What's new

Ebay is killing me

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Sympathies. Even "better" is when you get miserable scum-sucking spam/fishing/theft/virus emails that use ebay/amazon/FedEx/UPS headers or information.

You don't want to block legit ones from these, so.

AA

Whenever I unsubscribe from something I do not want, I am getting more crap in my inbox. I have the feeling they sell the unsubscribed email addresses!!!

Most unsubscribe (not some... MOST, like 80-90%... including MAJOR businesses) features are actually a scam that confirms the email address is valid/monitored and they then can sell your email address for more $. I don't bother anymore. 100% report as spam and block.

As he noted, eBay is tricky because you can't outright block them if you use them.

Most unsubscribe (not some... MOST, like 80-90%... including MAJOR businesses) features are actually a scam that confirms the email address is valid/monitored and they then can sell your email address for more $. I don't bother anymore. 100% report as spam and block.

As he noted, eBay is tricky because you can't outright block them if you use them.
Here are some simple things you can look for to detect spam, though the criminals are getting more clever every day. This one is fairly obvious, in my opinion. It is a "response" to an order you never placed. Looking at the email address, it is from Gmail. Companies don't use Gmail. Normally I would not even open the email, but I wanted to give a real life example and I have other protections in my email system so it will not run any scripts automatically. Does that mean it is foolproof? Not at all. Nothing is foolproof once you are connected to the Internet. NEVER open the attachment, and yes, the emphasis is on never. Never open a link from the email either. If it looks valid, go to the company's website via either a known good link or looking it up in a search engine, then contact customer services or look at messages if the site has that capability. I will unsubscribe to known subscriptions, but not to unknown subscriptions. For example, I don't have any issue unsubscribing to a West Coast Shaving, Captain's Choice, Stirling Soaps, etc. (I haven't, even though I don't purchase things unless there is a need and therefore rarely purchase from them) but I wouldn't have an issue clicking on the unsubscribe link if I found myself getting too many emails from them (they all have been pretty respectful of my time). Another thing to look for is misspellings. Those from other countries where English is not the native language often misspell common words. That is not an issue here on the forums, where we understand that it is not everyone's native language. In fact, personally, I don't mind seeing messages in any language here. It is my responsibility to send it through an online translation site to read it. Unless it is Spanish. I am learning Spanish and getting better every day. Better, not good. Grin.

1674237829554.png

1674238007039.png

You should be able to log onto their site, go to your account preferences and communication preferences, and then just uncheck everything you don't want in email. I did this a long time ago and I don't get spam from them.

Get a gmail account and use the + to make one for places you sign up at least that way you can tell if you get other spam with that email it was stole sold or ? And easily blocked

as example your gmail is

[email protected]

as example you can then use

[email protected] or [email protected] as another example of course myname would be whatever your gmail account name is :)

Also for me pretty easy to see if its a legit unsubscribe or not and yeah to any I am suspect of that come in as spam or I know I never signed up would just confirm you
but any legit I have never had issues with

the nice thing about the + is IF you get spam you can then go in and just block anything from that address ever coming in

Upside also to this is super easy since you do not have to set anything extra up etc...

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
My only problem with eBay is that emails I want from them go to my junk folder. I tried putting them in my contact list. No help. All eBay email goes to my junk folder along with the other daily emails which are usually over 100 per day. It’s funny that my Gmail account never gets spam mail. My yahoo mail box gets bombarded. Both the junk folder and inbox. I won a toaster three times yesterday. I’d need to rent a storage shed to keep all the neat stuff I’ve won.

Top Bottom