What's new

Dollars Tree DE - Tech clone?

Okay, it's time to play Lego's with this razor. I know how the Assured razor works on its own, but can it be Frankenrazored into something more efficient?

I have a Gillette ball-end Tech from 1960 (F2) that I also know the performance of. I'll use the Assured handle just for giggles, and as my control. This shave is on a three-day growth of coarse facial hair. Blade is a Gillette Nacet on its 2nd shave. Cream is a plain Arko stick.

Experiment #1: Assured cap with Tech base plate. Left side of my face.

Experiment #2: Tech cap with Assured base plate. Right side of my face.

Maybe we can get some useful data from this $1.25 razor. If I carve my face up, I'll blame Lady Zig.

Update to my post (right before this one).

Experiment #1:
No difference between this and the all-Assured shave. I wanted to say it was a tiny bit more mild, but it was just me adjusting to the Assured's cap angle. Semi-aggressive shave, but no nicks or weepers. I have no real complaints, as I prefer a more aggressive razor for my coarse facial hair.

Experiment #2:
Much more mild, but not as mild as just using a Tech. No nicks or weepers, but I did need more buffing on this one.

I'll repeat this in three days (since that's what I started with) everything stays the same, but I'll switch which side of my face gets which set-up.

Update to my post (right before this one).

Experiment #1:
No difference between this and the all-Assured shave. I wanted to say it was a tiny bit more mild, but it was just me adjusting to the Assured's cap angle. Semi-aggressive shave, but no nicks or weepers. I have no real complaints, as I prefer a more aggressive razor for my coarse facial hair.

Experiment #2:
Much more mild, but not as mild as just using a Tech. No nicks or weepers, but I did need more buffing on this one.

I'll repeat this in three days (since that's what I started with) everything stays the same, but I'll switch which side of my face gets which set-up.

I was thinking about your experiment, earlier. I need to find another handle for mine.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
If you decide to buy one, please post here so that I can get your opinions on it. I'm very interested to get everyone's feedback. Personally, I'm impressed, and I'd be surprised if it didn't get a bit of a following.
Well a search through my local DT turned up a basket full of both the TTO and 3 piece Assured for Men razors, so I grabbed a 3 piece to see what the fuss was about. Hey the back of the package shows a TTO, could it really be two razors in one package I thought?
20220503_212554[1].jpg20220503_214515[1].jpg
Imagine my disappointment when upon opening up the package there was indeed only one razor. And the package also says the plastic handle is steel. :confused2

Loading a blade in this razor gives me pause, the exposure is truly insane. Makes my R41 look tame.

~doug~

Interesting experiment, though I'd just get an all-brass vintage pre-war Tech, clean and polish it up. Put a shim under the blade for a bit more aggression. User grade Techs can be found for $12 or so and will last more or less forever compared to the throw-away stuff.

Well a search through my local DT turned up a basket full of both the TTO and 3 piece Assured for Men razors, so I grabbed a 3 piece to see what the fuss was about. Hey the back of the package shows a TTO, could it really be two razors in one package I thought?
View attachment 1450082View attachment 1450083
Imagine my disappointment when upon opening up the package there was indeed only one razor. And the package also says the plastic handle is steel. :confused2

Loading a blade in this razor gives me pause, the exposure is truly insane. Makes my R41 look tame.

~doug~

If you like the R41, I think you'll enjoy it. My recommendation is to use a mild to medium blade, first.

Interesting experiment, though I'd just get an all-brass vintage pre-war Tech, clean and polish it up. Put a shim under the blade for a bit more aggression. User grade Techs can be found for $12 or so and will last more or less forever compared to the throw-away stuff.

It's not a family heirloom or anything, obviously; I'm just going down another rabbit hole in the hobby and entertaining myself with el cheapo shave equipment. Kind of a fun diversion, really.

FWIW, I have a FATBOY and a Red Tip on the way, too. I've got a fairly solid collection of old and new - straights and DE's, none of them cheap, but this is definitely a fun sub-category.

Checked my local DT for these and couldn't find them. They still had the TTOs though. Oddly enough I found a shave brush though ( same Assured 'brand' ). It was a tiny and sad-looking thing and I couldn't force myself to purchase it. They only appeared to have one of the brushes.

Bit the bullet this weekend and bought one of these while traveling. I used it Saturday morning with the supplied blade, and I ended up with a shave. No blood, no nicks, no irritation but it wasn't a 'great' shave. I had to fight to keep the blade on my face it seemed. I'm willing to blame that on the blade to a certain extent, but I've had that same issue with other razors that don't have as much 'heft'.

I have three more things I'd like to try. 1. different blade. 2. different handle. 3. that blade in a different razor. I'll report back.

I tried a Polsilver Super Iridium in it today, and while it changed the shave slightly for the better it also turned it slightly more dangerous. The lightweight head means it's difficult to let the razor do the work. I ended up nicking myself a few times because I was applying a little too much pressure to keep the razor head on my face.

I suspect I could 'train' myself to use this razor without mishap, but at this point, I've had two fairly sub-par shaves with it and I'm not sure what I'd be accomplishing. I'll probably try the blades in a different razor just for the experience, but I'm not sure I'm ready to try this razor again anytime soon. I may still try it on a heavier handle just to do it, but I'm going to give it a break for a bit because I'd really just like to use another razor tomorrow :)

Unless cost ( or adventure ) is just a determining factor for you there's just not much here to recommend from me. I know OP enjoys his so that is good at least, but I appreciate a slightly smoother experience. That said I don't begrudge the purchase or the experience ... at worse, I'll end up with a spare handle and the knowledge I'm one of the few people on Earth to have a shave with a Polsilver and this razor :)

Last edited:
Definitely try a different handle. I replaced the issue handle on mine with one from a Gillette Tech found in my junk box. The extra weight made a big difference for me, making the razor much more controllable plus just feeling more normal in my hand. A light touch is still important of course but at least it's not as bitey as my Ikon Tek.

Top Bottom