What's new

EBAY DIGEST: Interesting Shaving Related Recent Sales Recap

Very new here and might not be unusual at all but thoughts? Mini Razor and Brush.
proxy.php

http://www10.trademe.co.nz/antiques-collectables/art-deco-retro/other/auction-943426289.htm

Last edited:
That walbusch went for hundreds less than it should have. It's like a $300-400 razor with a good bakelite baseplate and no zinc pest issues.

Just won this the other day. Nicest coticule I have seen on eBay in ages and hysterically cheap. If I wanted a modern stone of that size it would be a big ask from Ardennes and cost me hundreds as they don't sell glued combos with Belgian blue anymore. It has some major tells of.being a special stone. It is very white looking. It might have a chance of being pretty close to kosher once lapped. It was kept in an ornate box that was cloth lined so someone really valued it. Also, dirt aside, it is pretty immaculately kept. It wasn't used in a rough way.

Just won this the other day. Nicest coticule I have seen on eBay in ages and hysterically cheap. If I wanted a modern stone of that size it would be a big ask from Ardennes and cost me hundreds as they don't sell glued combos with Belgian blue anymore. It has some major tells of.being a special stone. It is very white looking. It might have a chance of being pretty close to kosher once lapped. It was kept in an ornate box that was cloth lined so someone really valued it. Also, dirt aside, it is pretty immaculately kept. It wasn't used in a rough way.

Congrats! I really wish I knew what was what with these stones. I'm sure it has a lot to do with experience(#1) and research. I would love to get into honing straight razors. My reasons might be a little off the beaten path, but I've been making things sharp(very sharp) for more than 30 years. Many different types of edges, but never straight razors. Straight razors kind of draw me in, because of the extent at which they can be honed. This may sound odd to some, but once you've caught the bug, well....

Congrats! I really wish I knew what was what with these stones. I'm sure it has a lot to do with experience(#1) and research. I would love to get into honing straight razors. My reasons might be a little off the beaten path, but I've been making things sharp(very sharp) for more than 30 years. Many different types of edges, but never straight razors. Straight razors kind of draw me in, because of the extent at which they can be honed. This may sound odd to some, but once you've caught the bug, well....

Doesn't sound odd to me at all, I am right there with you, I too have been making things sharp for over 30 years but up until very recently never touched a straight razor. It is challenging to say the least but a lot of fun at the same time. I also have no idea what the big thing is with Coticule but I intend to do some research and find out. I like my Water Stones and Arkansas a LOT though so unless this thing can put an edge that can rival a precision laser cut edge I am not likely to spend the coin on one.

Coticules are the most forgiving type of edge you can put on a straight razor. You can also. Use a coticule (the bbw backing as well) to cover 4-10000 grit using slurries and dilutions if you have the right example. Some can top out finer.

Just had a look, 200x75 mm is the biggest they have right now, and it is backed with useless slate vs this which is bbw and the price is €353. The bbw side would be another €85...

So......... What we're saying here ........ is that the 'interest' I've had with knives, swords, scalpels, razors, etc for the last forty years ....... How sharp they are, keeping them sharp ...... and making them sharper ....... Isn't 'odd' at all .........

...... And here I was thinking I'd best keep that to myself in the pub ........ Only to find that you lot are just as 'odd'

Colour me relieved, I tell you! :laugh:

I've been lucky enough to score one incredible improperly listed razor. Wow, what a rush it was, too! It does lead to seeking yet another improperly listed razor, though. YMMV!
Do you have the link?

Just wanna make sure I did not inflate your price too. LOL.

Top Bottom