What's new

Similar to TOBS sandalwood in scent and lather quality/performance?

I’m looking for a cream that has a similar scent to TOBS sandalwood (musky but clean with a hint of sweetness…to my nose at least) and also performance like TOBS (rich, creamy easy-to-build larger that is slick). I’m moving away from TOBS due to their inclusion of TEA but want something similar.

I’m looking for a cream that has a similar scent to TOBS sandalwood (musky but clean with a hint of sweetness…to my nose at least) and also performance like TOBS (rich, creamy easy-to-build larger that is slick). I’m moving away from TOBS due to their inclusion of TEA but want something similar.
What’s TEA?

It’s triethanolamine. It’s been implicated by some organizations as a carcinogen and causing hormone disruption. There is also MEA and DEA. Those are banned in Europe. I’m not a chemist, so I’m not sure how chemically similar those are to TEA. I suppose di- and mono- instead of tri-, which could be a small or huge difference.

The reality is that it may be totally safe. Or not. But with being spoiled for options, why risk it?

Once I tried Art of Shaving Sandalwood I never went back to TOBS Sandalwood. The performance is outstanding.
Thanks. Unfortunately, it has TEA, too. Yowzas on the price too. Almost triple the price of TOBS (on US Amazon at least).

I suspect I’ll have to look toward creams produced in the EU to avoid TEA. For example, Spieck and Proraso do not contain TEA.

Ditto on AOS sandalwood; it's great.

As for TEA, concentration as applied is really low.

I could not find any reference to it as a carcinogen or hormone whatever.

Here is one top-of-google general reference...

"Is triethanolamine safe to use?

Triethanolamine is safe for the skin and does not have any side effects, as most products keep its concentration between 1% and 3%. At this concentration, triethanolamine is safe for skin application and does not lead to irritation of the skin or any other side effects.Nov 1, 2023
https://www.stylecraze.com/articles...ne is safe for the,or any other side effects.

Triethanolamine: Benefits, Uses, And Safety Concerns - StyleCraze"​

Ditto on AOS sandalwood; it's great.

As for TEA, concentration as applied is really low.

I could not find any reference to it as a carcinogen or hormone whatever.

Here is one top-of-google general reference...

"Is triethanolamine safe to use?

Triethanolamine is safe for the skin and does not have any side effects, as most products keep its concentration between 1% and 3%. At this concentration, triethanolamine is safe for skin application and does not lead to irritation of the skin or any other side effects.Nov 1, 2023
https://www.stylecraze.com/articles/triethanolamine-for-skin/#:~:text=Triethanolamine is safe for the,or any other side effects.

Triethanolamine: Benefits, Uses, And Safety Concerns - StyleCraze"​

It seems like that is generally the concensus amongst most sources for TEA (not for MEA and DEA, which have been more widely condemned). So, it’s probably safe. It’s also in pretty much every shaving cream outside of Proraso and Spieck. I have a Spieck I’m going to see if I can adjust to, and I’ll try the sandalwood Proraso (red). If I can’t get on with those, perhaps I’ll just get a tub a year of TOBS and use something else for the remainder of the year.

To me, TOBS Sandalwood is unique and does not smell at all like what I understand to be true sandalwood scent (Art of Shaving, Proraso). I have not yet found anything that resembles TOBS Sandalwood scent, with or without TEA.

The only other useful advice I can contribute: Speick is an excellent product. I have only used the cream, but it is a winner for performance and general all around wholesome goodness.

My favorite sandalwood shaving cream is Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood. My favorite sandalwood shaving soap is Stirling.

They both work well for me.

Sandalwood is my favorite scent. I don’t even mind the TOBS sandalwood cream and soap, but they don’t smell like true sandalwood.

My favorite sandalwood shaving cream is Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood. My favorite sandalwood shaving soap is Stirling.

They both work well for me.

Sandalwood is my favorite scent. I don’t even mind the TOBS sandalwood cream and soap, but they don’t smell like true sandalwood.
Have you tried a little Salter on the brush then swirled in the Stirling? My newest fascination, although I use the Stirling vanilla and sandalwood. Lather to die for.

TOBS Sandalwood smells like old Grandma perfume at the intensity of AXE Body Spray. It a horrible scent and my wife hates the smell.
I like it but don’t love it. My son hates it, says it smells like a candle. I would venture to say there is not one scent that everyone agrees on, some people have even commented that unscented cream has a weird smell.

I love TOBS Sandalwood but I also love Proraso Nourishing (red tube) Shaving Cream. It is scented with real Sandalwood essential oil. You also get that medicinal Proraso scent but there is just enough real sandalwood scent to satisfy me!

I love TOBS Sandalwood but I also love Proraso Nourishing (red tube) Shaving Cream. It is scented with real Sandalwood essential oil. You also get that medicinal Proraso scent but there is just enough real sandalwood scent to satisfy me!
Use the TOBS followed by the Proraso Red Splash

I think Proraso uses Australian Sandalwood oil. It is not so limited and expensive as the genuine Indian Sandalwood. They are related but different species.

Top Bottom