What's new

EcoTools Bamboo Brush: Bang for Buck Heavy Weight Champ of the World

According to the company's website, the brush is made from "cruelty-free taklon bristles". According to Wikipedia, "Taklon is the common name for a synthetic fiber used in artist-quality paint, makeup and pin strip brushes" and "Taklon is made in several sizes, ranging from 0.08mm to .15mm, which mimic hair, to .20mm, which mimics boar bristle".

Make-up brushes really? What's next eye shadow?

Laugh all you want, but a tool is a tool is a tool. You can turn a screw with a butter knife, and you can make shaving lather with a make up brush. This "butter knife" happens to work as good as most any "power drill" you will come across. They can market this thing to whomever they want, but its not as if its covered in daisies and pink ribbons. It has a gender neutral design, wood metal and bristles dont scream feminine to me. If thats not enough for you men on this vary board use floral scented products daily with impunity. I cant use floral's every day, nor would I sell all of my traditional shaving brushes for bronzer brushes, but at the end the day the naked 9/8" of 150 year old Sheffield steal I wave about my face leaves me with no doubt in my masculinity.

You see posts here all the time looking for a good shaving brush at a minimal cost. With the economy the way it is, the pattern is not going to change. There are other brushes at this cost, however I dont like them, and I cant honestly suggest any as I dont like overly skritchy brushes with medicore density. This is a legitimate dense and decadently soft brush that anyone can afford. Not everyone needs or wants these qualities, but its hardly a crime to give people an option at this price point.

Last edited:
Laugh all you want, but a tool is a tool is a tool. You can turn a screw with a butter knife, and you can make shaving lather with a make up brush. This "butter knife" happens to work as good as most any "power drill" you will come across. They can market this thing to whomever they want, but its not as if its covered in daisies and pink ribbons. It has a gender neutral design, wood metal and bristles dont scream feminine to me. If thats not enough for you men on this vary board use floral scented products daily with impunity. I cant use floral's every day, nor would I sell all of my traditional shaving brushes for bronzer brushes, but at the end the day the naked 9/8" of 150 year old Sheffield steal I wave about my face leaves me with no doubt in my masculinity.

You see posts here all the time looking for a good shaving brush at a minimal cost. With the economy the way it is, the pattern is not going to change. There are other brushes at this cost, however I dont like them, and I cant honestly suggest them as I dont like overly skritchy brushes with medicore density. This is a legitimate dense and decadently soft brush that anyone can afford. Not everyone needs or wants these qualities, but its hardly a crime to give people an option at this price point.

Well said sir! I for one, will be picking one up next time I'm in my local WalMart. Soft Tips, density, and backbone? Put a pink handle on it for all I care...I, like you, would proudly display it next to the Eskilstuna Wedge that should be here any day.:wink2:

Thanks for the review, I had eyeballed this last Christmas while shopping with SWMBO, she came by and said she had one at home I could have. Long story short, it was quite a bit smaller and not as dense... my curiosity subsided and I forgot about it. I think I'm off to Walmart tomorrow :sneaky2:

I got one not too long ago and Loric speaks the truth -- the freaking thing is great, lather is super thick and perhaps under-hydrated, but super slick and very effective. The brush is cheap and seems well made, no complaints so far. It dries really fast as well, a plus for traveling. The handle is kinda long, but I have found that if I put the butt of the handle deep into my palm I can face lather pretty well -- you don't have to be gentle with it either, doesn't shed at all.

That said, I have sort of gravitated back to my short lofted boars and badgers, but I like a little more scrub, and the Eco Tools Bamboo brush is real real soft (still with backbone though).

I hear rumor they can only harvest this grade of hair from the inside of frog ears.

Your very welcome and your guess is as good as mine!
They don't kill the frogs to get this do they? Please tell me it is more like shearing a sheep, and they just "harvest" the hair. And then how do the frogs manage until new ear hair grows in? Do they wear earwigs?

This is very interesting. Since the height of the handle seems to be the biggest drawback, have you considered cutting it down a bit? Just above the logo maybe... at $7 it's not a costly experiment if something goes wrong.

$bamboobrush.jpg

This is very interesting. Since the height of the handle seems to be the biggest drawback, have you considered cutting it down a bit? Just above the logo maybe... at $7 it's not a costly experiment if something goes wrong.

