What's new

Diary of a NOVICE SR user…

Chapter 1 - “Call me Ismael. Some years ago…🧐

Nah, I promise this diary won’t be as long as “Moby Dick!” (Someday I’ll get to the end and figure out what happened to that “white whale!” 🤓).

It started when I posted a thread on here titled “Why a STRAIGHT razor?,” a thread borne out of genuine curiosity. 🤔

Lo and behold, I’ve been AMAZED at the response, most, if not all of it positive, with no one taking umbrage that I would even dare ask the question.

After reading the responses, and doing the in-depth research (thanks, YouTube!), I decided to take the “plunge” myself, to see what the fuss was all about, especially after I spotted a shavette for only $5 at a local beauty store.

I know what you’re thinking - a shavette is no where near an actual SR, much less one for five bucks.

Hey, Rome wasn’t built in a day, and I’m pretty sure Lance Armstong started out on a TRICYCLE, so cut me some slack, ok? 😒

Anyway, I waited a few days ‘til I had some decent beard growth before I “broke my “SR” cherry.” I made sure to have all my auxiliary tools at hand - for my preshave, the ultra cooling Proraso; for the soap, the equally chilling “Margaritas in the Arctic” by Stirling; for the toner, another shot of “ice” from Stirling’s “Lemon Chill,” and, to finish it off, the wonderfully bracing “Glacial Citron” aftershave splash, also by Stirling. Now, to begin…

Surprisingly, it wasn’t that bad. I wasn’t shooting for “BBS” my first time out, but rather, not to butcher my face! 😱

I proceeded slowly, using short strokes, making sure the blade was as flush against the face as possible. The one thing that helped me was the AURAL experience of it. Once I heard that harsh sound of stubble being scrapped off my face, I knew I was on the right track. 🙂

I had initially only planned to shave just one jowl, but since I escaped any “damage,” I decided to do the other. Afterwards, I decided not to push my luck and finished off with my DE razor, which after using a SR felt surprisingly EASY! 😳

The one thing I noticed is that my arm kept getting in my line of sight the way a DE never has. Definitely something to work on.

That’s it for this first try. I almost escaped without a single “weeper,” except for one… ironically caused by my DE razor! 🙄

So, this is just “chapter one” for me. I’m eager to continue and improve my obviously lackluster skills. SR shaving, like many a skill, is not one that can be mastered in a day. I can see why it fell out of fashion in our hyperactive modern society. It’s certainly time consuming and definitely requires your attention.

But…, I think that, like any other skill, there comes a satisfaction just from being able to eventually conquer it. 😁

Stay tuned, gents…

Thanks for reading! 😎💈

Chapter 1 - “Call me Ismael. Some years ago…🧐

Nah, I promise this diary won’t be as long as “Moby Dick!” (Someday I’ll get to the end and figure out what happened to that “white whale!” 🤓).

It started when I posted a thread on here titled “Why a STRAIGHT razor?,” a thread borne out of genuine curiosity. 🤔

Lo and behold, I’ve been AMAZED at the response, most, if not all of it positive, with no one taking umbrage that I would even dare ask the question.

After reading the responses, and doing the in-depth research (thanks, YouTube!), I decided to take the “plunge” myself, to see what the fuss was all about, especially after I spotted a shavette for only $5 at a local beauty store.

I know what you’re thinking - a shavette is no where near an actual SR, much less one for five bucks.

Hey, Rome wasn’t built in a day, and I’m pretty sure Lance Armstong started out on a TRICYCLE, so cut me some slack, ok? 😒

Anyway, I waited a few days ‘til I had some decent beard growth before I “broke my “SR” cherry.” I made sure to have all my auxiliary tools at hand - for my preshave, the ultra cooling Proraso; for the soap, the equally chilling “Margaritas in the Arctic” by Stirling; for the toner, another shot of “ice” from Stirling’s “Lemon Chill,” and, to finish it off, the wonderfully bracing “Glacial Citron” aftershave splash, also by Stirling. Now, to begin…

Surprisingly, it wasn’t that bad. I wasn’t shooting for “BBS” my first time out, but rather, not to butcher my face! 😱

I proceeded slowly, using short strokes, making sure the blade was as flush against the face as possible. The one thing that helped me was the AURAL experience of it. Once I heard that harsh sound of stubble being scrapped off my face, I knew I was on the right track. 🙂

I had initially only planned to shave just one jowl, but since I escaped any “damage,” I decided to do the other. Afterwards, I decided not to push my luck and finished off with my DE razor, which after using a SR felt surprisingly EASY! 😳

The one thing I noticed is that my arm kept getting in my line of sight the way a DE never has. Definitely something to work on.

That’s it for this first try. I almost escaped without a single “weeper,” except for one… ironically caused by my DE razor! 🙄

So, this is just “chapter one” for me. I’m eager to continue and improve my obviously lackluster skills. SR shaving, like many a skill, is not one that can be mastered in a day. I can see why it fell out of fashion in our hyperactive modern society. It’s certainly time consuming and definitely requires your attention.

But…, I think that, like any other skill, there comes a satisfaction just from being able to eventually conquer it. 😁

Stay tuned, gents…

Thanks for reading! 😎💈
Congratulations for taking the plunge. You’re definitely on the right track. Having said that I can share with you in no uncertain terms that when you move up to a real straight blade you’ll notice a completely different feeling against your face. A straight razor is much more forgiving than a shavette. IMHO the only similarity is the way you hold them. Just enjoy the ride you’ve decided to undertake.

Sounds like a good start to me! I still always have my DE ready to take over with if something isnt going well with my straight razor shave. Luckily the amount of times I need the DE takover has steadily gone down unless using an experimental edge.

