What's new

Doctor Who - Warning, Spoilers!

I think the show would do well dispensing with all of their social causes/justice "campaigns" and follow the genesis background notes.

Sci Fi stories have been inspired by the social questions of the day going all the way back to HG Wells. Why would Doctor Who be any different?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Note their comments about the Dr Who character ...

DR. WHO A frail old man lost in space and time. They give him this name because they don't know who he is. He seems not to remember where he has come from; he is suspicious and capable of sudden malignance; he seems to have some undefined enemy; he is searching for something as well as fleeing from something. He has a "machine" which enables them to travel together through time, through space, and through matter.

This was certainly still part of the character well into Hartnell's run.

And here ...

Neither are we writing fantasy: the events have got to be credible to the three ordinary people who are our main characters, and they are sharp-witted enough to spot a phoney.

Again, the Doctor did not start out being the star of the show.

Sci Fi stories have been inspired by the social questions of the day going all the way back to HG Wells. Why would Doctor Who be any different?

From the notes ...

The Secret of Dr. Who: In his own day, somewhere in our future, he decided to search for a time or for a society or for a physical condition which is ideal, and having found it, to stay there. He stole the machine and set forth on his quest. He is thus an extension of the scientist who has opted out, but he has opted farther than ours can do, at tne moment. And having opted out, he is disintegrating.

[Handwritten note from Sydney Newman: "Don't like this at all. Dr Who will become a kind of father figure - I don't want him to be a reactionary."]

One symptom of this is his hatred of scientist, inventors, improvers. He can get into a rare paddy when faced witn a cave man trying to invent a wheel. He malignantly tries to stop progress (the future) wherever he finds it, while searching for his ideal (the past). This seems to me to involve slap up-to-date moral problems, and old ones too.

I think the problem with the current approach to dealing with up-to-date moral problems isn't so much that they are doing it, but the simplistic, one-sided, over-the-top, beat-you-in-the-head-with-our-moralising approach they take.

I think the problem with the current approach to dealing with up-to-date moral problems isn't so much that they are doing it, but the simplistic, one-sided, over-the-top, beat-you-in-the-head-with-our-moralising approach they take.
I can see that. Moral "grey areas" tend to be far more thought-provoking than evil corporations or aliens that are obsessed with killing/enslaving everyone. One of the better examples of that was (spoilers!) when the reptile-people (saurians?) were waking up underground and they had to decide who "owned" the planet. Still a little on the simplistic side, but at least there wasn't an obvious "right" answer.

On a related note, I've found that they sometimes gloss over truly horrible occurrences. In "dinosaurs in space" (or was it "on a spaceship?") they quietly shuffled past the horrible truth of what happened to the crew. Seriously: they were woken up from stasis, one by one, and dragged to an airlock where they were then thrown out into the void. Maybe it's just me, but I find that to be one of Dr. Who's darkest, most morbid moments--and certainly one which had little impact on the main characters. They're outraged at a single person dying in front of them, but finding out they're on a ghost ship that was effectively the site of genocide? No big deal. :001_unsur

One symptom of this is his hatred of scientist, inventors, improvers. He can get into a rare paddy when faced witn a cave man trying to invent a wheel. He malignantly tries to stop progress (the future) wherever he finds it, while searching for his ideal (the past).

Well, I'm glad this wasn't followed (in the strictest sense) in the modern series. Sure, he occasionally rants about humans messing with things they don't understand, but generally he applauds science and exploration while condemning the "nefarious" ways mankind harnesses that knowledge. (i.e. splitting the atom = :a14:; nukes = :nono:)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
One of the better examples of that was (spoilers!) when the reptile-people (saurians?) were waking up underground and they had to decide who "owned" the planet.

Silurians.

They're outraged at a single person dying in front of them, but finding out they're on a ghost ship that was effectively the site of genocide? No big deal. :001_unsur

That can be a hard concept for the living to grasp. At least if you're Lister.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Who is forcing you to watch Who?

It's like someone took your favourite old sweater ... the one you've worn and loved for years ... and laminated on a "vote for XXX" slogan (insert the name of whichever politician you yourself find particularly disturbing. Trump or Clinton, Cameron or Corbyn, so on and so forth) so now the sweater is "ruined" as far as you are concerned.

Nobody's forcing you to wear the sweater.

But something you have loved and enjoyed for years and years now has an unsavoury (to you) message that is glaring at you every time you try to enjoy your old fabvourite. Dang shame.

It's like someone took your favourite old sweater ... the one you've worn and loved for years ... and laminated on a "vote for XXX" slogan (insert the name of whichever politician you yourself find particularly disturbing. Trump or Clinton, Cameron or Corbyn, so on and so forth) so now the sweater is "ruined" as far as you are concerned.

