What's new

DE newbie with a muhler r41

hi, I’m brand new to DE razor shaving, and would like to share my experience of using the Muhler r41 from an absolute beginners perspective.
I’ve used Gillette Mach 3 or similar cartridge blades for most of my shaving life (about 30 years) but became disillusioned with them as they keep flying up in price and they don’t give me the greatest shave as my whiskers are quite coarse. I never suffer with razor burn or irritation.
I started looking at alternatives and was drawn to trying a DE razor as my dad used to use one when I was a kid growing up in the 70’s and I liked the thought of discovering the manly art of shaving and making some time each day where I could enjoy a shave and a little ‘me’ time, but most importantly I just wanted a better shave.
I bought a muhler R41 as I read that it was a no nonsense type razor which would make short work of my harsh stubble.
I knew I’d need a quite aggressive razor eventually so my thinking was that it would be better to learn good technique on the thing I would use, rather than on a more forgiving razor which I would quickly outgrow then have to learn again when upgrading.
And if, as some posters had said that ‘it would be a cruel teacher’ then that should motivate me to learn all the quicker.
The R41 arrived in the post but I’d since read many internet posts with people saying that it was quite dangerous to use such an unforgiving razor as your first DE and most people wouldn’t recommend that in a million years.
I was therefore now a bit scared of it and expecting a bloodbath and a possible visit to the hospital on my first try, but I’d bought it now so I wasn’t going to back out.
I grew a stubble for a couple of days to give it something to bite, then showered and softened the growth.
I’d got some maca root cream from the body shop and a cheap brush from the same.
I took a finger tip ful and lathered it up in my new bowl.
I was pasting the thing on my face feeling all relaxed and happy when I looked down and saw the glinting muhler waiting for me and my heart skipped a beat. Why hadn’t I been more careful? Why did I have to be so hung ho? Was this going to be as dangerous as they said?
I carefully loaded it with a 7 o’clock yellow blade and with my heart beating a little was ready to go.
My fear was that I wouldn’t feel the blade as it peeled my skin off my face and so I was pleasantly surprised as I felt the blade slice through the soap and catch the hair straight away in a new, yet familiar feeling.
My mind was completely focussed! No pressure, pay attention to the angles, short strokes, take all the time in the world. It was intense but before I knew it I had completed my first wtg downward pass and hadn’t spilled a drop of blood. But I knew I couldn’t get cocky.
A lovely refreshing re lathering and now a sideways pass.
It took a ton of concentration not to skip all over my face like I could with a cartridge but it was quite meditative and before I knew it pass 2 was complete, again, with no razor burn and not a scratch.
Now time for the xtg pass 3.
Again, absolute concentration as i adjusted the angle and cut upwards into the last bits of remaining stubble. Cheeks, top lip all done nicely though I didn’t finish the 3rd pass on my neck as I found it really hard to maintain the angle and see the mirror at the same time.
I washed up and looked at my face.
It wasn’t perfect but I could tell immediately it was by far the closest shave I’d ever had and no facial damage.
I used some TOOBS Sandalwood after shave gel and I was all pleased with myself as I’d expected a blood letting to be honest. But a little later that day a patch on my right and a patch on my left cheek started to show signs of razor burn that got quite warm as the day went on but wasn’t terrible.
Maybe I should’ve called it a day after 2 passes but I wanted to try the thing out properly.
As It turned out I had to wait 2 days for the red patches to go then I tried it again this morning but I only did 2 passes as I felt this would be wiser as I improved my technique. Not as close without an atg pass but still smooth and no irritation this time.
I think I’ll be good to do the same tomorrow.
I’m really loving using this razor and the whole process of DE shaving and I’m looking forward to developing my technique.
Anyway thanks for reading and for anyone who knows they need an aggressive razor but are afraid they lack experience, my advice for what it’s worth would be to get what you know you’ll use and just take great care and pay attention and learn from your mistakes.
Thanks for reading.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Way to bite the bullet, Jake! Congrats and enjoy your journey. I use the R41 daily, and rarely go beyond 2 passes.

Welcome and way to go starting with a Muhle R41. I was not that brave starting out but over time learned this tough grey whiskers need an aggressive razor.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Welcome to the forum!

New to DE's, an R41 and a Gillette Yellow.

riqyx.jpg

Atta boy! Go big or go home! LOL

Might I suggest a Fatip? :)

Nice post. I have yet to try a Muhle R41, but after reading your post, I'm thinking I'll have to try it out sooner rather than later.

Jumped right into it, didn't ya? Good for you. Take your time with the R41 and she won't bite you. As I've said in other posts, nothing gives me as close a shave as this razor.

Thanks for the kind replies and messages of encouragement everyone,
I’m going to risk 3 passes again tomrrow as I love how close it cuts and that’s the whole reason I’m here and I’m really enjoying the feel and precision which the DE blade gives

Nice.... I'd recommend getting an alum block & using that after you shave as well. Also incorporate witch hazel before your after shave/balm. Your skin will thank you.

