What's new

DE newbie with a muhler r41

I took a break from my straight razor today and had a shave with the R41.
Lathered with Proraso Green and used a fresh Astra SP.
Well what an amazing thing the R41 is.
It seriously obliterated almost everything on my first pass, though I did my usual 3 plus a touch up.
Part of learning the straight is having a next level map of the beard in your head and leaning the importance of stretching.
Stretching really isn’t so important with the r41 as it’s so ruthless but with the straight it’s the only way to get a bbs. Well when I applied my mapping and stretching to my R41 this morning I got probably the closest shave I’ve ever had with anything. I have bbs almost daily but this was different. I could just tell by the feel that it was special. Just as close as I believe it’s possible for me to get whilst still having skin on my bones. It stayed bbs all day and night and even the next morning I could very justifiably not have shaved at all, my face was still very smooth.
Was it the perfect shave? In terms of closeness yes but the straight just seems to leave my face softer for some reason. Hard to explain, i know it’s made of steel but it somehow feels soft like a feather even whilst removing hair atg. Still it was nice to use the R41 again, I’ve had 2-3 shaves with it in the last month and I really love it.

Going to shave with it in a day or two so I have some hairs to cut. Being a newbie with it I don't want any cuts hopefully. I feel I won't try so hard to get close, with some hair there.
Best thing I did when learning it was to not allow myself a touch up with the DE. Whatever state my beard was in after using the straight was what I would leave the house with. Not having this crutch forced me to rapidly improve my technique with both hands.

Best thing I did when learning it was to not allow myself a touch up with the DE. Whatever state my beard was in after using the straight was what I would leave the house with. Not having this crutch forced me to rapidly improve my technique with both hands.
I used the straight today wow amazing shave. Did not touch up with de razor. Still liked the results. Went wtg, xtg, seemed to work well. No nicks, cuts of any sort. Just found not as close of a shave as my de collection. I think the straight razors are A1 in my books. Great experience. Will continue to use. Fun that's what it's all about. It is not a chore anymore. Regards Steve

I used the straight today wow amazing shave. Did not touch up with de razor. Still liked the results. Went wtg, xtg, seemed to work well. No nicks, cuts of any sort. Just found not as close of a shave as my de collection. I think the straight razors are A1 in my books. Great experience. Will continue to use. Fun that's what it's all about. It is not a chore anymore. Regards Steve
Yeah it takes a few weeks of shaving before you’ll get it close to DE standards. DE’s are brilliant and easier to use but the straight gives a nicer shave for me once you get good at using it and begin to unlock its potential.

I’ve used my R41 occasionally lately when I’ve been in a hurry but mostly been using a straight razor this year. But I’m finding that I’m giving myself good but sometimes a little harsh shaves with the R41 as I’m rushing it, not taking my time and enjoying using the beast like I should. I need to set some time aside for it and not just use it when pressed for time.
Today I was all set for a straight shave, prepped and stropped when I heard my little girl who’s off sick from school calling for her daddy so I grabbed a packet of 7 o’clock yellows and loaded the R41.
I thought I’d just do one Wtg pass but take care and get it as close as I can.
I always need 3.5-4 passes with the R41 and/or my straight to get a bbs shave but I thought I’d concentrate and see how well I could do.
I face lathered some Proraso Red Soap with a boar and got going.
I used nice short strokes really focussing on keeping an even pressure with the blade on my face but a the same time being careful not to sink the thing into my face. The R41 is so efficient, I could hear the familiar whispering metallic rasping sound as it sang through the stubble. It easily took the contours of my face in its stride levelling everything. The whole shave only took 5 minutes. I had a long cold rinse and felt my face. As one pass shaves go this was surprisingly smooth. Not bbs but a good shave nonetheless. I had a nice splash of Proraso Green which gave zero burn and away I went.
I don’t think I could’ve gotten this close with one pass from a straight razor although the straight does have its own advantages.

I didn’t have much time today, I could’ve done a quick straight razor shave but I thought I’d try a one pass wtg shave with my R41 and a Feather blade to see how close one pass could be for me.
I lathered with Speick shave stick and a Yaqi Silvertip.
87A41826-A0C9-48C5-BB3C-634735720F26.jpeg

I never used Feathers much, the first time I used one I cut my face up, the second time was much better but I got the feel they were too sharp for my face but today for a one pass shave I thought they’d be perfect.
I took my time and made sure to target my whole face, every area.
It probably took about 5-6 mins then I had a nice cold rinse and felt to see how it had gone. Well it was surprisingly close and smooth. A couple of areas on my cheeks were even bbs. I could feel stubble of course here and there but couldn’t see any in the mirror and what’s more the shave hadn’t been at all harsh. Although my beard was back a few hours later I could definitely shave like that and be smart and presentable.
For a one pass shave it was pretty mind blowing.
It was nice to use my old friend again today.

Top Bottom