What's new

Electric Razor - astonishing results

I've using the Norelco 7300 almost every day, or at most every other day, and I'm enjoying the shave. It doesn't last as long as did a shave with a blade, before I can feel stubble, but the stubble feels more uniform and a little softer. It gets my neck very well...I don't have any long hairs or hairs left in the creases on my neck, and I'm not getting any irritation. My wife says my face looks better now...which I didn't think was possible. :a14:
Well done! One goes back and forth trying different models but then eventually lands on what works for them. Congratulations!

The new electrics have come a long way since the 1960's. The wet/dry capability works great on a face full of traditional lather.

I have shaved with a Braun foil razor for probably 30 years - I still use my DE's, Gem's and Straights for fun but the Braun has been and is an irritation free BBS shave every time - I use the Afta pre-shave which really helps, and if I am up to it I can use my creams/soaps as well for a super nice and slick electric shave.

Last edited:
I have shaved with a Braun foil razor for probably 30 years - I still use my DE's, Gem's and Straights for fun but the Braun has been and is an irritation free BBS shave every time - I use the Afta pre-shave which really helps, and if I am up to it I can use my creams/soaps as well for a super nice and slick electric shave.
Warren,

Well done!

Yes, I get my best electric shaves when using a traditional shaving cream for lather.

I use the Braun 310 for touch ups on mustache area, below bottom lip and chin. It gets closer without irritation as the blades do cause if I press down to get that really close shave. That said, I do not see how the Braun, even the high end ones, will compete with closeness of shave on say the cheeks or easy to shave areas. Does not happen with me for sure.

I use the Braun 310 for touch ups on mustache area, below bottom lip and chin. It gets closer without irritation as the blades do cause if I press down to get that really close shave. That said, I do not see how the Braun, even the high end ones, will compete with closeness of shave on say the cheeks or easy to shave areas. Does not happen with me for sure.

For me, my braun 7 does get some of my trouble spots (like my chin) much quicker then a blade with the same level of closeness but quicker. As far as the rest of the shave... No, it's not quite as close is if I did a 3 pass with a slant and an Astra however that is the point. I always get ingrowns due to my flat lying, thick, curly hair so even a single blade with proper prep and technique gives me bumps (unless I only go wtg in which I'll still have visible 5oclock shadow). The Braun 7 comes almost as close as a blade but not close enough to cause all the problems (meaning I only get the occasional bump instead of several daily). After going back through this thread last night I shaved my beard off with my Braun, used the pop up trimmer to remove stubble then the foil to smooth it out. I went from 2 months of beard growth to BBS face (and a killer moustache for Burt!) In less then 15 mins with 1 tool and no water. Keep in mind, when I say BBS I have no visual stubble remaining and though you can feel some hair when running your hand ATG on my lower neck it does pass the "credit card test" and also passes the more important "wife test" haha.

After all this time of playing with the braun for head shaving, face shaving, wet shaving, dry shaving, etc, I've really found that it does infact perform best as Braun states in their manual: dry shave, no preshave oils or creams, no face washing first, allow your natural oils to act as lubricant, wash your face (and razor) after each session.

For me, my braun 7 does get some of my trouble spots (like my chin) much quicker then a blade with the same level of closeness but quicker. As far as the rest of the shave... No, it's not quite as close is if I did a 3 pass with a slant and an Astra however that is the point. I always get ingrowns due to my flat lying, thick, curly hair so even a single blade with proper prep and technique gives me bumps (unless I only go wtg in which I'll still have visible 5oclock shadow). The Braun 7 comes almost as close as a blade but not close enough to cause all the problems (meaning I only get the occasional bump instead of several daily). After going back through this thread last night I shaved my beard off with my Braun, used the pop up trimmer to remove stubble then the foil to smooth it out. I went from 2 months of beard growth to BBS face (and a killer moustache for Burt!) In less then 15 mins with 1 tool and no water. Keep in mind, when I say BBS I have no visual stubble remaining and though you can feel some hair when running your hand ATG on my lower neck it does pass the "credit card test" and also passes the more important "wife test" haha.

After all this time of playing with the braun for head shaving, face shaving, wet shaving, dry shaving, etc, I've really found that it does infact perform best as Braun states in their manual: dry shave, no preshave oils or creams, no face washing first, allow your natural oils to act as lubricant, wash your face (and razor) after each session.
Per your your experience and inspiration I may have to give Gillette dry shaving another go. Have a great weekend!

I tried something a little different with my Braun last night and it worked well. I typically don't like using it wet or with foam, the slickness goes away quick and I find the moisture to just cause my razor to drag. If I attempt a full wet shave with my Braun it results in a crappy shave and irritation.

Last night was "date night" with the Mrs. (We went to a new local comedy club and had a fantastic evening of grown up jokes and grown up drinks) so as I'm getting ready I went through my usual Braun dry shave and was pretty happy with the results, as I am most days. Well since this was a night out I decided to push it a bit closer. As I was "done" with my dry shave and had a few acceptable and barely noticeable random hair remnants I decided to wet my skin, apply a light layer of barbasol, then go back over my whole face and neck lightly. This really did the trick in getting those last little hairs. I wouldn't do this every day as the shaves with my Braun are fine for normal daily use but it's nice to know I can push it a little closer for "special" occasions.

