What's new

Electric Razor - astonishing results

Well, it's back to wet shaving for me. I liked the convenience of the Braun, but like Beefbisquit mentioned, I kept discovering long hairs that it missed. What was really strange was that I never felt any stubble that I missed, but after a few days I could feel a real long hair. It was always on my neck, which is hard for me to shave anyway...my beard grows in every direction on my neck, and I have some deep wrinkles that make it even more difficult. The best result I've found is to shave about every third day, and do a first pass with a DE and then a second pass with a Trac II. I don't have any missed hairs, even in the wrinkles, and I get a very smooth shave.

Gkc1,

It is a good thing to find the zone for your shave! Congratulations!

Cheers!

For whatever it is worth the quality of my electric shaves (I suppose this is true for blades as well.) is dependent on the shaving cream I use. Without a doubt TOBS Jermyn St works the best for me. I’m sure a lot has to do with water quality as well.

Report on yesterday’s shave: Half with the Braun 9 and half with a DE (Merkur barberpole with Wilkinson blade).

I’m not sure what happened but the blade side was so bad that I shaved over it with the electric. Maybe I will try again with an Astra or some other blade.

Today I just went all electric and I think tomorrow I will go electric and the Mach3.

I look at my stash of blades, creams, soaps and what not and I’ve come to the realization that I am probably a member of the 3017 club. I should be able to test an infinite number of combinations forever! :)

That reminds me of a joke:
Did you know that Chuck Norris counted to infinity? Twice!

Today I used the electric and a Mach3 with TOBS Jermyn St. shaving cream. Both sides of the face were ridiculously well shaved and still are at mid-afternoon now. A bad shave will have me feeling serious stubble in a few hours but this is going on 7 hours now and still quite smooth.

I haven't used my Mach3 for a while and have forgotten how it can give a wickedly good shave in a very short time with minimal effort...just saying.

Also, for whatever it is worth, I shave before showering. I just wet the face with tepid water, apply shave cream and then wait 3.5 - 4 minutes before shaving. Seems to be working for me.

I have a bunch of different creams and many work pretty well, but this Jermyn St. stuff just keeps knocking it out of the park for me.

Last edited:
Well, after injuring my back in a fall, and some other developing health issues, I am now having a great deal of difficulty standing at the sink to do a DE/wet shave. We moved to a retirement community, and the shower in our previous home was very large...big enough to put in a chair with lots of room...the shower in my bathroom now isn't, so sitting in the shower to shave isn't an option. So, I've had to go to an electric. I've had a Braun before, and it didn't do well on my neck. I am currently using a Norelco 5500 series electric, and while it shaves my neck very well, I don't get as good a shave on my cheeks as I did with the Braun and certainly not as I did with a blade. However, life is sometimes a compromise...I can shave sitting at the table, drinking coffee and watching the news, with the Norelco, and get a good shave on my neck and an acceptable shave on my cheeks. I guess I could shave my neck with a Norelco and my cheeks with a Braun, and use a blade to shave my ears (I have a full beard on my ears, in the last few years) but that seems ridiculous...so, I guess the Norelco is the best of the choices for me.

Yesterday as the day progressed I noticed my face felt very irritated. This morning when I shaved with the Norelco, I was careful to make sure I used no pressure (or minimal) and I still felt irritation afterward. It got worse when I had to go out for go out for a doctor's appointment. It is very hot here (Texas) and as I walked in from the parking lot, my face began to really burn with the perspiration. I don't know if it's a matter of needing to still adjust to the razor, or if I'm just supposed not to shave at all! Go all bearded and wooly, like a wild man!

Yesterday as the day progressed I noticed my face felt very irritated. This morning when I shaved with the Norelco, I was careful to make sure I used no pressure (or minimal) and I still felt irritation afterward. It got worse when I had to go out for go out for a doctor's appointment. It is very hot here (Texas) and as I walked in from the parking lot, my face began to really burn with the perspiration. I don't know if it's a matter of needing to still adjust to the razor, or if I'm just supposed not to shave at all! Go all bearded and wooly, like a wild man!
I don’t know what to tell you- it really sounds like maybe your skin doesn’t like the rotary. Is this a model you can use shaving cream with? If so, I’d recommend giving it a try.

I don’t know what to tell you- it really sounds like maybe your skin doesn’t like the rotary. Is this a model you can use shaving cream with? If so, I’d recommend giving it a try.

I returned the Norelco and got a Braun 5190. I am also going to figure out a way to wet shave sitting at the table...maybe a bowl of hot water to rinse the razor in, and a towel...just to have that option if I want it. The shower just isn't big enough for me and a chair...and our housing right now is temporary so remodeling the bathroom isn't an option. The Braun does give me an acceptable shave, so maybe I just use it and adjust my expectations. As my dad said when he retired and stopped shaving with a blade and started using a Norelco, "Why scrape your face today, trying to get every last whisker, when it will just grow back again tomorrow?"

I returned the Norelco and got a Braun 5190. I am also going to figure out a way to wet shave sitting at the table...maybe a bowl of hot water to rinse the razor in, and a towel...just to have that option if I want it. The shower just isn't big enough for me and a chair...and our housing right now is temporary so remodeling the bathroom isn't an option. The Braun does give me an acceptable shave, so maybe I just use it and adjust my expectations. As my dad said when he retired and stopped shaving with a blade and started using a Norelco, "Why scrape your face today, trying to get every last whisker, when it will just grow back again tomorrow?"
Have you tried the Williams Electric Shave? The lotion makes the shaver glide better on the skin.

