What's new

Similar to TOBS sandalwood in scent and lather quality/performance?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Taylor's Sandalwood is pretty unique, so if you like it scent and performance-wise just stick with it.

My favourite Sandalwood is Proraso Red, a true, clean, straightforward Sandalwood with outstanding performance.

As far as the scent goes, its a unique enough blend of other scent notes layered on top of sandalwood. Hence why its so polarising (at least on B&B). By sales, its probably one of the most successful mass produced products. Like other commenters have already stated, in terms of performance basically any natural shave soap that has to be manually lathered will blow any cream out of the water. The formulation of TOBS is simply inferior and unfortunately filled with artificial chemicals which most likely also includes the fragrance. Proraso Red (the cream) is imo, not a good suggestion. The scents are quite different and the performance is not what people buy proraso for. AOS Sandalwood (whilst absurdly expensive has arguably the best sandalwood fragrance in a mass-produced product, if not any product). Some of the indian creams also have very nice, genuine sandalwood scents though these are harder to come by.

I was contemplating whether I should or should not reply to this but I may as well. There is nothing pompous about what I've said. These products compared to most are not cheap. Speick, MWF, Cella, Tabac, Vitos, Razorock, TFS and Haslinger are generally cheaper than TOBS and higher quality. Most artisan soap even after small batch importation is at most $5-10 more a tub for a significantly higher quality product. Its not pompous to point out the horrific, mostly synthetic ingredients of most popular shave creams and the provable inferior performance they provide. Anything can provide a viable shave, it doesn't take much but then everybody on B&B would use shavefoam at $2 a can when they're on sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was contemplating whether I should or should not reply to this but I may as well. There is nothing pompous about what I've said. These products compared to most are not cheap. Speick, MWF, Cella, Tabac, Vitos, Razorock, TFS and Haslinger are generally cheaper than TOBS and higher quality. Most artisan soap even after small batch importation is at most $5-10 more a tub for a significantly higher quality product. Its not pompous to point out the horrific, mostly synthetic ingredients of most popular shave creams and the provable inferior performance they provide. Anything can provide a viable shave, it doesn't take much but then everybody on B&B would use shavefoam at $2 a can when they're on sale.
Shaving soaps and lathering shaving creams vary only by water content chemically speaking. Both are soap but the cream has more water initially. I am not talking about foam from a can.

Shaving soaps and lathering shaving creams vary only by water content chemically speaking. Both are soap but the cream has more water initially. I am not talking about foam from a can.
I love using creams. I start them off very quickly in my shave bowl then on to the face to finish building the lather. Shaving, at least to me, is enjoyable and the particular ingredients of these creams is of not interest to me. If I like the scent and performance, I use it.

Top Bottom