What's new

Fake Pinaud Bay Rum?

Hi everyone,

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I wanted to check if my bottle of Pinaud Bay Rum was counterfeit in any way. Mainly, some of the ingredients on the back of the bottle are misspelled when compared to the online ingredients list and bottles I’ve seen online. For example, “Cinnamal Alcohol” instead of Cinnamyl Alcohol, and “Eugerol” instead of Eugenol.

I don’t know why fakes of an affordable product like Pinaud Bay Rum would exist, but you never know! This is my first time getting this aftershave, so I have no idea if it smells like it’s supposed to. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    975.9 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    987.6 KB · Views: 79
Why not e-mail them and ask?

Just sent them an email. I’ll let you all know what they say. I still would find it hard to believe that someone out there thinks Pinaud Bay Rum is enough of a cash grab to counterfeit.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Could be an older vs newer version, where ingredients listing requirements have changed.
Dismiss the idea that cheap things aren't counterfeited though.
If it's profitable to counterfeit a 15 cent razor blade, then anything is game.
My bet is on older/newer versions though.

So clubman responded…somewhat inconclusively, but with some more interesting news.

They didn’t confirm whether it was counterfeit. However, I’ve since gotten a reputable bottle, and it smells identical. So, I’m fairly confident it’s just a strange labeling case.

In other news, it seems as though they are perhaps removing an ingredient in newer versions of Pinaud Bay Rum. Butyl phenyl methylpropional (aka Lilial) is an aromatic compound with floral notes. It appears that in March 2022, the EU banned it due to some studies indicating it may be harmful to fertility. So it seems that Pinaud are removing it. This change hasn’t been reflected in the new bottle I just got or on their website, so it may be rolling out soon. So heads up, Pinaud’s bay rum (and other aftershaves with the compound) might have a slightly changed scent in the future.

E2D9414A-DBDE-4A83-94BF-2D2A24EE7235.jpeg

I shouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's a counterfeit simply based on misspellings, if I were you.
You give Pinaud far too much credit!
I don't think it's a counterfeit, or even a great mystery.
A comparison with Dominic's bottle reveals that yours is an earlier formulation.
Apart from the spelling issue, one notes differences in the ingredient list, product/item number and Universal Price Code number.

One ingredient in question is cinnamal. It is spelt cinnamal as a noun, as in cinnamal or hexyl cinnamal. As a modifier, it is spelt cinnamyl, as in cinnamyl alcohol. You bottle's spelling of "cinnamal alcohol" is clearly incorrect, a negligent error.

Eugenol is also mispelt as "eugerol" on your bottle. A poorly struck "n" on a typewriter can resemble an "r," and OCR programmes have been known to transpose an "r" for an "n." Even so...another negligent error.

In the end, it's all about Pinaud's lack of quality control, oversight and care for their products, at least the Clubman line.
This is a company that (knowingly) failed to successfully reformulate their Clubman line for the cost-saving transition to plastic bottles over thirty years ago! Yet, despite decades of complaints from their surprisingly loyal customers that the scents were inferior and quickly soured in the bottle (and that Lilac Vegetal in particular smelled like urine), they have never since addressed the issue and ignored everyone's pleas for a return to glass bottles.

It's regrettable that the greatest compliment I can pay Pinaud to-day is that their Clubman line is eminently affordable.

I shouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's a counterfeit simply based on misspellings, if I were you.
You give Pinaud far too much credit!
I don't think it's a counterfeit, or even a great mystery.
A comparison with Dominic's bottle reveals that yours is an earlier formulation.
Apart from the spelling issue, one notes differences in the ingredient list, product/item number and Universal Price Code number.

One ingredient in question is cinnamal. It is spelt cinnamal as a noun, as in cinnamal or hexyl cinnamal. As a modifier, it is spelt cinnamyl, as in cinnamyl alcohol. You bottle's spelling of "cinnamal alcohol" is clearly incorrect, a negligent error.

Eugenol is also mispelt as "eugerol" on your bottle. A poorly struck "n" on a typewriter can resemble an "r," and OCR programmes have been known to transpose an "r" for an "n." Even so...another negligent error.

In the end, it's all about Pinaud's lack of quality control, oversight and care for their products, at least the Clubman line.
This is a company that (knowingly) failed to successfully reformulate their Clubman line for the cost-saving transition to plastic bottles over thirty years ago! Yet, despite decades of complaints from their surprisingly loyal customers that the scents were inferior and quickly soured in the bottle (and that Lilac Vegetal in particular smelled like urine), they have never since addressed the issue and ignored everyone's pleas for a return to glass bottles.

It's regrettable that the greatest compliment I can pay Pinaud to-day is that their Clubman line is eminently affordable.
I recently got my hands on a few of their scents. I love Citrus Musk, I'm indifferent with the classic one and Bay Rum I also love. I kinda wish they lasted a little longer though, it's like 30 mins to an hour at best. I can't compare with how things could (or were) have been if they used glass, but yes, the plastic bottles are horrible, I assume if we had glass the scents would 'hold' better over time. Also, does their bay rum burn at all? For me it does literally nothing, aside from the initial alcohol burn, I was under the impression that clove burned like hell.

Reactions: Kix
It does burn me. I still like it and use it, though. And yes, putting into glass definitely seems to make a difference.
Btw, this may sound stupid, but I don't see clove in the ingredients of the virgin island bay rum, am I missing something? I guess it's the scent, as in, parfume?

The company that owns Clubman is relatively clueless. They have mislabeled their talc, their Osage Rub, as well as many of their other splashes in the past. They just seem to spend very little time worrying about labels. Depending on who you get at the company when you email them, you can get wildly different answers about their products. The best I have found is their Facebook page for questions. Those folks really seem to know about the products.

Love me some Clubman splashes! My favorite is the Veg.

I recently got my hands on a few of their scents. I love Citrus Musk, I'm indifferent with the classic one and Bay Rum I also love. I kinda wish they lasted a little longer though, it's like 30 mins to an hour at best. I can't compare with how things could (or were) have been if they used glass, but yes, the plastic bottles are horrible, I assume if we had glass the scents would 'hold' better over time. Also, does their bay rum burn at all? For me it does literally nothing, aside from the initial alcohol burn, I was under the impression that clove burned like hell.
Bay Rum had a hellfire burn at first, but by the third time I used it, the burn was gone.

Bay Rum had a hellfire burn at first, but by the third time I used it, the burn was gone.
Odd. Anyway, as for clubman, I read that they took away most of the spice and clove at some point, it's basically muted, hence why the stuff of today doesn't burn like the stuff from 10 years ago or so. A shame, now I have to find a strong (and sadly more expensive..) bay rum.

Odd. Anyway, as for clubman, I read that they took away most of the spice and clove at some point, it's basically muted, hence why the stuff of today doesn't burn like the stuff from 10 years ago or so. A shame, now I have to find a strong (and sadly more expensive..) bay rum.
Do you like the scent or the burn?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I like a strong bay rum and I love an intense burn; this is my favourite bay rum aftershave:
1660754645629.png

Yes, I know, it is a hair tonic. It is also the best bay rum aftershave I have tried.

Remember that labels for products might will be printed in countries where English is not their first language and the printers have zero knowledge of chemistry. Even the editors who should catch misspellings might not recognize the difference between cinnamyl and cinnamal; they might have English language skills but not be trained in chemistry.

Top Bottom