But something you have loved and enjoyed for years and years now has an unsavoury (to you) message that is glaring at you every time you try to enjoy your old fabvourite. Dang shame.

Excellent analogy!

For the life of me, I can’t figure out what unsavory messages Doctor Who has been sending. I thought letting Capaldi speak in his Scottish accent was progress compared to what they made Tennant do.

Or it's like you have an old sweater that you have loved for 40 years and surprisingly made better, only to have others come along and pick holes in it. It's a bit grumpy, oh no look at those effects, but if he did that it would be inconsistent with 4th doctor series 4 episode 6, die Moffat die already, crikey not Daleks again.

Maybe I'm just not sensitive enough to figure what exactly is being rammed down throats. Is it that characters are gay? Am I missing something else?

I would turn the disgruntled to a bit that really stuck out in that Doctor Who piece I posted.
They deliberately put in a hip, sassy 15 year old girl because 14 year old boys and girls were the target audience.
Nothing has really changed since then. They put in ideas from the modern day and social mores, because they're still targeting teenagers. Perhaps the disgruntled have grown too much, are in Get Off My Lawn mode and have forgotten the show is not really for them anymore.

I enjoy the heck out of it. Stay young.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

For the life of me, I can’t figure out what unsavory messages Doctor Who has been sending. I thought letting Capaldi speak in his Scottish accent was progress compared to what they made Tennant do.
DOCTOR: Well, I don't like it either. Well, it's all right up until the eyebrows. Then it just goes haywire. Look at the eyebrows. These are attack eyebrows. You could take bottle tops off with these.
BARNEY: They are mighty eyebrows indeed, sir.
DOCTOR: They're cross. They're crosser than the rest of my face. They're independently cross. They probably want to cede from the rest of my face and set up their own independent state of eyebrows. That's Scot. I am Scottish. I've gone Scottish?
BARNEY: Oh yes, you are. You are definitely Scots, sir. I, I 'ear it in your voice.
DOCTOR: Oh no, that's good. Oh.
(He practices the long rolling Scottish 'oh' sound.)
DOCTOR: It's good I'm Scottish. I'm Scottish. I am Scottish. I can complain about things, I can really complain about things. Now, give me your coat.

This sums up Capaldi's tenure. It was all there in Deep Breath.

On a related note, I've found that they sometimes gloss over truly horrible occurrences. In "dinosaurs in space" (or was it "on a spaceship?") they quietly shuffled past the horrible truth of what happened to the crew. Seriously: they were woken up from stasis, one by one, and dragged to an airlock where they were then thrown out into the void. Maybe it's just me, but I find that to be one of Dr. Who's darkest, most morbid moments--and certainly one which had little impact on the main characters. They're outraged at a single person dying in front of them, but finding out they're on a ghost ship that was effectively the site of genocide? No big deal. :001_unsur

Did you stop before the end?

Solomon: Whatever you want I can get it for you. Whatever object you desire.
The Doctor: Did the Silurians beg you to stop? Look Solomon. The missiles. See them shine, see how valuable they are? And they’re all yours.
Solomon: You wouldn’t leave me, Doctor.
The Doctor: Enjoy your bounty.

The problem with that is that your old sweater is a bit ratty now, and it doesn't smell great; it's gone a bit baggy and threadbare and the slogan is quite racist and pretty sexist. You still think it looks great, but every time you wear it your kids roll their eyes and mutter something about how ashamed they are and that you should move with the times :001_tt2:

Doctor Who has always been of the time it was made - if you don't like the new stuff, you're lucky enough to have a 50 year history of shows, comics, books and audio series to cherry pick from

Did you stop before the end?
Sure, the bad guy got what was coming to him, but I personally would have expected the truth of the situation to hit the main characters a lot harder than it did. They're running around, having fun, then discover this really dark truth. Yet I don't think the tone changed much to reflect that.

I know that Dr Who (modern, at least) has a history of glossing over death and destruction, but I guess this one just stuck with me.

The show just announced that they have completed and are releasing the Tom Baker era ‘Shada’ aerial written by Douglas Adams. It was in the midst of filming back in the 70’s when a workers strike happened, before the studio/set scenes were shot. They never picked it up and finished it. Some of the exteriors were used in The Five Doctors.

In any case, the BBC animated the missing scenes (like they did with The Power if the Daleks), got Tom Baker and Lalla Ward to voice the animation, and edited the actual footage and animation into a complete production.

Interesting...
proxy.php

The dominant opinion on Twitter is that this outfit bears a striking resemblance to that of the rainbow stripes and suspenders of Robin Williams as Mork.

Top Bottom