What's new

Do you guys soak the whole brush in the sink or just the knot in a cup or mug?

I usually just wet my brush under the faucet for a few seconds and then bowl lather, adding a bit of water as needed. On the occasions when I do soak a brush, it's just 3/4 of the knot (or so) in a bowl or scuttle. Cheers, all!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I used to drop the whole brush in the sink when I used really cheap boar brushes. Then I joined this forum and now I only soak the bristles from about 2/3rds of the way up the handle in a small pottery salt container. I soak all brushes this way regardless of what sort of bristles they are and what material the handle is made out of.

full

I usually soak for like 30 seconds to a minute. I do this before I assemble my razor. Usually it's like 1/4 to 1/2 of the knot. Not sure why you'd need to soak 3/4 of the knot. I'm usually just loading the soap in the tips of the knot not the entire knot where the entire knot looks like a melted marshmallow. I use the brush similar to a paint brush but I see people use paint brushes where they dip the entire brush up to the heel in paint when you only need the tips. 😂😂😂 Less is more...

Is it safe to soak the whole brush? I am afraid soaking the whole brush will weaken the glue at the base

That depends on how you define “soak”, like in just getting the shaving brush wet or immersing the brush in water for a minute or more. Immersing the brush for longer time than three minutes might IMO damage the brush, especially if the handle is made of wood.

But to keep my answer simple; no, I do not soak shave brushes.
I just make sure that the brush fibers are wet.

For that purpose it matters little whether the brush is floating in the sink for a few moments (like if it should drop in the sink by accident) or whether I dip the brush head in the sink, which is what I normally do. I do however immerse the complete brush in clean water after the shave to rinse out any soap residue, but this takes less than 30 seconds.

Some people are of the opinion that any boar brush needs to be soaked for a few minutes, an opinion I do not share.
IMO, that is only true for new boar brushes where the hairs have not split yet, which I take as a sign that they are broken in. For many years I religiously soaked broken boar brushes around for three minutes, until I discovered that it makes no difference and offers no advantage.

As far as I am concerned, shavers can soak their brushes as long as they like, but if someone asks me whether it is really necessary, my answer is (with the exception of a new boar brush) no.

Hope this helps,

B.

No soaking. I just run the knot under running tap and spin it around for a few seconds for any compsition of knot

After reading through this thread I'm left with the same conclusion as I came to after reading multiple "Do you dry your brush bristles up or down" threads. It don't matter one way or another. Just do what ever seems logical to you.

Top Bottom