What's new

Disapppointing scent: TOBS Sandalwood

Taylor of Old Bond Street describes the scent of their "Sandalwood" Shaving Cream like this:

"Taylor of Old Bond Street classic; luxurious and masculine Sandalwood Shaving Cream which creates a uniquely smooth and creamy lather.

A classic fougere fragrance with top notes of geranium, lavender, rosemary and liquid amber supported by a heart of carnation, fern and orange blossom resting on a sumptuous base of patchouli, sandalwood, vetivert, powdery musk and rock rose."

So, it would not have the single note scent of "Sandalwood".

Ingredients lists and product descriptions are an important part of making the right selection for you. Take some time and read through them and that will help you find a product you will like!

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I love TOBS sandalwood cream, never tried the hard soap version. I also like TOBS Aloe Vera.

Taylor of Old Bond Street describes the scent of their "Sandalwood" Shaving Cream like this:

"Taylor of Old Bond Street classic; luxurious and masculine Sandalwood Shaving Cream which creates a uniquely smooth and creamy lather.

A classic fougere fragrance with top notes of geranium, lavender, rosemary and liquid amber supported by a heart of carnation, fern and orange blossom resting on a sumptuous base of patchouli, sandalwood, vetivert, powdery musk and rock rose."

So, it would not have the single note scent of "Sandalwood".

Ingredients lists and product descriptions are an important part of making the right selection for you. Take some time and read through them and that will help you find a product you will like!

Since sandalwood is listed as the 9th scent note, I do not know how they even call the soap sandalwood. It is basically cologne scent with floral notes and some woody and resinous undertones.

Since sandalwood is listed as the 9th scent note, I do not know how they even call the soap sandalwood. It is basically cologne scent with floral notes and some woody and resinous undertones.

That description is exactly that it is a description not an ingredients list. Descriptions are often listed starting with the top notes, then the middle notes and finishing off with the base notes. The top notes are the first things you smell in a scent, middle notes then appear and the base notes are the last thing that can be detected by your nose. This is why "Sandalwood" comes up as 9th in the list, just because it is a base note. (base notes aren't detected right away but rather in time and they hold on the longest because they are a base note!)

Here is the actual ingredients list:
"Water, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Parfum, Sodium Hydroxide, Methylcloroisothiazolinone, Methyllisothiazolinone, CI 42090, CI 19140, CI 17200, (Parfum contains: Linalool, Citronellol, Butylphenyl, Methylpropional, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone)"

under "Parfum" are listed fragrance chemicals which are part of the formulation. Note that you don't see Sandalwood Essential Oil in the list! Also, the description lists it as a "fougere" which tells you what type of fragrance it is. The "Sandalwood" scent may be prominent but other notes of the "fougere" family determine what type of scent it actually is! It helps to understand this to be able to make the right selection of a scent of a shaving product.

That description is exactly that it is a description not an ingredients list. Descriptions are often listed starting with the top notes, then the middle notes and finishing off with the base notes. The top notes are the first things you smell in a scent, middle notes then appear and the base notes are the last thing that can be detected by your nose. This is why "Sandalwood" comes up as 9th in the list, just because it is a base note. (base notes aren't detected right away but rather in time and they hold on the longest because they are a base note!)

Here is the actual ingredients list:
"Water, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Parfum, Sodium Hydroxide, Methylcloroisothiazolinone, Methyllisothiazolinone, CI 42090, CI 19140, CI 17200, (Parfum contains: Linalool, Citronellol, Butylphenyl, Methylpropional, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone)"

under "Parfum" are listed fragrance chemicals which are part of the formulation. Note that you don't see Sandalwood Essential Oil in the list! Also, the description lists it as a "fougere" which tells you what type of fragrance it is. The "Sandalwood" scent may be prominent but other notes of the "fougere" family determine what type of scent it actually is! It helps to understand this to be able to make the right selection of a scent of a shaving product.

