What's new

EJ DE89L vs. Merkur 34C

I am currently using a Merkur 23c but want something with some more weight. I saw a review on another site on both of these razors but still can't decide which I rather have. Only been wet shaving for a couple of weeks now, which would you suggest.

:001_cool:

This question comes up a lot.

I have both. The EJ is prettier to look at, but the Merkur HD gives me a better shave. But the difference is slight.

You can't go wrong either way, but I'd recommend the HD.

Loved my HD for many years, but the Jagger DE89 upped it in quality and tighter tolerances in the blade head. I recommend the DE89.

I currently use the 34C but have a brand new DE89 in the closet. Guess I will have to crack the seal on that box and give it a go.

If you get the EJ, buy an iKon or Weber handle for it. That does increase the price pretty significantly though.
I slightly prefer my 34G to my EJ, but only slightly.

EJ better build quality.
Murker better shave.

I own both, i dont bother with my EJ much anymore, it looks pretty though.

Thanks for all the replies! Sounds like they are pretty similar but would go with the EJ if your looking for a better looking Razor and the Merkur for a razor that shaves better. Since I'm in the hunt for the perfect shave I'm leaning towards the 34c but keep the replies coming. Like to hear different opinions.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Edwin Jagger's Chrome finish is superb and almost impossible to beat, but for me Merkurs simply shave better.

adding new handles ,finish and smoothness goes to ej89 , Hd ,handle is non changeable.It is slightly more agressive shaver but Merkur quality , tool marks , bad chrome seems to be the rule for thier brand ,50/50 shot of getting a decent one

I don't know much about a Merkur as I have only used a EJ89. I love it, looks great and has started to give me an amazing shave (only been wet shaving for a month now, it takes time). I have no complaints about the EJ89 but if you do choose one and it doesnt work for you, selling it is always an option..

The DE 89 blows the Merkur out of the water when it comes to fit, finish and ease of use. The 34C is quite utilitarian and has a rougher finish. It also has a different enough head to require a different angle etc. I also think that it is a bit more aggressive, however, YMMV. I prefer the DE 89, and have not used my 34C in ages. For someone starting out, my recommendation is the DE89.

I upgraded my Jagger DE89 with a Weber handle and I can't imagine it getting much better.

I did the the same, but with an IKON Bulldog handle, virtually the same handle but I paid more for it which I regret a little bit but in the end it really worked well for me with increased control and much better shaves with less irritation.

Top Bottom