What's new

Descent To Madness

September 12th, year of Shaving 2018

Huzzah! My goodies arrived! Along with a Merkur 34C came Proraso shaving cream (3 packs! Now I can shave my dog as well!), Proraso brush, razor sampler pack (100 of them! C'mere, dog!) and Animation Superwings 2 in 1 Transformable Airplane Toy which... Has nothing to do with shaving but proves that 4 year olds know how to use "buy now" button on an ebay page, dammit. Note to myself: log out of ebay.

So I set up the mood, lit some candles, put some Barry White on, a tie and a good shirt, you know, the usual shaving routine.

"I'm going to my mom's", said The Wife. OK, so I might have overdone it a bit.

I lathered up a nice creamy batch, which suprised me because I haven't done this since I was seventeen. I always used Gillette Canned Booger Gel. The brush felt good, especially because I shave both face and head (but leave the goatee. Evil mastermind look and all that.). I loaded a Dorco Something in the Merkur because there's ten different kinds of razor blades in that pack ad I have to start with one of them. Taking a deep breath I shoved the chromed thing into my face and...

Hm. Not *quite* what I expected. Took some experimenting to get the angle right. For close to twenty years I shaved in the same way: Gillette Fusion for face, Soluna DE for head. Have you ever tried a Soluna? Old school 60's communist made-in-Czechoslovakia DE razor? To say that thing has a bite would be an understatement. That thing is a psychotic cutthroat mugger in a dark alley after midnight. One shave and it looks like you lost a fight to a weasel no matter what you load it with. Once you start shaving you better have a blood pack and a tetanus shot handy. It wants your blood and it wants a lot of it.

But I digress. Merkur suprised me. On one hand, it was like an angels kiss on my baby-butt-sensitive face. I've never experienced a shave that comfortable before. On the other hand it must have taken me near to thirty minutes to shave both face and head because I had to learn a whole new grip and angle for it. I can feel my scalp slightly burning from the effort but it was almost worth it. I say almost because I can't get that 100% baby butt smoothness no matter how many passes I make with the razor turned upside down. What am I doing wrong? Will experiment on weekend.

Keep experimenting and you’ll get the angle. There is a wiki around here somewhere on shave angle. That and light pressure. Welcome to the journals!

October 11th, where is all this blood coming from?

After a month of twice-a-week practice I've come to the point where I concluded two things:

1) Head-shaving lather needs more water than face shaving lather

2) Gillette razors have been put in my blade sample pack with the explicit intention of slitting my throat. I see that now. I have scars to prove it. You may take my skin, Gillette Perma-Sharp Super blade, but you will never take my freedom.

Also, I've developed a borderline erotic satisfaction with the shaving brush. I spend way too much time applying shaving cream. Ther brush relaxes me. I think my wife might be suspecting something.

Could she be plotting with Gillette against me?

Could the Proraso shaving cream be causing delusions and paranoia?

Will investigate further.

Top Bottom