Most of the scent notes are listed under the catch all term Parfu. There might be some sandalwood essential oil in the scent, but who knows for sure?

My point was that calling the scent "Sandalwood" is somewhat of a misnomer. Yes, there is an impression of sandalwood in the overall scent, but many other scents are just as prominent. TOBS sandalwood is largely a chemical soup with stearic acid, myristic acid and coconut acid being among the few natural ingredients among a concoction of many synthetic ingredients.

I find that the best use of TOBS sandalwood is removing the funk from natural hair/bristle shaving brushes. The scent is so strong that it masks the scent of even the most pungent of natural brushes. I gave up on using the product for shaving several years ago as I consider the performance to be Tier IV level, barely acceptable.

Most of the scent notes are listed under the catch all term Parfu. There might be some sandalwood essential oil in the scent, but who knows for sure?

My point was that calling the scent "Sandalwood" is somewhat of a misnomer. Yes, there is an impression of sandalwood in the overall scent, but many other scents are just as prominent. TOBS sandalwood is largely a chemical soup with stearic acid, myristic acid and coconut acid being among the few natural ingredients among a concoction of many synthetic ingredients.

I find that the best use of TOBS sandalwood is removing the funk from natural hair/bristle shaving brushes. The scent is so strong that it masks the scent of even the most pungent of natural brushes. I gave up on using the product for shaving several years ago as I consider the performance to be Tier IV level, barely acceptable.

We know for sure that Sandalwood EO is not part of this formula! If it were, it would and should be listed according to proper INCI names for the FDA as "Santalum spicatum (Sandalwood) Essential Oil" and it is not. If it is included in a formula, it would be to the company's benefit to include it in the ingredients list for marketing purposes!

Regarding the other ingredients: "Water, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin" are the "natural" ingredients needed to make the shaving cream. Potassium Hydroxide, Triethanolamine, and Sodium Hydroxide are the
"bases" that turn the natural ingredients into soap, Methylcloroisothiazolinone, Methyllisothiazolinone are preservatives, CI 42090, CI 19140, CI 17200, are colorants and the "Parfum" contains: Linalool, Citronellol, Butylphenyl, Methylpropional, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone.

So, one has to realize in this product using their description that this is a Perfume type scent with a Sandalwood fragrance Scent in the base notes that is prominent but as it is described as a "fougere" so that is what you should expect from this product. One needs to look at the ingredients of a "Sandalwood" Shaving cream, check for "Santalum spicatum (Sandalwood) Essential Oil" and if it is not there and there are other fragrance chemicals then it isn't a single note Sandalwood essential oil scent! They have provided everyone with all the information that tells you this but you just have to learn what I have said above so that you will be able to make an educated choice in selecting a "Sandalwood" scent.

As an example of above post:

Proraso has a shaving cream with Sandalwood Essential Oil in it but that has other fragrance ingredients in it as well:

Aqua (water), Stearic Acid, cocos nucifera (coconut) Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Sodium Hydroxide, Lactic Acid, Parfum (fragrance), butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Hydroxyethlcellulose, citronellol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Coumarin, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Santalum album (Sandalwood) Oil

I have to agree.
I ordered it a few years back and I ended up reselling it. I heard this was the most popular TOBS product and saw so many good reviews on Amazon. However, I have been seeing more and more negative reviews. I wonder if they changed the formula.
I remember looking forward to getting it and was very disappointed.

TOBS has many great scents and I liked almost everything else I bought.
My favorites are Mr Taylor, Almond, and Coconut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I like TOBS Sandalwood. A great performer, slick nourishing lather. I don’t give much of a gee whiz regarding the scent, but I’m challenged that way. Tabac, Arko, all good to me.

The lather itself is OK, but if you really want a sandalwood scent, I’d pass on this. I don’t get a a strong sandalwood out if it. It’s there, but not much of it. Lots of other scents going on that overpower it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer Proraso's take on it as well. That and Proraso white are my favorite wintertime creams. There are a few TOBS creams I'd like to try still.

Top Bottom