What's new

fans of CBL

The Tonsorial line works fine for me as well. My wife really did take the Patch and I just picked up the Master Barber edition, but haven’t used it yet. The Premium line is more moisturizing than the Tonsorial. But I can’t compare to MW I haven’t tried it. I just scored a B&M soap, but don’t have the lather dailies in yet.

Ok, going to have to get the Patchouli and just give the premium a whirl. Too tempting.

Thoughts welcome please.

CBL Tonsorial or CBL Premium vs Stirling. Never tried Stirling. Is there a reason too based on performance? Forget scent.

Last edited:
Tonsorial is a nod to Williams. Nice old school type soap that lathers well and is slick. I use a straight and it works fine for me. Less skin food than the premium line.

I am a big Stirling fan. Great lathers and performance. Tallow and Lanolin, good stuff. Also slick and works well with a straight. Tons of scents and matching aftershaves.

My wife is a big Stirling fan also, but she gives the edge to CBL. As do other people. CBL lathers well and is very slick also.

So the correct answer is try them all.

Whittling down the inventory to soaps that will be used and don't really need anything else. If it's not blow you socks off great I'll just pass. How I avoided Stirling is beyond me but I'm just going to put up some CBL inventory instead. Thank you!

Whittling down the inventory to soaps that will be used and don't really need anything else. If it's not blow you socks off great I'll just pass. How I avoided Stirling is beyond me but I'm just going to put up some CBL inventory instead. Thank you!
Can't go wrong with CBL. I have a few and I absolutely love them.

Keep in mind, though, Stirling is a great soap too... and a wonderful soap to try. You can get all of their scents in samples that are an ounce large. As many soap vendors are selling 1/4 oz samples, this ends up being very generous of a deal for only a few dollars... A great way to try many soaps, without remorse.

Can't go wrong with CBL. I have a few and I absolutely love them.

Keep in mind, though, Stirling is a great soap too... and a wonderful soap to try. You can get all of their scents in samples that are an ounce large. As many soap vendors are selling 1/4 oz samples, this ends up being very generous of a deal for only a few dollars... A great way to try many soaps, without remorse.

Agreed. Stirling is the lion’s share fo my den.

I recently won a PIF for a puck of CBL Tonsorial. I didn't know anything about the brand, so I was excited to try something new and did a little research into them while I was waiting for the PIF to arrive. The PIF indicated this soap was designed to be similar in performance to vintage Williams, so I also opened up a puck of vintage Williams I've had for a while to compare. I used a Feather AC for today's shave.

First off, CBL isn't a croap like pretty much every artisan soap I've tried, so I already give it +1 for doing something different. It's a hard puck, but not triple-milled hard like Tabac or PdP. I guess that's where the comparison to Williams starts. CBL is tallow based, so the performance is very good and similar to other tallow soaps like Stirling. CBL easily developed a thick lather. Slickness is excellent and it outperforms Williams in that regard. I found Williams to be very good during the shave, but lacking in residual slickness for my final touch-ups. CBL had plenty of residual slickness. Williams didn't dry my skin like some soaps, but it also didn't have any post-shave moisturizing feel. So CBL outperformed Williams in both of those areas. The scent of the puck I was PIFd says Jerris Tonic, but it does smell a little old (it's labeled "beta" and it's not a scent listed on the CBL website). However, while researching the brand I ended up getting a full size puck of Poseidon and an unlabeled sample size puck--both of which smell great. Although my comparison was against Williams, I put CBL in a much higher tier as it performs as well as my favorites (PdP, Tabac, Captain's Choice).

I've only seen CBL mentioned a few times here--sometimes in threads like "List your top 5 soaps" you'll see people include them, but not many reviews for some reason. I've tried a lot of artisan soaps over the past several years, and Captain's Choice is the only one I still buy, but I will happily add CBL to my rotation.

I recently added several CBL soaps to the den, and have been quite pleased. I originally found them while looking for a Dragon's Blood scented soap, and ended up with more than a few others (my recent SOTD pics tell the tale). The Master Barber pucks are a great soap, and I quite enjoy that I can drop them into my vintage mugs and enjoy fresh modern tallow soaps. The other bases are softer, but offer just as much in the way of performance and scent.

I've only seen CBL mentioned a few times here--sometimes in threads like "List your top 5 soaps" you'll see people include them, but not many reviews for some reason

CBL is a pretty nice soap, I’ve only used 2 scents so far, but the vendor was super responsive.

I've used CBL Tonsorial 'Roasted Oatmeal Stout' and really like it. It's going to be my October soap.
Never tried vintage William's, but CBL Tonsorial is good stuff.

I recently won a PIF for a puck of CBL Tonsorial. I didn't know anything about the brand, so I was excited to try something new and did a little research into them while I was waiting for the PIF to arrive. The PIF indicated this soap was designed to be similar in performance to vintage Williams, so I also opened up a puck of vintage Williams I've had for a while to compare. I used a Feather AC for today's shave.

First off, CBL isn't a croap like pretty much every artisan soap I've tried, so I already give it +1 for doing something different. It's a hard puck, but not triple-milled hard like Tabac or PdP. I guess that's where the comparison to Williams starts. CBL is tallow based, so the performance is very good and similar to other tallow soaps like Stirling. CBL easily developed a thick lather. Slickness is excellent and it outperforms Williams in that regard. I found Williams to be very good during the shave, but lacking in residual slickness for my final touch-ups. CBL had plenty of residual slickness. Williams didn't dry my skin like some soaps, but it also didn't have any post-shave moisturizing feel. So CBL outperformed Williams in both of those areas. The scent of the puck I was PIFd says Jerris Tonic, but it does smell a little old (it's labeled "beta" and it's not a scent listed on the CBL website). However, while researching the brand I ended up getting a full size puck of Poseidon and an unlabeled sample size puck--both of which smell great. Although my comparison was against Williams, I put CBL in a much higher tier as it performs as well as my favorites (PdP, Tabac, Captain's Choice).

I've only seen CBL mentioned a few times here--sometimes in threads like "List your top 5 soaps" you'll see people include them, but not many reviews for some reason. I've tried a lot of artisan soaps over the past several years, and Captain's Choice is the only one I still buy, but I will happily add CBL to my rotation.
The reason you dont see Jeris on Chris's website is because it was an experiment and he wasnt completely happy with it. He stated he didnt think it had enough scent if I remember correctly so it never made it for the long term.... His whole line is great but if you havent tried roasted oatmeal stout. I would reccomend you do...

I am new to CBL Soaps and their offerings. I previously picked up a few of their available offerings which I really enjoyed. They didn't have any tobacco centeted scents available so I reached out via their email on their site and the owner was gracious enough to engage in creating a scent based off of my inquiry, which is their Cigar Shop Hombre scent.

My all time favorite scents always have tobacco notes a d I have always been in search of a scent that wasn't sweetened up, which many of them are. My favorite tobacco sce t prior to Cigar Shop Hombre was Razorocks Puros, which is still one of my favorites.

If you are looking for a tobacco scent that closely resembles cigars and humidors without the sweetened additions, I highly recommend that you try this soap. It performs very well to.

Top Bottom