What's new

Electric Razor - astonishing results

I have been a traditional DE wet shaver for the last 15 year plus years. My results have generally always been very good but I have one part of my lower lip that causes me problems. There is a small hook on my lip (not really even noticeable) as the result of an accident when I was young but it makes shaving in that area difficult. So I thought I would try using an electric razor.

The result has been astounding. Like motor oil, we all have our favorite brands, so I am not about to tell you what you should use but I ended up favoring the Braun Series 9 electric shaver after trying several models and styles (foil versus rotary). I tried dry shaving and was not impressed, but using a traditional cream resulted in a shave that is nearly as good (95% or better of a DE wet shave) and better in some areas - especially that little hook area on the lip. I no longer nick myself in this area and my shaves are now without fear of drawing blood.

As a bit of additional information, I found that some creams work better than others and the electric razor definitely preferred shaving where the cream was applied by finger tips and not with a brush. Maybe my brush technique needs improving, but the the brush resulted in a cream layer that was too dry. Using my fingers provide a very even and wetter cream layer.

I really wish I could continue to use my DE Merkur Barber Pole razor but the electric shaver results have been just too good. I love the blade, I respect the blade, but my I don't see myself going back to the DE blade. I still wet shave, I just use a different cutting implement and it has been a Godsend for me.

Shave with what makes you happy and enjoy the day.

Last edited:
Great report. I haven't used an electric in eons but the last time I did my only real gripe was the shave longevity just wasn't there for me. As you say, shave with with what works, that is all that really matters. :thumbup:

I've been using a Braun Series 5 and Norelco Sensotouch 3D electric razor for the last few months. I wanted to shave in the morning before I leave for work and am too shaky at 5 a.m. to use a safety razor. The dry shaves aren't great, but I like the shave I get using Afta Pre Electric shave lotion. I get a very smooth shave on my cheeks and a damn fine shave on my neck. I have no problems with irritation on my neck like I do occasionally with safety razors. I still use a safety on occasions, but am satisfied with the shaves I get with my electrics. It does take around 7 minutes of shaving in different directions to get a good shave with the electrics, but my neck has looked better since I started using electrics on a daily basis.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Excellent review. I used an electric on and off again for years. The last very expensive one I had died and I discovered the model I had wouldn't allow for the replacement of the battery. So I had to toss it. I just recently tossed a bottle of lectric shave I found in the Hall closet.

ninjack,

Your neck looks better and my lip looks better. It is all good!

Thanks for your input.

Rhody,

I don't think my razor has a replaceable battery. However, Braun says it should last up to seven years so maybe by then I'll want something different? :)

Thank you for your comments as well.

My wife gave me a Braun 790cc for Christmas, the same model I had several years ago. I'm retired, so I don't need or want a BBS shave every day. I've been using it since Christmas, and I'm enjoying it. The best part is I can shave at the kitchen table, with my morning coffee, and while I watch the news. I've found that I get the best results if I shave every other day...it's not uncomfortable to shave every day, but I seem to get a closer shave with a little bit of growth. I can't go too many days, though, or it doesn't do well. I don't get as close a shave as I did with a DE razor, but it's good enough. It has the charging/cleaning stand, so when I'm done I just pop it back in the stand, and it's cleaned and charged for the next shave.

My dad retired at 65, and lived to be 92, and he used a Norelco after retiring and until his death. I tried a Norelo, but never could get a good shave with it. Conversely he didn't like a foil shaver.

My father passed away this December at 93, and I inherited his Braun 790cc. I'm not going to give up wet shaving, but sometimes the electric is convenient, and the shave is plenty good enough for my purposes as a retiree. I never got along well with my Norelco. It took forever and felt like using an orbital sander on my face. My father-in-law on the other hand loves his. Definitely seems to be a YMMV thing.

I own a Braun 9295..... it shaves INCREDIBLY close, I cannot tell the difference between this and an actual razor (somehow).... but it tends to miss a lot of hairs and I end up rubbing my face 10-20x more than I do when wet shaving which results in a red face and some irritation....

I literally spared no expense in my quest for the best electric shaver, but was left disappointed. Haven't used it in 9+ months..... :(

I am honestly glad it's working for you though!

