What's new

December 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

27Dec23--lovely shave this a.m. with ZM The Rambler...very nice combination of scents in this soap and Sego base provides a top notch creamy/cushion/protective shave.
I really wish ZM made an alcoholic version splash, but it's a top notch splash as far as ingredients are concerned.
A fresh Dorco ST300 paired with the H plate in the Yates provided a two pass, just shy BBS.

With that said, I am out gents.
I'm going to be signing up for 2024 GRUYRE, and with a couple of gift cards I had not used yet, figured better to pull the trigger now than next year. Next year is gonna be enough of a challenge as it is!
Good day all!

1703685556807.png

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Still in. No way to fail now boys, we're unsinkable!

Razor - Vector SS SB
Blade - Feather Pro. (10)
Pre-Shave - Hot water wash
Soap - A&E Kaizen
Brush - Bru Brushart, 26mm G5C
Post-shave - Warm water rinse, cold water rinse
Aftershave - A&E Kaizen

XTG/ATG

Feeling Smoove.

1000003335.jpg

I've been incredibly busy. I work in ecommerce and my company makes giftable products, so this time of year is always slammed. However, I survived - even thrived - and now I'm taking some time off, which is really nice.

Of course, the time off isn't pure relaxation. We're lucky to have some family nearby, so we've been entertaining:
  • Christmas Eve: My mother came over to have dinner with my wife and me. My son joined us a bit later, and we all opened one present each, because my mother has difficulty waiting until Christmas. If she can see the present, she wants to rip it open!
  • Christmas Day: I made the traditional coffee cake. My son sweetly got up to help me with it, volunteering to do so and actually being awake at 7am without prodding from me. I think he senses that he'll someday - though not soon - take over this "man of the house" duty. Then it was on to our ridiculous 5' stockings, full of candy, magazines, little presents and other fun things. Finally, we opened our presents, with SWMBO "elfing". After a respite, SWMBO made Christmas dinner, which was shared among our family (including my mother), my son's girlfriend and his girlfriend's mother - the father is a nurse and was working. All of that went very well.
  • Boxing Day: My cousin, his wife, their two pre-teens and his mother - my mother's sister, so my aunt - drove the 1.5 hours to my house for an afternoon of food, drinks and games. I lost terribly at dominos, and that's always the way, so another tradition upheld.
I hope that the three-day period was as enjoyable and restorative for all of you as it has been for me. :)

And so, it's on to business...

By the way - I am out as of now. I joined a waiting list and also transferred the funds for a new razor. With consent from the LOTH I might add, so no harm done :thumbup:

I guess we are ready for 2024!!

I wish everybody a Happy Christmas 🎄 and excellent shaves and health in 2024!

Happy holiday’s all, I regret to inform the Dec. Grume team that I have missed the mark. An exceptionally generous soap offer on the Contributor BST did me in. GD Chamomile and Lemon and Ethos Succes were the bait, and $8 shipping was the fee…. Darn it (smacks knee loudly… looks at knee and says OUCH). Next years Grume is going to be long, but I will be strong! :_)

I appreciate being allowed to participate and the camaraderie of the group. Happy 2023 and best wishes for 2024!

27Dec23--lovely shave this a.m. with ZM The Rambler...very nice combination of scents in this soap and Sego base provides a top notch creamy/cushion/protective shave.
I really wish ZM made an alcoholic version splash, but it's a top notch splash as far as ingredients are concerned.
A fresh Dorco ST300 paired with the H plate in the Yates provided a two pass, just shy BBS.

With that said, I am out gents.
I'm going to be signing up for 2024 GRUYRE, and with a couple of gift cards I had not used yet, figured better to pull the trigger now than next year. Next year is gonna be enough of a challenge as it is!
Good day all!

View attachment 1770536

Two of the three are actually out, but the third has a reprieve. See below.

That said, for the benefit of the first two, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - SOTMC
2) Guido75 - SOTMC - out (12/: Mamba list)
3) @mcee_sharp
4) @Doti B
5a) @midwestshaver71 - NOT out (GRUYERE Rule*)
5b) @Bsamps
6) @Chef455 - GRUYERE
7) @La Malice - SOTMC, Decemboar, GRUYERE
8a) @Beto Salatini
8b) @Calyshaver
9) @LJBraaten - GRUYERE
10) Tulsa1977 - out (12/: BST Soaps)
11) @JKaboom
12) @Multum in parvo
13) JAHE - out (12/7: 2 Horses)
14) awk_m4 - out (12/12: AL13M)
15) @iver
16) @Snowman94
17) @Aubrey87
18) @Jayson74
19) @ChriWilson
20) @Pyrate
21) Markdad2 - out (12/4: PIF)
22) @tjsgarden - Decemboar
23) @Submariner
24) Balin - out (12/13: Old GSBs )
25) @den fly - SOTMC
26) @hopper_64
27) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
28) @BobbyB
29) @Roedeer - 365er
30) @Jack Goossen

* December 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/december-2023-gentlemanly-restraint-until-month-end-grume.646697/post-12501459

The "December Restock Exception for GRUYERE" rule:
  • A restock period of the final week of December(12/25 - 12/31) is available for people who are:
    1. A current participant in December GRUME; and
    2. Not in the current year's Restraint; and
    3. A new participant in next year's Restraint
...or...
  • For members who are continuing their Restraint participation, rolling from one year to the next year while participating in January GRUME, the Restraint restocking period of the first two weeks of January (1/1 - 1/14) supersedes the January GRUME so that participants are not stuck in a Catch-22 situation

Day 27, in

Razor: Henson AL13+
Blade: RK Shaving Stainless, 2nd use
Brush: Simpsons Commodore X1 Best
Soap: Captains Sandalwood Cream
A/S: Speick

2nd time with the Henson. I must say that I really had my reservations about it. I was expecting not to like it but, it is just the opposite. I’m really enjoying it.

Make it a great day!

Still, gliding to the finish!
Since I broke out a new SE Gem blade I’m going to run through all my Vintage SE razors. Up today was my GEM 1912 series Travel Razor, affectionately known as the Gem Squathead. I had a little trouble with it, I think it was the lather (see below*). Almost as good a shave as yesterday, although it took more passes and although I got a small cut and weeper, but they were not bad. A 9.8.

*Lather. I have been shaving with Mike’s for a couple of years, but recently l bought some Haslingers, which has very similar ingredients. It took me a couple of shaves to get used to it. The key is that Haslingers needs much less water, and the initial brush load has more than enough lather for the entire shave, if you face lather like me. For the past two days I have returned to Mike’s, and I’m still not used to getting enough water in my brush to make adequate lather. I’m not complaining about Mike’s, just saying that Haslingers is definitely worth it. One complaint about the soap is that the pucks are small. But it appears to me that the efficiency of the lather will result in a slower depletion of the puck. Another possible issue is that it is not scented. But I didn’t even notice until I switched back to Mike’s Barbershop, then thought, “Oh yah, some soaps are scented! Anyway, I’m impressed!
(For those that might be tempted, remember: restock is just around the corner! No 🥓 intended!)

Last edited:
Day 27, 87.1% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat (Tallow)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 SB, Al Handle, Astra SP #5
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

I enhanced the lather with a couple of drops of glycerine. MWF doesn't really need it, but I liked the result. A good and comfortable near-BBS.

I couldn’t stand the current Blue Stratos but Nautica Blue Sails is a nice cheapy summer scent. Was the Nautica modeled after the original Blue Stratos?

I might try that, thanks The original was worth imitating. The current one was a waste of money.

Top Bottom