What's new

EcoTools Bamboo Brush: Bang for Buck Heavy Weight Champ of the World

Interesting. The only think I'm curious about is how well the brush is glued in. It isn't designed to get wet,

But apparently they are supposed to be cleaned frequently, and with cleaners harsher than you would use on skin. (i.e. not safe as make-up remover.)

having trouble building a lather with the similar brush i have. i am using Williams soap and pre-watering it. first time i loaded vigorously for about 15 secs and then tried to face lather. kept going and going but nothing substantial ever built. today i loaded vigorously for about 30 secs to the point where i was basically just building lather right on the soap. i tried to bowl lather and it was better but still very lackluster. nothing at all like the pic of the ecotools brush's lather. Is it the soap Im using? or maybe these two brushes have something about them that causes the lathering ability to be so different. they seemed very very similar in the store.

After reading this thread and being dragged into a Sephora by SWMBO, I saw a goat hair traveling blush brush that was incredibly soft and light. It retracts into it's own case so, in essence, has an adjustable loft too. Figured it was worth the cost ($29) to try it out. When I got home broke out the D.R.Harris lavender cream, thinking the goat hair was just too soft for a hard soap. Lathered up beautifully, very quickly creating a thick, slick lather. However, first lesson learned: DON'T buy the black brush. The color is a dye! Haven't used it to shave yet because am still trying to wash out the color. Since the brush was designed to apply dry make up they apparently used some kind of non-waterproof dye. The good news is that the dye washes away easily and, more importantly, you can buy an un-dyed version with white bristles. More good news: the goat hair is amazingly soft and seems to lather up both creams and soaps like a champ (have been using soaps to try to deal with the dye). I think this will make a great light weight travel brush once I deal with the dye and I love the adjustable loft thing (although it's a short loft even at full length). Anyone know why there don't seem to be any purpose made shaving brushes is goat hair? Would seem to be real competition for even the superest highest mountainist whitest silver tip.

To all of you trying different make up brushes with different levels of success, I'm not sure I have any advise other than the basics. Load well and add water slowly just a couple drops at a time. However with what I have seen at the couple stores I'v looked threw most of the make up brushes out there will be next to useless for shaving. The only good ones seem to be the bronzer and kabuki brushes, and even then not all of them are of sufficient size, density, or backbone to really work. So some will work and some will just lead to frustration.

The best I can say is that if you want to try a couple different ones on your own, get your hands on them before you buy them. I know its harder for people who are new to wet shaving, but see if anything feels "right" before you spend even a couple dollars on it.

i saw a posh brush at wegmans 35mm http://www.poshbrushes.com/86157.html

it was like a chubby dense & soft i think it was $14 but posh sites say $35

proxy.php

amazon has unlabeled similar for 10
http://www.amazon.com/The-Brush-Company-Italian-Badger/dp/B001NLJA4M/ref=pd_sim_sbs_bt_6

+1 - I have some pink headphones for my mp3 player - they were on sale for half price. The same model in black were regular price. Pink doesn't bother me one bit!

Well said sir! I for one, will be picking one up next time I'm in my local WalMart. Soft Tips, density, and backbone? Put a pink handle on it for all I care...I, like you, would proudly display it next to the Eskilstuna Wedge that should be here any day.:wink2:

Very interesting experiment. Thanks for doing this! That said, at $10 or less, I would opine that the Omega Pro 49 is the undisputed bang for buck champeen of the shaving world. Now that it's broken in, I get soft tips with backbone and lather for days. These are a great experiment, but their primary design is something other than making shaving lather. Still, you'ce piqued my curiosity and I might see if I can find one. I love the fact that there's something for everyone in our hobby.

I think the synthetic hair would make it an Ideal & Inexpensive Travel Brush that would dry quickly, and if lost or forgotten, won't be a financial setback like a Wee Scott or other costlier Travel Brush

I bought a 3 pack and will try soon. I will pif the other 2 to any member of this thread that wants to try, figure 6 bucks for shipping cost and I will mail. PM me and I will send out to you to try. Personally I like the long handle and it seems great so far- just fyi I also just recieved an Omega 49 that I ordered over xmas time so now I am as confused as a baby in a nipple factory!:crying:

The handles could definitly be cut to make a super small travel brush and that is what I am thinking of doing as I travel 90% for my job. This will replace my el-cheapo body shop 12 buck brush which I am happy with too so far.

Anybody try the Finishing brush? It actually looks something like a shaving brush handle (http://www.amazon.com/Finishing-Kabuki-Brush-1/dp/B004O9P6H0/ref=pd_sim_hpc_8)

I took a good look at this one at the store on a couple of occasions as it does look very much like a shaving brush. It however was very very thin with out a lot of backbone. You might be able to use it for creams, but I cant imagine how long it would take to load soap with such a brush. I also seem to recall that although the brush was reasonably soft, it was as soft as the one in the original post.

I took a good look at this one at the store on a couple of occasions as it does look very much like a shaving brush. It however was very very thin with out a lot of backbone. You might be able to use it for creams, but I cant imagine how long it would take to load soap with such a brush. I also seem to recall that although the brush was reasonably soft, it was as soft as the one in the original post.

Thanks. Just ordered the Bamboo Bronzer for $8.49 with free shipping at Drugstore.com!

Anybody try the Finishing brush? It actually looks something like a shaving brush handle (http://www.amazon.com/Finishing-Kabuki-Brush-1/dp/B004O9P6H0/ref=pd_sim_hpc_8)

yes i have both the brushes mentioned here.... the finishing brush is a bit smaller... BUT it seems to be easier *(to me) to make a lather....

the bigger brush makes a "finer" lather... and can at times seem to be wiping the lather off instead of laying it on........ *(don't get me wrong it works wonderfully)....

the finishing brush makes a great brush.... and would be a good choice for travel etc..

proxy.php

proxy.php

yes i have both the brushes mentioned here.... the finishing brush is a bit smaller... BUT it seems to be easier *(to me) to make a lather....

the bigger brush makes a "finer" lather... and can at times seem to be wiping the lather off instead of laying it on........ *(don't get me wrong it works wonderfully)....

the finishing brush makes a great brush.... and would be a good choice for travel etc..

Thanks for the pics! How is the face feel on the finisher?

Also I should have pointed out that most Wallmarts seem to carry this one too, so most people should have access to it as well if they want to compare them before they buy.

Thanks for the pics! How is the face feel on the finisher?

Also I should have pointed out that most Wallmarts seem to carry this one too, so most people should have access to it as well if they want to compare them before they buy.
well... i am not having any allergic reaction so i am happy as a pig in poop.......

the brushes are BOTH luxurious..... very soft.... very smooth.... i am satisfied with my purchases...

and i recommend them to anyone *(especially anyone with a reaction to badger)

Loric, you are crazy lunatic nut. If you manage to make this the next M&F thread... :a6:

Your just scared to read another 85 page thread :001_tt2: Besides with out "crazy lunatic nuts" trying random new shaving implements, things might be a lot less interesting around here.

Top Bottom