What's new

DE Shaving - It's Fun

I'd like to share my personal experience with my recent reintroduction to DE shaving. Obviously, this post reflects merely my own experience and opinion.

First, some background. I began shaving in 1959 with a shaving brush (Kent) and a DE razor. Remember that there were no cartridge razors back then. I grew a beard for a number of years and when I resumed shaving in about 1990, I began to use a cartridge razors. I have owned and used several, including a Mach3 and a Fusion. I joined B&B in June 2007 and read a lot about DE shaving. In July, I bought a Merkur 38c and I've been shaving with it, at least at home, ever since. I shave with a Fusion or Mach3 when traveling, because DE blades are not allowed to be included as part of carry-on luggage.

B&B people give several reasons for preferring DE to cartridge razors including less irritation, especially on the neck area; a closer and more comfortable shave; concern for the environment by not using plastic as is used in cartridges; and saving money.

After having used my 38c for four months, I feel that my shaves are no closer with the 38c than with my Fusion; in fact, they may be a tad less close from time to time, even with a three-pass shave. They are also no more comfortable. Personally, the most valuable lesson I've learned on B&B is to do a three-pass shave with virtually no pressure, whether I use a cartridge razor or a DE. I think that learning this lesson has ensured a BBS and irritation-free shave regardless of what kind of razor I use.

As to the environment, many people use used plastic bottles as disposal containers for their used blades and glue them shut when they are full so that people will not be injured by them. The only reason in favor of DE shaving given by others that I agree with is saving money.

So, why do I continue to use my 38c? Because it's FUN!! It's fun to experiment with different blades to try to find the best one for my face. With so many blades out there, I may never find the "best" one, but I don't care. It's the process of searching and experimenting that makes it fun for me. Besides, for me, it's fun to shave with something as retro as a DE razor. This fun is missing with cartridge shaving. In addition, cartridge razor heads swivel, thus eliminating the fun associated with learning proper blade angle technique that one gets with a DE. When Merkur comes out with the "38c" version of the Slant, in spring 2008, I'll buy one and the fun of experimenting will double.

For those folks who feel that DE shaving gives closer, more comfortable, less irritating shaves than cartridge razors, more power to you; but let's not forget the fun factor. For me, fun is reason enough to DE shave.

Top Bottom