Actually I had considered this, but the brush is what it is. Although not perfect its interesting to hold in a "now for something completely different" kind of way. Honestly if I was going to change one thing about the brush it would be the loft. I am normally the biggest cheer leader on the board for shorter lofts, but in this case another 5~7mm would be wonderful for lather holding capacity.

They don't kill the frogs to get this do they? Please tell me it is more like shearing a sheep, and they just "harvest" the hair. And then how do the frogs manage until new ear hair grows in? Do they wear earwigs?

Actually they only harvest the ear hair after they harvest the frog legs. As you may or may not know frogs are suffer terribly from OCD. So while they master jumping on the cute little crutches, they hardly even notice any missing hair. I'm sure earwigs would be provided should they be required, but to the best of my knowledge I'v never heard of such a request.

Last edited:
Good on you Loric for checking this out AND posting- THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I LOVE b&b! I am appalled at the price of some brushes (I did buy a Vision tonight though for 115 bucks and have no problem as that is mechanical object made from METAL!!!) and was reading alot about this lately.

I tried a 12 dollar body shop brush today and was happy with it, it will be my travel brush for sure and I am waiting for an Omega pro 49 and maderite 100 to arrive next week. I have an Omega boar now and it is fine, just want to try a few things.

I like that this has a long handle and to be honest I will probably buy it tomorrow. I was looking at horsehair brushes too and those piqued my interest; mostly due to great reviews and under 30 dollar price. I would like a real nice horn handle or something exotic and that may be a reson to shell out some bucks but for a regular handled badger no way. I will NOT buy a 100+ dollar brush ever I think-
For 10 bucks or less even if it falls apart in less than a year if it can deliver what Loric claims it is worth in, even in pink! function over form is my thing! ( Says the guy in lust with a vision!). Well what ever makes your face feel good should trump all. Merry Christmas to all of you well shaven men!

Tried many of the cosmetic brushes, and never found any stiff enough ,or wet enough to work. Would especially like to find a twist up one for the travel pack. Alas, all the name brand and off brand twist ups were a failure.Will give this one a try. With that long of a handle, i may be able to find a cylinder that will slide up and cover the bristles for travel.Taklon pretty popular with watercolorists, so should hold water well. (sic)

@Jason- I hear you! I realized I may have just put my foot in my well shaved mouth! I wouldn't mind a beautifully handled brush for the bucks but a regular badger NEVER!!!
I would never pay that much for a pure badger, but for my savile row 3824 i would buy it again in a heart beat.

went and checked out this brush today. its 9 bucks and change. seemed pretty good and very very soft. But there was another bronzer brush labeled "Mineral" with a shorter handle and it was 7 bucks and change. A little less soft. I went ahead and picked it up. Just shaved with it a little bit ago. It lost some hairs and was hard to build a face lather with just like was described with the ecotools brush. with a little practice and switch to bowl lathering I'm sure it would be great and for that cheap u cant beat it but its too soft for me. I couldnt even feel the brush through the lather. I like a good massage from my brush and this one wont do it

The brushes are made with synthetic Taklon fibers, developed by DuPont and licensed to a Japanese company for production.

This link is to a more traditional shape, and a brush that SWMBO says might be a bit thicker/stiffer, you know, because it's a "finishing" brush. Huh? I wonder if the thicker Taklon fibers are used on any of the currently available synthetic shaving brushes being sold currently-- I wouldn't be surprised. Google these brushes and you can find them being sold many places.
I actually would really like to try one--very interesting thread!

Interesting. The only think I'm curious about is how well the brush is glued in. It isn't designed to get wet, so it probably isn't epoxied in as well as a shaving brush. I guess time will tell.

My wife uses L'oreal True Match make up. It's a powder that comes in a small container with a brush. You remove the cap, unscrew the brush, dip it in the powder, and apply.

I've always wondered how this would work as a travel kit. Just fill up the bottom portion with cream or a soft soap, and you'd be good to go.

proxy.php

No, the silver portion in the middle is the only handle you'd get.

And I steal her empty cosmetic and hair product containers all the time. I usually rescue them from the recycling bin. They are the perfect size for putting sample size ammounts of soft soaps in them for PIFs and travel bags. Here is one that I've used:

proxy.php

Top Bottom