Have you tried the Williams Electric Shave? The lotion makes the shaver glide better on the skin.

I've tried both the Williams Lectric Shave and the Mennen Pre-Electric Lotion. I like the feel of the Mennen, while the Williams feels somewhat greasy, but after using both for a while, I think I get better shaves with the Williams. "Better" is of course subjective...not like I got with a DE, for sure, but it's good enough for a retired old guy.

I've tried both the Williams Lectric Shave and the Mennen Pre-Electric Lotion. I like the feel of the Mennen, while the Williams feels somewhat greasy, but after using both for a while, I think I get better shaves with the Williams. "Better" is of course subjective...not like I got with a DE, for sure, but it's good enough for a retired old guy.
Old guy here to. I like to use my Braun on clean dry skin. Also found theWilliams a bit oily.

I switched to wet shaving many years ago to help me deal with the issues of ingrown hairs. I shave with straight razors, SE razors, and DE razors. It has helped me reduce the number of ingrown hairs but the fact remains that I still get them. I have discovered, while on my shaving journey, that very efficient razors cause an increase in the number of ingrown hairs for me. Mild razors with a very light touch work best. In my foray into electric razors I started with the top of the line Braun Series 9 razor. This is an incredible instrument that shaves super close and gave me a BBS shave every time. The problem was that it was too efficient and still caused ingrown hairs. I have tried both wet and dry shaving with the Braun and still had the same issues. I also had the issue of the stray hairs that the Braun missed. I discovered that by pinching the skin you are able to get those hairs with the electric razor. In any case, I ended up returning the Braun and purchased the Norelco 7 series for sensitive skin. The Norelco was a game changer for me. It was able to get me to near BBS with practically no ingrown hairs. It shaves beautifully both wet and dry. What I like to do is use Proraso Pre-shave with a hot towel for about 3 minutes first. I then dry my face and then apply pre electric shave lotion by Speick before I begin my shave. It has made a very positive difference for me.

In any case, I ended up returning the Braun and purchased the Norelco 7 series for sensitive skin. The Norelco was a game changer for me. It was able to get me to near BBS with practically no ingrown hairs. It shaves beautifully both wet and dry.

Well, I've seen that model in the store...I might have to give it a try. I don't want to miss any model that Braun or Norelco has on the market! LOL

In any case, I ended up returning the Braun and purchased the Norelco 7 series for sensitive skin. The Norelco was a game changer for me. It was able to get me to near BBS with practically no ingrown hairs. It shaves beautifully both wet and dry.

Well, I bought the 7300 model last night. I tell you, unboxing it was an experience. I don't think a tank could run over the box and do any damage! AND, it defies the rules of physics and space/time...after getting everything out of the box, the packing materials expanded so that it would require a 4 foot by 6 foot by 4 foot box to repack them.

I got it set up, cleaned it using the cleaning station, and then charged it. I shaved with it today, and got a good shave. I wouldn't say it was as close as a blade, but it was a good shave, and in my circumstances, certainly acceptable. The cleaning unit is a LOT quieter than the Braun unit...that unit sounded like someone was using a power saw. I could barely hear the Norelco unit when it was running.

The shaver itself is much quieter than the Braun, and it gave me a better shave on the neck than the Braun did. The Braun shaves better on my cheeks, but the Norelco does a good job, and I'd much rather have a good job on my cheeks and a better shave on my neck.

After shaving, I took the head apart and cleaned it with hot water from the faucet, then reassembled it and put the razor in the stand for cleaning and recharging. That may not be necessary, but I think it will make the cleaning solution last a little longer.

All in all, I think this will be a keeper. It's been several hours now, and I don't feel any irritation and my face feels smooth.

Well, I bought the 7300 model last night. I tell you, unboxing it was an experience. I don't think a tank could run over the box and do any damage! AND, it defies the rules of physics and space/time...after getting everything out of the box, the packing materials expanded so that it would require a 4 foot by 6 foot by 4 foot box to repack them.

It takes a little getting used to when shaving with a rotary with the odd head shape. As you progress, your shave will become more efficient. It will not shave as close as a blade, or the Braun, but it will get close and provide you with an irritation free shave. It is still recommended that you use a light touch when shaving with the Norelco.

I have also found that wet shaving with the Norelco provides a closer shave however, the closer you get the more you increase the chances for irritation. In short, I found dry shaving with the pre electric shave lotion by Speick to work best for me in terms of an irritation free shave.

In short, I found dry shaving with the pre electric shave lotion by Speick to work best for me in terms of an irritation free shave.

Since I can't stand at the sink to wet shave, I'll just dry shave with the Norelco. I've tried Williams Lectric Shave and Mennen Afta Pre-electric shave, and while I like the feel of the Afta better, the Williams seems to give me better results. How would you compare the Speick to either one of those?

Since I can't stand at the sink to wet shave, I'll just dry shave with the Norelco. I've tried Williams Lectric Shave and Mennen Afta Pre-electric shave, and while I like the feel of the Afta better, the Williams seems to give me better results. How would you compare the Speick to either one of those?

I like the Williams and the Speick in terms of performance. The reason I choose the Speick over the Williams is that the ingredients are more natural/safe.

I've using the Norelco 7300 almost every day, or at most every other day, and I'm enjoying the shave. It doesn't last as long as did a shave with a blade, before I can feel stubble, but the stubble feels more uniform and a little softer. It gets my neck very well...I don't have any long hairs or hairs left in the creases on my neck, and I'm not getting any irritation. My wife says my face looks better now...which I didn't think was possible. :a14:

Top Bottom