What's new

fans of CBL

Kinda confused by reading this and the merged pif's. I got the Tonsorial Beta Roasted Oatmeal Stout and LOVE it. Ordered 3 more from CBL Soaps. Love this Artisan Soapmaker and the Tonsorial being firmer is a big plus to me.

I happen to have a puck of vintage Williams at my house, so I'll be able to do a direct comparison of the two soaps. This should be fun!

I'm in the Money!! CBL Tonsorial Money, that is!! Woot Woot!! My soap from @imatabor's 6th Anniversary Bonus PIF arrived today and I'm anxious to try this!! With all the excellent reviews, I cannot wait for tomorrow's shave!!

Thank you, @imatabor!!

I'm not very good at describing scents, but this one has a pleasing but unique scent. Here's the description taken from @TheVez2's post on page 6: Money: Expect a light linen or cotton scent with metallic ink notes. Some have described the scent as “fresh” or “clean”.

CBL_Tonsorial_Soap_Money.jpg

I'm in the Money!! CBL Tonsorial Money, that is!! Woot Woot!! My soap from @imatabor's 6th Anniversary Bonus PIF arrived today and I'm anxious to try this!! With all the excellent reviews, I cannot wait for tomorrow's shave!!

Thank you, @imatabor!!

I'm not very good at describing scents, but this one has a pleasing but unique scent. Here's the description taken from @TheVez2's post on page 6: Money: Expect a light linen or cotton scent with metallic ink notes. Some have described the scent as “fresh” or “clean”.

View attachment 1032564
tenor.gif

Had my first shave with CBL Tonsorial Sir Fougere...

The scent is great. A clean, almost floral, soap smell. I can't get the idea of hotel soap out of my mind... But totally in a good way. I wonder if this smells anything like Grooming Depts Linen (or whatever it's called). The scent is stronger than I expected, but nowhere near a strong scent. IMO, the scent strength is just perfect.

I scooped an almond size bit of soap and placed it in my dish. Smushed it down and added a few drops of water to start breaking it down. After maybe a minute, I went at it with my Maggard's synth brush. I ended up with a good yogurty looking lather. I was excited.

I applied it and began shaving. At this point I realized it wasn't very slick... Maybe 4/10. I also noticed it really washed clean... no residue, nothing left behind... Just squeeky clean. I was impressed.

I continued my shave. Now what surprised me the most was when I went for a fourth pass (that I did just to toy around with a different brush) it was very slick... Maybe a 7/10? All I could think at this point was I didn't give it enough time to break down, to bloom.

When all was said and done I really noticed the Post shave... It was great. Not dry, but no film whatsoever, just squeeky clean and naturally hydrated feeling.

I look forward to my next shave. The first was good, but the next one I plan to exhibit some patience and let the soap bloom a bit. That one should be outstanding. [emoji846]

@mrdoug said:
Had my first shave with CBL Tonsorial Sir Fougere...

The scent is great. A clean, almost floral, soap smell. I can't get the idea of hotel soap out of my mind... But totally in a good way. I wonder if this smells anything like Grooming Depts Linen (or whatever it's called). The scent is stronger than I expected, but nowhere near a strong scent. IMO, the scent strength is just perfect.

I scooped an almond size bit of soap and placed it in my dish. Smushed it down and added a few drops of water to start breaking it down. After maybe a minute, I went at it with my Maggard's synth brush. I ended up with a good yogurty looking lather. I was excited.

I applied it and began shaving. At this point I realized it wasn't very slick... Maybe 4/10. I also noticed it really washed clean... no residue, nothing left behind... Just squeeky clean. I was impressed.

I continued my shave. Now what surprised me the most was when I went for a fourth pass (that I did just to toy around with a different brush) it was very slick... Maybe a 7/10? All I could think at this point was I didn't give it enough time to break down, to bloom.

When all was said and done I really noticed the Post shave... It was great. Not dry, but no film whatsoever, just squeeky clean and naturally hydrated feeling.

I look forward to my next shave. The first was good, but the next one I plan to exhibit some patience and let the soap bloom a bit. That one should be outstanding.

Dinnae be afeerd ter add mur wadder den yer uzd to. It do be lichen da wetnezz
I agree, add more water to get it slicker.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I used the lime today. Very nice scent. Mild but very pleasing throughout. Its a very good soap. For the price its crazy good. Not high slick but decent. Im going to use and compare their regular base tomorrow with game of thrones.

Ive googled but what is the significance of tonsorial soap?

Just had my first shave. Excellent results. The scent is more soap like, but it is plenty slick and lathered easily. I have a home water softener, do that helps. There is plenty of glide and my face feels good to both my wife and I after the shave, her opinion meaning more than mine. I would definitely like to try some of the other offerings from CBL in the future. It is a well made soap.

Edit: I forgot the pictures.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Ive googled but what is the significance of tonsorial soap?
As far as I understand:
The vintage Williams have a professional line for barbers. This CBL soap has the same ingredients as the vintage soap and the Name is a nod to history

vintage-b-williams-co-tonsorial_1_a475cd8c1637bd85ef761d7a269417ef.jpg

According to Websters:
Tonsorial is a fancy word that describes the work of those who give shaves and haircuts

Last edited:
Top Bottom