What's new

Cella (Red) AS review

Hey Everyone,

Just about finished up the bottle of Cella Red Aftershave Splash and am ready to give my opinion and review on the product. Overall, its pretty good. The bottle is elegant, the restrictor works, the scent is pleasant, the ingredient formulation is ok, the face feel is good, the price is reasonable and the alcohol content is relatively low (which suits my preferences) and the liquid itself is a cool yellow-ish apple juice-esque colour if you like to colour code shaves. BUT, I wouldn't buy it again. Whilst good, neither the scent or the performance warrant using this over any other splash in the price range.

The scent:
Initially quite puzzling, I later found out it does not smell like Cella Red soap which is almond scented. This is not even a complementary scent. There is no overlap between the soap and this splash. It is a simple citrus with some musk and spice notes. Specifically, its a lemon forward with notes of musk and pepper. Like Speick, it comes off as a mens bodywash type scent but I personally would classify this as an Italian Colonia scent but I can understand why some other reviews say it doesn't quite fit. I think that it goes a little too heavy on the lemon and spice notes and would be better balanced by some floral or wood notes but overall, it's a pleasing italian citrus colonia scent. I would say its weakly scented, with low projection, not long lasting and little to no development of the fragrance as the day passes. I feel as though I react to the fragrance a little, with some chemical burn like feeling being noticable even if I apply the splash prior to shaving. This strikes me as a bit odd considering it is weakly scented but still not terrible. Like a mild tingling sensation.

The face feel:
Feels like Speick but not quite as soothing. That is to say it is a light yet conditioning splash that applies onto the skin evenly and easily with little to no residue or colour left behind. It has a similar alcohol content to proraso splashes which is not a lot and doesn't burn much if at all. There are good moisturising ingredients so it doesn't completely dry out the skin. The splash omits both witch hazel and glycerin and so I didn't get any sticky or tacky sensations on the skin. This splash isn't going to be a strong astringent and its not going to be a strong moisturiser. Just a nice, refreshing way to finish the shave with a mild anti-septic in alcohol and some moisturising ingredients.

The formulation:
Its ok. Not the best and certainly not the worst. I appreciate the inclusion of alcohol to provide the main antiseptic of the splash and the castor oil, panthenol (vitamin B) and allantonin to provide moisturising and soothing properties to the skin. There are some other ingredients typical of splashes in the price range like preservatives and fragrance amplifiers (aromatics) like linaool and limonene.

Overall, I liked it. Not a love, but certainly a nice change of pace and something that I doubt many would be disappointed with. Any of you gents had any experiences with it? How would you compare it to the green version?

love my cella splash!
and i admit that i've repurchased it a couple times!!

cella omega friedellko sunday august 14 2022.jpg

It's supposed to have a fairly typical Italian style barbershop scent, I think. So, it doesn't really try to match the shaving soap, but won't clash with it.
I can’t imagine it pairing well with an almond scented product. It’s just a fresh clean scent to end a shave with. A lot of people don’t agree ironically, that it is a typical Italian scent, it shares a lot of DNA with Turkish Kolonya imo

I can’t imagine it pairing well with an almond scented product. It’s just a fresh clean scent to end a shave with. A lot of people don’t agree ironically, that it is a typical Italian scent, it shares a lot of DNA with Turkish Kolonya imo
Peanut butter and jelly seems like a weird combination until you try it. 😁

Really, the almond scent from Cella soap rinses away pretty much.

Peanut butter and jelly seems like a weird combination until you try it. 😁

Really, the almond scent from Cella soap rinses away pretty much.
That’s what I assumed. It hardly matters in terms of scent pairing since the leftover fragrance is so weak from soaps. PB is good with anything haha

I think it has an unpleasant and sour "harsh modern cologne" scent, for lack of a better phrase. Certainly not barbershop by any reasonable standard. I wonder if there was a previous version that actually matched the soap. Beautiful bottle, stopper, hand feel, color, and so on, but the scent is something I can't enjoy.

I think it has an unpleasant and sour "harsh modern cologne" scent, for lack of a better phrase. Certainly not barbershop by any reasonable standard. I wonder if there was a previous version that actually matched the soap. Beautiful bottle, stopper, hand feel, color, and so on, but the scent is something I can't enjoy.
I would tend to agree with you. Just a same-y lemon forward body wash type scent. Its supposed to invoke a classical Italian fragrance but I find its not balanced enough to be a very good example of one. I could see it being a barbershop if Marco and others hadn't pointed out how dominant proraso is inside of them in Italy. I mean even my local barbers here in Sydney are starting to use it.

I would tend to agree with you. Just a same-y lemon forward body wash type scent. Its supposed to invoke a classical Italian fragrance but I find its not balanced enough to be a very good example of one. I could see it being a barbershop if Marco and others hadn't pointed out how dominant proraso is inside of them in Italy. I mean even my local barbers here in Sydney are starting to use it.
I wanted so much to like it... 🥺

Thanks for the review! It shows me I know nothing of scents or aftershave make-ups. Other than I like the way it smells and feels, and I'm disappointed when it fades.

That being said. I bought a second bottle, doubling up on my Cella red stash of preshave, cream, balm, and splash.
Not at all! scent is subjective, so just because I don't like it doesn't make it a 'bad' scent per say. Just not to my taste. Might be a good call on stocking up on the splash, the store I bought it from only have the balms now and don't have either splash at all in stock. I really wanted to try the green splash and compare so its a bit of a bummer.

Top Bottom