What's new

Do you guys soak the whole brush in the sink or just the knot in a cup or mug?

Unless it's a boar brush, I don't soak it at all. Boar brush goes into a coffee cup of warm water for 5-10 minutes (just the knot, the water level is below where the knot goes into the handle)

With a badger brush I just dip the tips before I load the soap onto the brush. Just wet enough to get some soap from the puck onto the brush - then as I face lather, I repeatedly dip the tips to bring small amounts of warm water to the lather I'm building on my face.

There are lots of posts about this topic and, like most topics here, there are lots of conflicting opinions.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
On the rare occasion I use a boar brush then I will soak the knot for couple of minutes before use. For any other knots I have found soaking makes no difference so I simply dip the knot in water, squeeze out any excess, load the soap, then start face lathering, gradually adding water as I go.

I sometimes soak just the knot, in my lathering bowl with some hot water in it, whilst I take a shower.

But it is not really necessary for any of my brushes. In my opinion, you only have to soak brushes with boar and horse hair.

I don’t really think it hurts anything to soak a badger brush, though.

I soak my animal hair brushes in my lather bowl while I shower. It usually is enough to soak about 3/4 of the brush, not up to the glue. With all of my brushes I will leave them in the sink with some water while I wet my beard, brush my hair and apply deodorant.

Top Bottom