What's new

December 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

The January thread is up.
Welcome to the new year, lads!

December 21st - Still out

R41 with RR Super Knurl Handle
Gillette 7 O'Clock SS (7)
Omega EVO 2.0
LEA Shave Stick
Epsilon Blue

View attachment 1575493

Lost my grip on the brush when I shook it dry after the shave.
Lost a few small pieces from the handle.
I'll try to repair it when I get back home.

View attachment 1575495
Happens even to the best of us. I am a very vigorous shaker myslef. Both with brushes and razors. Last year I hit my bathroom sink sooo hard with a 3 piece Weishi. The chrome plating didn't budge. Not the slightest trace on it. When I told Hannes about the incident, he suggested I should check the sink. :lol:

Still out! I finished up my 365 blades today! Only 1515 blades to go!

IMG_20221223_171612.jpg

SOTD

Soap - Homemade
Brush - Homemade Boar Knot
Razor - Gillette Blue
Blade - Shark Super Stainless

The shave was okay, at least there was no blood and a lot of the hair got removed. This blade was a little dull and tugged some. The brush is not broken in yet. It is very scratchy and does not lather well. It will get there. A day or two on this blade and I will scrap it.

IMG_20221223_132918170_BURST000_COVER~2.jpg

Still in 🙏🏽

Fourth shave with the lovable PAA Prismatic. Mind you: I rarely shave with the same razor twice in a row, so this should tell something about how much I enjoy this darkest of dark horses in our community.

Last shave I was impressed with the loaded German Wilkinson, giving me a second full beard and head shave. Most blades only last one shave for me. The blade became blunt fast during this shave. So I changed it for a Gillette 365. This blade may fade fast, but it is excellent fresh and ready right out of the wrapper. And again, it took my by surprise. This blade seems to be overlooked, but it is superb. With the Prismatic: a match made in heaven. I could have stopped after one pass plus touch ups, and be more than presentable. It outperformed both the Wikinson and the King C Gillette. Brilliant.

Now.... this soap...
What can I say. This is the fourth Areffa Soap I have used. And again it's a winner. Bear (!) tallowed, it has everything I like in a soap. Glide, lathering, scent and above all: post shave skin care are truly top notch. This Ukrainian artisan knows her craft. Again: I strongly recommand buying her soap. The Areffa "lotions" are very good too: my wife loves them.
By the way: when you open the can, you'll find a nice twist added. I will not say what: that would only spoil the surrise.....

EF647BA0-2E5D-4663-88FC-9281B4FCB9E2.jpeg

Date
365 days of shaving361/357
(100%)
GRUME December23/30 (97%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 2/3
Eddison 2/3

Passes3
WXTG
first pass cheeks: CB Curve (NW-SE curving midway to NE-SW)
second pass cheeks: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)

first pass neck: Gillette Slant (NE-SW)
second pass neck: Gillette Slant (S-N)
ATG
Straight & Slanted
(SW-NE | cheeks)
(SW-NE | neck)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Gillette NEW Flat BottomGillette Platinum (5)
Kox Blue Synthetic
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green pre-shave
Haslinger Sandelholz
Face and bowl lathered
Cold splash
Floyd the Genuine (AS)
Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
9/10 (~20 minutes)7/10 (multiple weepers on the neck)
EffectivenessComfort
8/10 (DFS)
7.5/10 (Smooth bordering to harsh)

Notes to today’s shave:

Fine shave using a razor that occupies the back bench somewhat. I am joining January Shave Yahtzee to use razors and blades I haven’t used that frequently.

The Gillette Platinum is obviously a great blade, but it works less for me. 4-5 shaves is about what I can get out of them and none of them are buttery smooth shaving. Following the mishaps on my neck as a result of the blade, I retired this one.

The end result was a good start of the weekend. Tonight is Christmas Eve and spend with those I would give my life for. I definitely need to spend more time with them.

Enjoy your shave and your Christmas weekend!

GRUME 💪 (I think I am going to be successful this month!)
DecemBOAR the 24th

Rockwell 6S, R#3 with Jagger handle
Nacet (13)
Proraso Azur Lime
Semogue 830

Christmas Eve Day

IMHO, Christmas not only celebrates the story of Jesus, his life and message of hope, but also our story and struggle to find hope and meaning.

PXL_20221224_030211474.jpg

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Top Bottom