybe it was because I got some up my nose, but anywho). My face did feel good (after getting past the initial reaction).

Scent ??/5 - the jury is still out. This scent isn't a typical scent, not bad, just not traditional. Scent strength is spot-on. Maybe add a little spice or citrus to it. The scent does linger after the shave which, to me, is great quality in a soap.

Shave#2 with CBL Money

The results were very similar to yesterday. Very good soap, excellent lather, with plenty of slick.

...however...I can't use this soap tomorrow. Due to work my schedule, I normally only get to deer hunt on Saturdays, and the lingering scent (I like soaps whose scent lingers after the shave, so not a negative except for tomorrow) would give me away to those tall, horned, woodland creatures that I'm trying to coax into going home with me.

Top Bottom