Beefbisquit, you gave me an idea for a little experiment:

This morning I shaved the left side of my face with the Braun 9 and the right side with a Gillette Sensor Excel cartridge - both sides hand lathered with TOBS Jermyn St cream. Both sides were very smooth right after the shave, but I expected that.

Now it is mid-afternoon and I should be able to tell the difference between the two sides but I absolutely cannot. That surprised even me - I was ready to concede to the blade because, well, it’s a blade, but it really is a draw between the two.

The electric is slightly better at the chin and jaw line and the Sensor is slightly better at the neck but the difference is so slight as to be of no consequence.

I think I will try this experiment again tomorrow but using a DE blade instead of the Sensor.

Last edited:
Love the Brawn 7 series and up. Great electrics, and the foil / cutting heads were originally designed in collaboration with Gillette Corp. One thing though, I have never used them as wet shavers, I'm thinking I'll want to try that. I'm also thinking I'd wait until after I've rinsed thoroughly and let it dry out before running through a cleaning cycle in the charger/cleaning stand.

Love the Brawn 7 series and up. Great electrics, and the foil / cutting heads were originally designed in collaboration with Gillette Corp. One thing though, I have never used them as wet shavers, I'm thinking I'll want to try that. I'm also thinking I'd wait until after I've rinsed thoroughly and let it dry out before running through a cleaning cycle in the charger/cleaning stand.
Merle,

I too got tired of waiting for the head and base to dry before putting back in the cleaning station (Norelco doesn't require this, but it didn't shave as well for me.) so now I just take a hair dryer to it for a moment put it back together then it can go in the cleaning station or wherever.

Beefbisquit, you gave me an idea for a little experiment:

This morning I shaved the left side of my face with the Braun 9 and the right side with a Gillette Sensor Excel cartridge - both sides hand lathered with TOBS Jermyn St cream. Both sides were very smooth right after the shave, but I expected that.

Now it is mid-afternoon and I should be able to tell the difference between the two sides but I absolutely cannot. That surprised even me - I was ready to concede to the blade because, well, it’s a blade, but it really is a draw between the two.

The electric is slightly better at the chin and jaw line and the Sensor is slightly better at the neck but the difference is so slight as to be of no consequence.

I think I will try this experiment again tomorrow but using a DE blade instead of the Sensor.

I don't know what type of voodoo Braun uses to get their electric shavers to cut so close, but it's really incredible. Now, if it would just shave ALL the hair. LOL

My experience with an electric razor is what lead me to the world of traditional wet shaving with a safety razor.

In my quest to find the most convenient & closest shave lead me to shelling out on a Panasonic ES-LV95 a few years back.

Although a very powerful tool capable of mowing down a weeks worth of growth, very very close.. unfortunately my face did not agree with it!

Put up with terrible ingrowns, as I was in denial thinking my skin would come good once it got used to it, it did not.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Congratulations - you win. We're all on the journey to find out what works for us.

I used Braun electrics for quite a few years, and for my face they are no substitute for my DE - but you shave your face. Enjoy.

My earlier foray with electric razors was also met with less than stellar results. There are two things that, for me anyway, have significantly improved my results:

1. Ability to use an electric razor wet, i.e. with shaving cream.

2. Apply the shaving cream and wait at least 3.5 minutes before shaving. Use this time to brush teeth or whatever.

Shave well, blade or electric!

My earlier foray with electric razors was also met with less than stellar results. There are two things that, for me anyway, have significantly improved my results:

1. Ability to use an electric razor wet, i.e. with shaving cream.

2. Apply the shaving cream and wait at least 3.5 minutes before shaving. Use this time to brush teeth or whatever.

Shave well, blade or electric!

Personally, I didn't find that wet shaving helped with my electric for some reason... The hair on my neck grows really weird... almost circular in some areas.... makes it challenging.

I have never tried the waiting trick though, maybe I was too hasty to toss aside my Braun..... I will have to experiment.

Beefbisquit,

Yes, I have found that waiting before shaving really helps. Waiting gives the shaving cream time to soften the hair cuticle (is this the right word?). For me I found that less than 3.5 minutes resulted in a poorer shave. Your skin, beard, etc will definitely make your mileage vary as they say.

Top Bottom