Great story of the R41. I didn't like mine at first, but I've since switched to a heavier handle and added a blade shim and I'm getting much more comfortable shaves with it.

Nice.... I'd recommend getting an alum block & using that after you shave as well. Also incorporate witch hazel before your after shave/balm. Your skin will thank you.

Thanks I’ve just been thinking of an alum block as I don’t like how moisturisers feel on my face as I’ve just used regular aftershave all my life. Can you use the alum block in place of aftershave? I mean is it ok to shave, alum then go?

Thanks I’ve just been thinking of an alum block as I don’t like how moisturisers feel on my face as I’ve just used regular aftershave all my life. Can you use the alum block in place of aftershave? I mean is it ok to shave, alum then go?
Yes, alum can be used in place of an AS. Personally, I use it in conjunction with an AS. It helps with tightening up the skin and a little bit with burn/irritation. The one thing I’d say the alum only tactic is lacking is soothing/conditioning your skin.

My favorite razor and I also use one every day. It's nothing to be intimidated by. Few people realize this, but the RoseGold is known to give better shaves than the other variants..........

hi, I’m brand new to DE razor shaving, and would like to share my experience of using the Muhler r41 from an absolute beginners perspective.
I’ve used Gillette Mach 3 or similar cartridge blades for most of my shaving life (about 30 years) but became disillusioned with them as they keep flying up in price and they don’t give me the greatest shave as my whiskers are quite coarse. I never suffer with razor burn or irritation.
I started looking at alternatives and was drawn to trying a DE razor as my dad used to use one when I was a kid growing up in the 70’s and I liked the thought of discovering the manly art of shaving and making some time each day where I could enjoy a shave and a little ‘me’ time, but most importantly I just wanted a better shave.
I bought a muhler R41 as I read that it was a no nonsense type razor which would make short work of my harsh stubble.
I knew I’d need a quite aggressive razor eventually so my thinking was that it would be better to learn good technique on the thing I would use, rather than on a more forgiving razor which I would quickly outgrow then have to learn again when upgrading.
And if, as some posters had said that ‘it would be a cruel teacher’ then that should motivate me to learn all the quicker.
The R41 arrived in the post but I’d since read many internet posts with people saying that it was quite dangerous to use such an unforgiving razor as your first DE and most people wouldn’t recommend that in a million years.
I was therefore now a bit scared of it and expecting a bloodbath and a possible visit to the hospital on my first try, but I’d bought it now so I wasn’t going to back out.
I grew a stubble for a couple of days to give it something to bite, then showered and softened the growth.
I’d got some maca root cream from the body shop and a cheap brush from the same.
I took a finger tip ful and lathered it up in my new bowl.
I was pasting the thing on my face feeling all relaxed and happy when I looked down and saw the glinting muhler waiting for me and my heart skipped a beat. Why hadn’t I been more careful? Why did I have to be so hung ho? Was this going to be as dangerous as they said?
I carefully loaded it with a 7 o’clock yellow blade and with my heart beating a little was ready to go.
My fear was that I wouldn’t feel the blade as it peeled my skin off my face and so I was pleasantly surprised as I felt the blade slice through the soap and catch the hair straight away in a new, yet familiar feeling.
My mind was completely focussed! No pressure, pay attention to the angles, short strokes, take all the time in the world. It was intense but before I knew it I had completed my first wtg downward pass and hadn’t spilled a drop of blood. But I knew I couldn’t get cocky.
A lovely refreshing re lathering and now a sideways pass.
It took a ton of concentration not to skip all over my face like I could with a cartridge but it was quite meditative and before I knew it pass 2 was complete, again, with no razor burn and not a scratch.
Now time for the xtg pass 3.
Again, absolute concentration as i adjusted the angle and cut upwards into the last bits of remaining stubble. Cheeks, top lip all done nicely though I didn’t finish the 3rd pass on my neck as I found it really hard to maintain the angle and see the mirror at the same time.
I washed up and looked at my face.
It wasn’t perfect but I could tell immediately it was by far the closest shave I’d ever had and no facial damage.
I used some TOOBS Sandalwood after shave gel and I was all pleased with myself as I’d expected a blood letting to be honest. But a little later that day a patch on my right and a patch on my left cheek started to show signs of razor burn that got quite warm as the day went on but wasn’t terrible.
Maybe I should’ve called it a day after 2 passes but I wanted to try the thing out properly.
As It turned out I had to wait 2 days for the red patches to go then I tried it again this morning but I only did 2 passes as I felt this would be wiser as I improved my technique. Not as close without an atg pass but still smooth and no irritation this time.
I think I’ll be good to do the same tomorrow.
I’m really loving using this razor and the whole process of DE shaving and I’m looking forward to developing my technique.
Anyway thanks for reading and for anyone who knows they need an aggressive razor but are afraid they lack experience, my advice for what it’s worth would be to get what you know you’ll use and just take great care and pay attention and learn from your mistakes.
Thanks for reading.
And thank you for posting.

Top Bottom