What's new

Fake Pinaud Bay Rum?

Do you like the scent or the burn?
I love the scent of Pinaud, I just wish it had the burn and lasted longer. It's weak.

I like a strong bay rum and I love an intense burn; this is my favourite bay rum aftershave:
View attachment 1506554
Yes, I know, it is a hair tonic. It is also the best bay rum aftershave I have tried.
Oh snap! We have it here! But only one shop, but the price, considering the amount, is ok.

Also, I don't know about you guys, but I always have issues with ingrown hairs between the lips and the chin, I swear, the sample of PAA I used before and now the Pinaud reduce them by a huge margin, it's crazy, but I have to put daily to have that effect, so I consume quite a bit in the end. Could it be the alcohol, the clove? I don't know, but it works. How is the alcohol content in that hair tonic? Though I'd wagger that it's something else that creates that intense burn.

Edit: actually it's frigging expensive compared to other countries, they even have 1 liter versions, man, so jealous, I could buy that and fill all my pirate-looking jugs. :p

Btw, this may sound stupid, but I don't see clove in the ingredients of the virgin island bay rum, am I missing something? I guess it's the scent, as in, parfume?
The major compound in clove oil is eugenol. That's what is called out in the ingredient list.

The parfume ingredient could conceal what they are using for the bay oil fragrance. Though it looks like they are mostly using synthetic chemicals for scent. If they were using real bay oil, I'd expect them to show that in the ingredient list.

The major compound in clove oil is eugenol. That's what is called out in the ingredient list.

The parfume ingredient could conceal what they are using for the bay oil fragrance. Though it looks like they are mostly using synthetic chemicals for scent. If they were using real bay oil, I'd expect them to show that in the ingredient list.
Well, that's unfortunate. I assume Doug from PAA (he uses west Indian bay) has the real deal inside his stuff? Because the pineapple bay that I tried burned like hell. Getting a little disappointed with Pinaud lately, they don't seem to really care for their products, the whole thing is a bit faceless, I mean, the bottle is terrible, it even leaks.

Well, that's unfortunate. I assume Doug from PAA (he uses west Indian bay) has the real deal inside his stuff? Because the pineapple bay that I tried burned like hell. Getting a little disappointed with Pinaud lately, they don't seem to really care for their products, the whole thing is a bit faceless, I mean, the bottle is terrible, it even leaks.
You might like an older brand like Gabel's Bay Rum. It is just ethyl alcohol and bay tree oil, with a harmless bitterant chemical added to make the Feds happy.

Last edited:
You might like an older brand like Gabel's Bay Rum. It is just ethyl alcohol and bay tree oil, with a harmless bitterant chemical added to make the Feds happy.
Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately we don't have it where I live, and for something I use so often it's just not realistic ordering overseas.

Btw, this may sound stupid, but I don't see clove in the ingredients of the virgin island bay rum, am I missing something? I guess it's the scent, as in, parfume?
Clove is not an ingredient in traditional bay rum.
The clove-like scent originally came from the oil of the West Indian bay-tree leaf, extracted by steeping in rum...hence the name bay rum. And that's all it was made of in the 19th century, although sometimes lime was added. Back then, there were no spices employed at all.
[Note: this is not the same bay leaf used in cooking]
Actual rum has not been used to make bay rum for well over a century, and clove or synthetics have in some cases been substituted for the bay-tree oil, known as pimenta racemosa. Other notes have been introduced, such as spices, florals, herbals...none traditional.
Taylor's of Old Bond Street makes a traditionally scented bay rum, although it may seem simple and understated to those accustomed to modern potent and complex bay rums.
To-day, every company makes its own bay rum formula, and they are all unique, but share a common underlying scent profile.
There is simply no substitute for trying out different bay rums to discover what appeals to you.
If unsure, order samples...

Many here consider Clubman Virgin Islands Bay Rum to be an archetype, but I don't agree. It has no bay tree oil at all, substituting synthetics and eugenol for that all important authentic principal note. Then it adds its own cinnamon-forward spice profile (cinnamal), with lemon (citral), vanilla (coumarin), and rose/floral (geraniol), notes supporting it. I find it rather synthetic and cloying, but to each his own. It does, however, benefit somewhat from decanting into a glass vessel.

