What's new

The Brotherhood of Bay Rum Runners

Recently saw some shaving soap in person at a store which is new for my area. Grabbed a puck of Col. Conk Bay rum.
Haven't used there soap and have never smelt any Bay Rum. The missus sniffed it amd immediately said mmm cloves. Then asked if there was an aftershave the same.

Is Pinaud close?

Thanks
Jay

Recently saw some shaving soap in person at a store which is new for my area. Grabbed a puck of Col. Conk Bay rum.
Haven't used there soap and have never smelt any Bay Rum. The missus sniffed it amd immediately said mmm cloves. Then asked if there was an aftershave the same.

Is Pinaud close?

Thanks
Jay
It's been a while since I've gotten a nose on Col. Conk Bay Rum — it doesn't lather well with my water — but my recollection is that you'd be better served by Captain's Choice Aftershave if you're looking for that smell.

My real recommendation, though, is to order aftershave samples from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements. Try the Clásico Bay Rum and the Atomic Age Bay Rum. I think the Clásico is clovier, even though it doesn't actually contain clove, and it really nails the classic bay rum fragrance.

Last edited:
The Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum is considerably stronger than the Conk in my opinion. But if your wife likes the clove then VIBR would go over quite well. It is fairly strong clove. I like it a lot.

It's been a while since I've gotten a nose on Col. Conk Bay Rum — it doesn't lather well with my water — but my recollection is that you'd be better served by Captain's Choice Aftershave if you're looking for that smell.

My real recommendation, though, is to order aftershave samples from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements. Try the Clásico Bay Rum and the Atomic Age Bay Rum. I think the Clásico is clovier, even though it doesn't actually contain clove, and it really nails the classic bay rum fragrance.
The Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum is considerably stronger than the Conk in my opinion. But if your wife likes the clove then VIBR would go over quite well. It is fairly strong clove. I like it a lot.
Thanks fellas.

Jay

Is Pinaud close?

Thanks
Jay

If clovey is your goal, you may want to add Ogallala to your try list. Not expensive, and definitely checks that box.

Catie's Bubbles Barnegat Bay luxury shaving soap...

What sayeth the brotherhood?

I've used the Un Jour Gris scented version, so I know that the base works well (not a fan of the scent). I'm just wondering what the bay-rum-informed hive mind thinks of her take on bay rum.

I have Barnegat Bay Rum and I find that it smells more like gummie Coke bottles than it does bay rum. It's not bad, but I tend to prefer a more clove forward bay.

I'm getting Bottle Caps from it.

bottle_caps.jpg

I have a bias to 'barbershop' bay rums. That is not a particular scent, just an environment were bay rums are found. In my den, all getting regular use in the cooler months:

Pinaud VIBR, my introduction to bay rum, decades ago. Cloves anyone? Enjoy a good burn? A little goes a long way. Most of my barbers have had a (dusty) bottle on the shelf.

Ogallala, the first bay rum soap I tried. I have used a couple of their variants. The bay rum notes always come in first. I have not been motivated to try the aftershaves.

Gabels, Masters, Stephan, classic barbershop AS brands, still found in the traditional barbers I'm likely to visit. I mix equal parts of these three plus VIBR to make 4Rum BB (Badger Blend). A good way to tone down VIBR. I'm most likely to use Stephan out of this group, when I'm not just splashing 4Rum BB.

Captain's Choice, the purest bay scent in my bay rum experience. My top choice.

Camamu Swagger, a local Portland, Oregon product. Think toned down VIBR. With small chunks of spice floating the bottle. Shake before using - seriously.

Col. Ichabod Conk Bay Rum After Shave - Cologne, a bay rum scent unlike an other I have tried. Strong, not a splash, so small doses preferred.
Where can one pick up Camamu In Portland? Or any good shave products for that matter) Im in Gresham.

Where can one pick up Camamu In Portland? Or any good shave products for that matter) Im in Gresham.

I got my Camamu Swagger (on sale) at New Seasons. I do not recommend Camamu soap. I use my Camamu Silken Goat Milk for pre-shave washing and hydration only. I used to buy Williams Mug at New Seasons. It was the only shave soap puck in the place that justified its price.

I have bought a variety of hard-to-recommend puck soaps at various Portland boutique joints while the LOTH enjoys some couples shopping. Just token stuff stocked to distract bored gentleman companions like myself.

I have not found any place with a variety of good shave products here. Mike's Natural soaps don't have retail outlets at all, to my knowledge.

Portland Razor Co. doesn't do brick and mortar, but they are very interested in selling SRs to local barbers. They might know local barbershops that stock some good products.

I got my Camamu Swagger (on sale) at New Seasons. I do not recommend Camamu soap. I use my Camamu Silken Goat Milk for pre-shave washing and hydration only. I used to buy Williams Mug at New Seasons. It was the only shave soap puck in the place that justified its price.

I have bought a variety of hard-to-recommend puck soaps at various Portland boutique joints while the LOTH enjoys some couples shopping. Just token stuff stocked to distract bored gentleman companions like myself.

I have not found any place with a variety of good shave products here. Mike's Natural soaps don't have retail outlets at all, to my knowledge.

Portland Razor Co. doesn't do brick and mortar, but they are very interested in selling SRs to local barbers. They might know local barbershops that stock some good products.
Thanks! Good tips. Mike's Natural is local? Cool. I'll check them out.

All the Bootlegger's variations are great. My personal artisan favorites are:

Stirling (waiting for the t-shirt and 8 ounce special edition bottles to be offered)
Barberry Coast
Ogallala Double Strength
Barrister and Mann
Murphy and McNeil Bad Mor
PAA Atomic Age
PAA Clasico
PAA Atomic Pumpkin
PAA Space Nog

And...yes...Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum... preferably decanted into glass.

Honorable mention...Gabels Bay Rum. One of these days I'm going to have to buy the windshield washer size gallon jug of Gabels Bay Rum.
I like the Atom Age BR does the Clasico have less burn? The Atom was WAY too much.

Top Bottom