What's new

Dollars Tree DE - Tech clone?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
That looks terrible. Either it's a weird blade or that safety bar is warped. It wavers down the entire length, both sides, but especially the right. Is the blade clamped wavy? Scary.

Looks to be stamped crudely out of soft metal. Pass.

I'll stick with my vintage Gillette Techs, most of which were almost that cheap.

I noticed this as well! At first I thought I was just seeing things, it couldn't be that bad! But then I kept looking at the pics, and I was like, nope, it really is like that. And look at that bad metal too, the top cap is not even smooth, there's burrs everywhere!

But its only what a 1.20 dollar razor, so you get what you pay for, and to be truly honest, its amazing what you do get for 1.20! But ya, I think I will stick with my more expensive razors. But I am glad that someone here took one for the team, so that way we all get to know.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
But its only what a 1.20 dollar razor, so you get what you pay for, and to be truly honest, its amazing what you do get for 1.20!
True. If you know what you're doing it's possible to shave with one in a pinch.

My problem with this junk is that a prospective new DE shaver is trying one out as a remedy for all the high-priced multi-blade alternatives and says "Whoa, this stinks", gives up and never gets the chance to try one of our nice smooth units.

Oh, well. One can hope maybe that guy will google something and end up on B&B.

I've been in my Dollar Tree several times, never have I ever seen a DE razor for sale. But then again, the last time I was in a Dollar Tree was probably 3-years ago, so could be a new thing they are selling now. It will be interesting to hear people's reports on that dollar razor.
They kinda hide them in a basket. I thought they only sold the tech clone, but today I found the TTOs buried under the tech clones. The dollar stores run on the cheap -- I can just picture the stock person emptying a box of Assured razors into the basket like they were peanuts.
football soccer GIF by Borussia Dortmund

I picked up one a while ago "just for to see" and decided I didn't want to go with a cheap razor and a cheap blade for the first go so I put a Personna in it. Brand new blade. I'm not sure what happened but the razor seemed to totally negate any slickness from the lather and it felt like the razor was sticking to my face! A sort of rubbery friction. I got more nicks that one time using it than I have in over a year with other razors/blades combined. In case it was a faulty blade I put it in my Lord razor the next time and not a weeper in sight. I might try it again but currently it's been relegated to a curiosity rather than put into my rotation.

So does the DT one look like my Rapira when loaded with a blade?
Regarding the TTO, did you dig in the basket? There may be one or two hiding there.

Looks slightly different to me. Yeah, I raked through the basket due to your earlier post, but didn't find one.
Hmmm, maybe I should splurge for $1.25 and get one. I'd never try the TTO, though. Too much can go wrong with all the moving parts (I know, it's only $1.25, but add in the cost of an emergency room visit when the razor falls apart during a shave...), whereas less can go wrong with a 3-piece.
Funny, I've seen people post that TTOs are simpler. Yea, maybe to load the blade. But otherwise, a 3-piece is the simplest.

So folks, who would actually shave with the Rapira I pictured? Is a Muhle R41 as bad as that?

Lady Zig got me three of these Tech style razors. She knew I was looking for Tech compatible parts. The cap, base plate, and handle are all Tech compatible (unless your Tech's cap has the "rib" along the underside, as there aren't cut-outs for it on the base plate).

The cap and base plate are stamped metal. The handle is black plastic with a metal top for the cap's threads, even though the package says METAL HANDLE. The handle is hollow, as I found out by cutting off 1/2" from the bottom.
Fit is just fine: everything tightens perfectly with no cross-threading. No parts are bent, warped, etc.
Finish is fine for the price. The metal parts all have uneven plating, but no Zamak is exposed. The plastic handle felt fine and didn't have any uncomfortable molding lines.

How's it shave? Compared to a Tech, it's pretty aggressive. Not enough to tear your face up, but you definitely won't need shims with this razor. The five included Assured brand DE blades are fine; I've used worse from Van Der Hägen, Matgicol, and Merkur.

Top Bottom