What's new

PAA Atomic Age vs. Derby City Chop Shop vs. Ethos Bay Rum - I have to choose one

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
How would you say that PAA Atomic Age compares to Derby City Chop Shop and Ethos?

I have researched all and they look promising.

Basically, I want an aftershave that is pleasantly scented, but office appropriate. No scent powerhouses here. But, I would like to be able to smell it when I rub my face if that makes sense. So, no scent that disappears in 3 minutes, but at the same time no scent that slaps coworkers across the face and screams "I AM WEARING BAY RUM!!"

I also would like an aftershave that is good for the skin. Bay Rum oil is, obviously. But better ingredients make better aftershave. More akin to B&M, less similar to Pinaud.

Is anyone able to help?

I have Atomic Age and Derby City. While I like Atomic Age, I like the performance and scent of Derby City better. Atomic Age scent lasts longer on me while the Derby City has a subtle scent and doesnt last too long.

I have owned many bay rums (too many). I know Ethos (Frank) made the bay rum from scratch and I rank it as the best today. Here is why:

For a soap you can’t do better than Ethos F base. Great stuff, whips up wonderfully and has a phenomenal post shave feel.

I am a bay rum lover I insisted on updates on Tortola and regular.

EFDBA909-69FD-4A4D-A777-EBBBFFD7B420.jpeg

IMG_1797.jpeg

IMG_2113.jpeg

I use it with Derby City Bay Rum Tonic and Tortola skin food splash. I have a bay rum skin food lotion coming from Ethos and another splash of just bay rum (Ethos)… additionally I bought a Tortola (back up) from a member from BST here Friday.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have owned many bay rums (too many). I know Ethos (Frank) made the bay rum from scratch and I rank it as the best today. Here is why:

For a soap you can’t do better than Ethos F base. Great stuff, whips up wonderfully and has a phenomenal post shave feel.

I am a bay rum lover I insisted on updates on Tortola and regular.

View attachment 1639404

View attachment 1639405

View attachment 1639403

I use it with Derby City Bay Rum Tonic and Tortola skin food splash. I have a bay rum skin food lotion coming from Ethos and another splash of just bay rum (Ethos)… additionally I bought a Tortola (back up) from a member from BST here Friday.
For the ignorant... What is Tortola?

For the ignorant... What is Tortola?
Tortola is tropical bay rum by Ethos - splash only for now

I was told more bay rum soaps would be out soon, it sold out very quickly 1-2 days.

Ethos is super high quality across the board. That would be my pick. Their splashes aren’t super strong anyways, so I wouldn’t worry about stinking out the office!

I personally wouldn’t buy anything from PAA, but that is just a personal thing based on company history.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Ethos is super high quality across the board. That would be my pick. Their splashes aren’t super strong anyways, so I wouldn’t worry about stinking out the office!

I personally wouldn’t buy anything from PAA, but that is just a personal thing based on company history.
True .. my concern with PAA is more practical. They are a scent powerhouse and I am afraid if I apply it like a true splash, rather than just a couple of drops, it will be too bay rummy.

The Derby City is a light scent (Tonic).
Ethos has moderate scent strength.

I really like Derby City, but if you want the scent to last more than 5-7 min Ethos will last longer and have additional skin benefits.

That is why you see I use both on Bay Rum shaves.

I like Derby City (have a back up) but I love the Ethos and have some custom things being made in Frank’s Bay Rum.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have Atomic Age and Derby City. While I like Atomic Age, I like the performance and scent of Derby City better. Atomic Age scent lasts longer on me while the Derby City has a subtle scent and doesnt last too long.

I agree with this except I personally prefer Atomic Age. The Ethos product I currently do not have.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
The Derby City is a light scent (Tonic).
Ethos has moderate scent strength.

I really like Derby City, but if you want the scent to last more than 5-7 min Ethos will last longer and have additional skin benefits.

That is why you see I use both on Bay Rum shaves.

I like Derby City (have a back up) but I love the Ethos and have some custom things being made in Frank’s Bay Rum.

Great information, thanks. Ethos sounds like what I want both in terms of scent strength and skin properties.

I have to choose one​

Do you really? Says who?
:lol1:
SWMBO...:a13:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have Atomic Age Bay Rum but not the others. It’s my favorite bay rum scent of all I’ve tried (Stirling, B&M, Captain’s Choice).

My next favorite is Ogallala limes and Peppercorn Bay Rum…..really nice.
Ogallala makes some nice Bayrum shaving aftershaves and Soaps.
I have the Bayrum & Sandal wood AS Cologne and really enjoy it, nothing over the top for a strong scent but like it, it just works for me. I bought a second jug recently for a reserve, works well with other sandal wood soaps also.

Ogallala makes some nice Bayrum shaving aftershaves and Soaps.
I have the Bayrum & Sandal wood AS Cologne and really enjoy it, nothing over the top for a strong scent but like it, it just works for me. I bought a second jug recently for a reserve, works well with other sandal wood soaps also.
Agreed. I am planning to get more Ogallala when my current stash gets low. Excellent stuff…both soap and aftershave.

I currently own St. Johns BR, J. Peterson Co. Bay Rum (which is supposed to be the recipe of the A.C. Schillingford Dominica Bay Rum) and Atomic Age Bay Rum. This thread has me excited to try Ethos Bay Rum. I wanted to ask @SharpieB can you please elaborate on the PAA history? I’m a new customer to this brand, and want to know if there is anything I should be wary of.

Also, @CzechCzar which BR did you settle on?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I currently own St. Johns BR, J. Peterson Co. Bay Rum (which is supposed to be the recipe of the A.C. Schillingford Dominica Bay Rum) and Atomic Age Bay Rum. This thread has me excited to try Ethos Bay Rum. I wanted to ask @SharpieB can you please elaborate on the PAA history? I’m a new customer to this brand, and want to know if there is anything I should be wary of.

Also, @CzechCzar which BR did you settle on?
I settled on Ethos. I liked it but I didn't feel it had enough staying power, so I gifted it away. Floid is tough to compete with.

Top Bottom