I've had a Braun 790-4 since 2011. It's been dead reliable (replacing the foil and cleaning solution every 6-8 months or so) and offered a pretty great shave for an electric. The only trouble areas were my jawline and some irritation on the neck at the highest setting.

Sadly mine is at the end of it's life. Battery life is still good but I'd love to replace it and inspect the internals because of the following. Water got under the back rubber housing and rusted/corroded the T8 screws. They were so fragile all the heads stripped and haven't had success removing them.

I've had a Braun 790-4 since 2011. It's been dead reliable (replacing the foil and cleaning solution every 6-8 months or so) and offered a pretty great shave for an electric. The only trouble areas were my jawline and some irritation on the neck at the highest setting.

Sadly mine is at the end of it's life. Battery life is still good but I'd love to replace it and inspect the internals because of the following. Water got under the back rubber housing and rusted/corroded the T8 screws. They were so fragile all the heads stripped and haven't had success removing them.
Bummer! If there’s anything left of the slots, try using a thin, flat rubber band between the screwdriver and slots. With a fair bit of pressure, you may have success.

Just for my constant sake of experimentation I've gone back and played with a few different razors including one of my favorites the Gillette Guard. I've gotten a few good shaves but always end up with irritation and ingrowns a few days later. Back to my Braun 7... No problems. I've been using the Afta pre Electric lotion, not as much for irritation but because I found it increases the efficiency of each "pass" so I'm able to go from stubble to BBS on my checks, chin, and jaw, and very near BBS on my neck and Adams apple in 10 mins or less. I'm really at the point where, besides the occasional shavette/straight shave, I'm pretty much done with blades. I love this Braun bigly lol. I'm so tempted to try the series 9 but considering my series 7 isn't that old and works well (plus I just spent almost $300 on a new tattoo) I think I'll have to hold off or fear SWMBO.

Uh oh... I think I'm on the verge of a new problem: eRAD, Electric Razor Aquisition Disorder ahaha!

7 years, not bad. Sounds like it's time for a series 9 ;)

Braun electric razors are built like a tank. Great build quality. The first day it slipped out of my hand. Immediately thought oh no broke my new toy but not a mark and it lasted the 7 years+. + because it could theoretically still be used. I rather not risk a Li-ion battery issue though, after the whole phones catching fire fiasco.

I used the opportunity to jump into the world of DE razors.

Have you tried a screw extractor that has a drill on one end and an extractor on the other. Hardware stores sell them.

Clayton
I've tried the rubber band method won't budge. I think I'll have to carefully file in a slot for a flat head and try that.

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Have you tried a screw extractor that has a drill on one end and an extractor on the other. Hardware stores sell them.

Clayton

That's a last restort, as well as a weld glob to grip with pliers. I was able to eventually knock one free with a flathead and hammer.

Anywho here's a picture of the carnage I'm working with
proxy.php

That's a last restort, as well as a weld glob to grip with pliers. I was able to eventually knock one free with a flathead and hammer.

Anywho here's a picture of the carnage I'm working with
proxy.php

Oh wow, that's worse then I thought. I had screws on a large commercial exterior glycol chiller unit at work turn into that. I'll have to agree with your earlier post, cutting/grinding/filing a slot for you to use a flathead may be your only way.

You can get a replacement handle for $40 from a razor repair shop in Huntington Beach CA. Google electric shaver parts. The handle will be ready to go and will fit your cleaning and charging base,all you do is install your foil cartridge. It will do wet/dry shaves also. I need to replace my 10 year old Series-7 handle also due to me dropping it. Brauns are built well, and they give smooth comfortable shave's.

Clayton

Oh wow, that's worse then I thought. I had screws on a large commercial exterior glycol chiller unit at work turn into that. I'll have to agree with your earlier post, cutting/grinding/filing a slot for you to use a flathead may be your only way.

I was surprised by the condition of the screws. Mine obviously isn't the newer wet/dry model being from 2011. But I believe the rubber backing showed safe to clean with water. After each shave I ran it under water (fwiw my area has moderately-hard water) to clean out any hair from the shaver and trimmer and then put it on the base to thoroughly clean the head.

You can get a replacement handle for $40 from a razor repair shop in Huntington Beach CA. Google electric shaver parts. The handle will be ready to go and will fit your cleaning and charging base,all you do is install your foil cartridge. It will do wet/dry shaves also. I need to replace my 10 year old Series-7 handle also due to me dropping it. Brauns are built well, and they give smooth comfortable shave's.

Clayton

That is awesome and cheaper than expected. Braun also has service centers but I imagine that won't be cheap.

I was surprised by the condition of the screws. Mine obviously isn't the newer wet/dry model being from 2011. But I believe the rubber backing showed safe to clean with water. After each shave I ran it under water (fwiw my area has moderately-hard water) to clean out any hair from the shaver and trimmer and then put it on the base to thoroughly clean the head.

That is awesome and cheaper than expected. Braun also has service centers but I imagine that won't be cheap.
They will even recycle your old handle for free if you don't have an electronic recycle center in your area.

Clayton

Top Bottom