What's new

DE newbie with a muhler r41

CA1FAC7E-D8A1-44C3-A42F-D5CC25D12FD7.jpeg
I was looking for a slicker cream so bought some TOBS Eton College after trying a sample. It’s got a great scent and lathers brilliantly, very cushioning and slick. I’d used the great smelling Sandalwood and found it quite dry under the blade but this was much smoother, my favourite cream already.
Just started face lathering so was looking for a slightly stiffer brush. I found an Edwin jagger best badger on offer for £18 which felt good and stiff when I tried it in the shop.
Tried it this morning, It was surprisingly soft and it swallowed the lather so I made more. Hard to assess it really after one shave but it seems fine just maybe not as stiff as I hoped I’ll keep using it and see.
I’d used a GSB for the last few days but couldn’t get a great shave with it, not particularly close or smooth and always a few red areas.
I was glad to see the back of it and replaced it with an Astra SP today.
What a difference, completely close and smooth it’s such a great blade for me. Whenever I’ve had a few rough shaves I keep coming back to it as I know it’ll look after me. Got a bbs even on my top lip which I’ve never had before.
Great cold splash and a bit of the old Proraso Green, nice start to my Sunday.

Just bought this after shave the last week.

The sticker is a little to the right on the bottle! But this doesnt affect the quality of this lotion!:em2300:

Just bought this after shave the last week.

The sticker is a little to the right on the bottle! But this doesnt affect the quality of this lotion!:em2300:
It’s brilliant stuff isn’t it? Great smell, soothing, cooling I use it almost every day.

I was trying to make a box to carry my R41 when I go abroad with work but hadn’t really hit on a good solution when I saw this on EBay. From what I can gather it’s a Gillette New 1930’s does that sound about right?
It arrived in the post today, it’s an open comb which I like as I like an aggressive razor and hope this will be ok for my trips.
I’m looking forward to trying it out in the morning.
I cleaned it thoroughly with a toothbrush and some antiseptic hand wash cream, is there anything else I need to do to it?
B5F29DE2-70A0-40DD-9F6F-50E5E45C454E.jpeg

I tried a 4 pass shave today to try to ease a problem with going against the sideways growth on my neck and jaw. I learn a lot about my face each day just by feeling the growth each night as it returns, which helps me plan what I’ll do the next day.
I did one down pass, two full side passes from ear to ear and back again then an up pass, plus my usual touch up pass so four and a half in total. It’s seems to have worked really well, my face feels really smooth and soft and I don’t seem to have missed anywhere.
I used a new Astra SP blade, some Menrock Sicilian Lime cream which is great stuff, slick, cushioning and great smelling.
Been breaking in my new brush which has been swallowing lather for three days but seems to have sorted itself out today and gave me the lather I needed for 5 passes, though it still stinks a bit. A cold rinse then a lovely cooling splash of Proraso Green, one of my best shaves I’d say.

4 passes is my passion too.

1. With the grain.
2. Across x2 from ear to ear
3. Against the grain.
4. Touch ups.

When doing step 4 I tend to over shave many areas for the absolute BBS and then I get razor burn that hurts..

I must stop it. Stupid move. But I love BBS.

Did another 4 passes and a touch up today, but it’s not as close as I like, I somehow missed several bits and it’s rashed up my face a bit too. After my Proraso splash my face still felt stingy so 20 mins later I put on some TOBS sandalwood aftershave gel which is supposed to moisturize but left my face still stingy but now sticky too. I Washed the lot off at lunchtime, what a stinker of a shave.
Wondering if 4-5 passes is a bit much for my face. Perhaps I’m better with a careful 3 pass. I think I’ll have a rest day tomorrow (Friday) and save my self for my Saturday shave.
It’s frustrating as just as I seem to have my technique dialled in for a consistent BBS I end up 3 steps backward.

Sorry to say that but TOBS gel isnt good stuff. Sticky and don't calm the skin well.

I would suggest to try some of the Proraso Balm or you can go just with the King: Speick Sensitiv Balsam.

Save your soul and you and your skin can thank me later, just right after use.
I didn't like the scent but the post shave effect,three words, "Oh Good Lord".

Did another 4 passes and a touch up today, but it’s not as close as I like, I somehow missed several bits and it’s rashed up my face a bit too. After my Proraso splash my face still felt stingy so 20 mins later I put on some TOBS sandalwood aftershave gel which is supposed to moisturize but left my face still stingy but now sticky too. I Washed the lot off at lunchtime, what a stinker of a shave.
Wondering if 4-5 passes is a bit much for my face. Perhaps I’m better with a careful 3 pass. I think I’ll have a rest day tomorrow (Friday) and save my self for my Saturday shave.
It’s frustrating as just as I seem to have my technique dialled in for a consistent BBS I end up 3 steps backward.

Sorry to say that but TOBS gel isnt good stuff. Sticky and don't calm the skin well.

I would suggest to try some of the Proraso Balm or you can go just with the King: Speick Sensitiv Balsam.

Yes probably too many passes and a little too much pressure is what has your skin up in arms.

And @RandySp is right, the TOBS AS gel is a weird beast. I bought it once, smelled fine and worked OK, but it was quite gummy as you mention. It was just an odd application.

You can always try an Aloe Vera gel that is a little bit sticky too, but had a lot of ingredients like hyaluronic acid that helps a lot.

I was trying to make a box to carry my R41 when I go abroad with work but hadn’t really hit on a good solution when I saw this on EBay. From what I can gather it’s a Gillette New 1930’s does that sound about right?
It arrived in the post today, it’s an open comb which I like as I like an aggressive razor and hope this will be ok for my trips.
I’m looking forward to trying it out in the morning.
I cleaned it thoroughly with a toothbrush and some antiseptic hand wash cream, is there anything else I need to do to it?
View attachment 880108
That would be a Gillette Old Type. Probably from the 1920’s. Looks great!

That would be a Gillette Old Type. Probably from the 1920’s. Looks great!
Thanks a lot for that I wasn’t sure of the model.
I haven’t tried it yet but as soon as my face heals I’ll lather up, put on some 1920s music and give it a go:)

Thanks a lot

Thanks for the help and suggestions, it’s s shame about the tobs as I love the smell but can’t use the plasticy gunk on my face. I’ve read a lot of good reports on the Speick range looking forward to giving it a try:)

Yes probably too many passes and a little too much pressure is what has your skin up in arms.

And @RandySp is right, the TOBS AS gel is a weird beast. I bought it once, smelled fine and worked OK, but it was quite gummy as you mention. It was just an odd application.

Thanks I think I’ll go back down to 3 passes for my next shave as I ruined my face today. The tobs leaves a lovely smelling, nasty, plastic, face irritating sheen which I need to wash off with water even hours later. I’ve always had my best results with a simple alcohol splash so think I’ll stick to those.

Top Bottom