You are right about the full attention needed aspect, if you lapse there will be immediate harsh feedback! One interesting benefit of SR shaving for me was how much better I got at DE shaving however haha

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@RicoSuave thank you for starting this post of your adventure into the gentlemanly art of straight razor shaving. I know that I will enjoy following this story.

I consider a shavette a straight razor, just not a traditional straight razor. Shaving with a shavette is similar to shaving with a traditional straight razor but different. You will learn this later. You should be in no rush to change.

One important piece of advice that I will give you now is to try and SR shave daily. There is good reason for this. More regular SR shaving helps you develop your technique through fewer shaves. Your memory has less time to forget what you (even subconsciously) learnt from your previous SR shave. Trust me, I found the same when I was learning.

Bravo ! Great first steps and a grand opening. Wait till you take that SR shave. For me atleast an SR has a different feel than the DE or AC blade shavette shaves. Maybe it's just me.

This rabbit hole is going to be the last one you'll ever go down and keep going on....:)

Congratulations for taking the plunge. You’re definitely on the right track. Having said that I can share with you in no uncertain terms that when you move up to a real straight blade you’ll notice a completely different feeling against your face. A straight razor is much more forgiving than a shavette. IMHO the only similarity is the way you hold them. Just enjoy the ride you’ve decided to undertake.
I intuitively sensed a similarity in my experience between the ubiquitous cheap plastic cartridge razor and the traditional stout DE razor.

There’s definitely a learning curve when first using a DE in that you’re used to applying a lot more PRESSURE with a cartridge razor than with a well made DE.

With a good DE, you merely have to GUIDE it around your face. The pressure is provided by the weight of the DE, assuming it’s a well built one.

I assume the same is true for my cheap shavette vs. an actual well built SR.

I could sense myself having to apply the pressure to my face in order for the stubble to catch on the shavette’s razor. I assume that, like my example about using DEs, with a good SR, I would just GUIDE it around my face, and let the weight of the steel apply the pressure.

Does that sound about right, gents? 🤔

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A shavette is normally a lot lighter than a DE razor or SR. If that is the case, you may have to apply a little pressure in the direction of travel but not pressure against the skin. Just aim to have so little pressure against the skin so that you just remove the lather. Don't worry about your whiskers, they will be cut as you remove the lather.

This pressure and angle thing will soon come to you and it will then be rather automatic.

I have only used a Feather AC, and a traditional straight, and with both you should use less pressure than with a cart. It’s about hair reduction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it seems liike ive heard somewhere that shavettes are very unforgiving and that a decent straight razor is much more forgiving and easier on the face. i could be wrong though

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
it seems liike ive heard somewhere that shavettes are very unforgiving and that a decent straight razor is much more forgiving and easier on the face. i could be wrong though
Yes, quite a few traditional SR shavers have said that. A shavette, however, can be the best to introduce a n00bie to SR shaving if they don't; have access to a traditional SR that is shave-ready, have the budget to buy a traditional SR, or want to get involved with maintaining an edge.

I would never recommend a shavette to someone contemplating a straight razor. Other than looking similar it is a different animal. There is too much mystery surrounding a SR. Shaving with a SR is very simple, quite intuitive in fact. Not much different than moving from carts to a DE or SE.

I would never recommend a shavette to someone contemplating a straight razor. Other than looking similar it is a different animal. There is too much mystery surrounding a SR. Shaving with a SR is very simple, quite intuitive in fact. Not much different than moving from carts to a DE or SE.

I hear what you are saying but if the shavette acts as a gateway to a real straight what's the harm :). I started with a Feather AC, ordered a real straight about two weeks later and was shaving with the real straight 18 days after using the Feather AC for the first time.

I hear what you are saying but if the shavette acts as a gateway to a real straight what's the harm :). I started with a Feather AC, ordered a real straight about two weeks later and was shaving with the real straight 18 days after using the Feather AC for the first time.
I understand what you mean. The few guys I know who tried the shavette first ended up looking like they went through a windshield and were completely turned off the idea of a SR. Had they tried a SR first I dont think they would have had the same experience. I started on a shavette for the same reason you cite and then I went to a SR. I was surprised how much easier it was, so much more forgiving. And I often wondered why I wasted my time and money (and effort) on a shavette. Everyone has a different experience. It's one of those YMMV things.

I understand what you mean. The few guys I know who tried the shavette first ended up looking like they went through a windshield and were completely turned off the idea of a SR. Had they tried a SR first I dont think they would have had the same experience. I started on a shavette for the same reason you cite and then I went to a SR. I was surprised how much easier it was, so much more forgiving. And I often wondered why I wasted my time and money (and effort) on a shavette. Everyone has a different experience. It's one of those YMMV things.

I started with the Feather AC because I thought I would be overwhelmed by honing and stropping when in fact the honing and stropping add to the overall experience for me.

Respectfully, I beg to differ, in regards to your alleging that moving to a SR is akin to “moving from a DE or SE.”

I’m willing to bet most EXPERIENCED SR shavers on here would beg to differ with you, as well.

The “learning curve” is that much more pronounced, and the room for error, that much narrower, when you’re first learning to use a straight razor. 🤔

Congratulations on starting your journey. I started with a half blade shavette and made a mess of my face on the first shave. There was no blood on the second shave, but I decided it wasn't for me. I put the shavette down, and lost it over the years.

Now I shave daily with a straight. Mostly full hollow, or typical Japanese western grind (usually not as hollow as a full hollow, I'm sure others will elaborate). If you are getting results with the shavette, and managing to keep the blood on the inside of your face, keep at it. You might want to try a "real" straight later, or you might be happy with the shavette. Either way, good luck.

Top Bottom