What's new

Dollar Store After Shaves 2020

Even Brut and Skin Bracer have disappeared a lot of places. It's also absurd most places charge for OS.
Wal-Mart is your best friend it has all of the classic after shaves at the cheapest prices and freshest batches, Since they sell so much and they are always restocking. Check online on their site before heading to the store to see if what ever after shave you are looking for is in stock. I stopped going to regular drug stores 4-5 years ago once I discovered the variety and prices of walmart.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks, Jesse! Even though you were kind enough to ignore my omission of "what" in my quoted post, above... just to clarify to everyone - I did not mean to suggest OS should be free ;)
I understood you. I think the price of the original has gone up so much because of the lack of competition from Vijohn. I actually think Vijohn's version was better, POSSIBLY not as long lasting?

I understood you. I think the price of the original has gone up so much because of the lack of competition from Vijohn. I actually think Vijohn's version was better, POSSIBLY not as long lasting?
I've heard that! Some suggested mixing it with "real" OS but I never got the chance.

Memory can be faulty but I feel pretty sure that the OS aftershave I got recently is not nearly as strong in scent as the first bottle I bought a number of years ago when I was new to all this...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've heard that! Some suggested mixing it with "real" OS but I never got the chance.

Memory can be faulty but I feel pretty sure that the OS aftershave I got recently is not nearly as strong in scent as the first bottle I bought a number of years ago when I was new to all this...
There is no question that my brain and nose are getting old....but I feel certain today's Old Spice is but a poor, faint copy of the stuff from my youth!

Aha, I knew it! They should just sell an extra strength version.... it's not like they don't currently have 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 Old Spice flanker products on the market already. Some stores should just have a dedicated OS variant deodorant aisle 😂

FarmerTan, lol. Seriously....

"Hello, Sir, can I help you find something?"

"Yes, um, where is the Old Spice deodorant?

"Well, the whole right side of Aisle 8 is the Swagger line, Aisle 9 is Fiji..."

I don't think it's because of a lack of Vijon that OS is soexpensive. Most Proctor & Gamble products are overpriced look at the old spice deodorants, Gillette higher end shaving gels the prices are ridiculous it's always been that way.

Of course it's not the same they have reformulated it at least 2 more times in the last 5-6 years. I had a bottle in 2017 it smelled like garbage but the scent was very very strong and so was the alcohol burn. I bought a bottle in 2019 it was pure water barely any scent nor burn it is ridiculous and charging so much. You can just get Aqua Velva or Skin Bracer for $4.53-4.77 at Wal-Mart and they are 100x better than even the Shulton formula.

FarmerTan, lol. Seriously....

"Hello, Sir, can I help you find something?"

"Yes, um, where is the Old Spice deodorant?

"Well, the whole right side of Aisle 8 is the Swagger line, Aisle 9 is Fiji..."
And even those two scents got reformulated a few years back they aren't as bad as the original after shave but they aren't as good either but still very tolerable. I remember 2 years ago a local supermarket had 1 old stock Swagger in the back of the shelf it had expired in 2016 I smelled it oh my so much better than the current Swagger. P&G claims it's because of the FDA's regulations every once in a while they have to do this but I feel thats only part of the story they are just cheap. Look at just how good Aqua Velva and Skin Bracer and a lot of other after shaves are still today, Yet they are still cheaper price wise than OS.

Our only hope for a decent Spice scent would be if Vijon makes a a come back which I highly doubt. Or if Blue Cross Labs manufactures their after shaves again for some one like Dollar Tree like they did many years ago but I also highly doubt that as well. What I find ironic is that till this day Dollar Tree still has Blue Cross Labs manufacture lot of products for them like their Oil Of Life body washes, or their Elmo baby lotion, or their coconut vit e cream and many other products.

But they do not carry the after shaves. Someone told me it's because they already have their Assured garbage ones. I told him I doubt that for every or almost Blue Cross Labs products they have they also carry their own assured brand as well they have both. Vijon still makes liquid hand soaps for the Dollar General brand and they make the Swan brand mouthwashes for dollar stores. I feel at times that maybe after shaves especially bargain ones don't have a big market but who knows.

Last edited:
While at the Dollar Tree yesterday I grabbed a bottle of "Assured Green" aftershave. The scent seemed to be close enough to Skin Bracer/Barbasol Brisk. Last night's shave proved otherwise. It has an off-putting top note of something unpleasantly "soapy". The sweet "powdery" menthol profile is barely there.

Given Barbasol Brisk is available for $2.29USD shipped free with in-store pickup there is no need to ever buy that DT product.

Family Dollar's Old Spice clone? Been there, done that, asked not to use it again LOL.

While at the Dollar Tree yesterday I grabbed a bottle of "Assured Green" aftershave. The scent seemed to be close enough to Skin Bracer/Barbasol Brisk. Last night's shave proved otherwise. It has an off-putting top note of something unpleasantly "soapy". The sweet "powdery" menthol profile is barely there.

Given Barbasol Brisk is available for $2.29USD shipped free with in-store pickup there is no need to ever buy that DT product.

Family Dollar's Old Spice clone? Been there, done that, asked not to use it again LOL.
To me the Assured brand after shave smells absolutely nothing like Skin Bracer. All I get is pure chemicals in there. And why did they tell you not to wear the Family Dollar Spice? I think it smells lovely just like Old Spice before the reformulation.

Top Bottom