But why bother? With so many other interesting, historic, unique, artisanal and boutique bay rums out there, why hang your hat on a brand that makes drug store after-shave seem exquisite by comparison?

Clove is not an ingredient in traditional bay rum.
The clove-like scent originally came from the oil of the West Indian bay-tree leaf, extracted by steeping in rum...hence the name bay rum. And that's all it was made of in the 19th century, although sometimes lime was added. Back then, there were no spices employed at all.
[Note: this is not the same bay leaf used in cooking]
Actual rum has not been used to make bay rum for well over a century, and clove or synthetics have in some cases been substituted for the bay-tree oil, known as pimenta racemosa. Other notes have been introduced, such as spices, florals, herbals...none traditional.
Taylor's of Old Bond Street makes a traditionally scented bay rum, although it may seem simple and understated to those accustomed to modern potent and complex bay rums.
To-day, every company makes its own bay rum formula, and they are all unique, but share a common underlying scent profile.
There is simply no substitute for trying out different bay rums to discover what appeals to you.
If unsure, order samples...

Many here consider Clubman Virgin Islands Bay Rum to be an archetype, but I don't agree. It has no bay tree oil at all, substituting synthetics and eugenol for that all important authentic principal note. Then it adds its own cinnamon-forward spice profile (cinnamal), with lemon (citral), vanilla (coumarin), and rose/floral (geraniol), notes supporting it. I find it rather synthetic and cloying, but to each his own. It does, however, benefit somewhat from decanting into a glass vessel.

But why bother? With so many other interesting, historic, unique, artisanal and boutique bay rums out there, why hang your hat on a brand that makes drug store after-shave seem exquisite by comparison?
Very interesting read, thank you! I am going to give the Denman Hair Tonic a go, I keep reading good things about it after doing some research, it's the only one that I can find here and is affordable, aside from Pinaud. I loved Dougs Pineapple Bay, but for reasons unknown he doesn't export his bay rums here, most of his other stuff I can easily find.

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately we don't have it where I live, and for something I use so often it's just not realistic ordering overseas.
I have no idea even what continent or country you live in. Maybe you could put something in your profile to help us out next time.

I really don't know - but you could well be right, I'm inclined to think, that they folded clove et al into the "perfume" category. Not sure whether or not Clubman regards their fragrance formulations as on par with the Colonel's secret mix of herbs and spices, but I agree, that could explain it!

@Dominic A big Thank You, sir. I did get the whole line (balm, lotion and soap) from Stirling and to this day I haven't tried a better bay rum, the burn is INSANE, I love it. I *may* still prefer the scent from PAA but I think his products are way overpriced (18€ for the Stirling and 32 for the PAA...come on, it's not gas..) also, I see many people reviewing Stirling soaps and claim they can't measure up to other artisan soaps (i.e. A&E, PAA, Zingari etc.) that's total bull****, Stirling soaps ROCK and I wish I could preach it.

@Dominic A big Thank You, sir. I did get the whole line (balm, lotion and soap) from Stirling and to this day I haven't tried a better bay rum, the burn is INSANE, I love it. I *may* still prefer the scent from PAA but I think his products are way overpriced (18€ for the Stirling and 32 for the PAA...come on, it's not gas..) also, I see many people reviewing Stirling soaps and claim they can't measure up to other artisan soaps (i.e. A&E, PAA, Zingari etc.) that's total bull****, Stirling soaps ROCK and I wish I could preach it.
I've never tried PAA, but I've heard a lot of people say it's their favorite bay rum. I've seen many, but fewer, say their favorite was Captain's Choice. And I've seen a few post their shave-of-the-day photos showing Ogallala bay rum. I've tried Pinaud, which was my favorite until I got the Stirling sample. It's like a better version of Pinaud VIBR. And I've tried Superior 70 (sticky) and Masters (weak), which, along with VIBR, are the individual ingredients to make Bootlegger's Bay Rum.

Top Bottom