What's new

Dating Gillette NEW, short comb and long comb

Do you guys like the bigger handles better because of the weight, or the shape/feel? My LC is en route, has the ball end handle, which I like on my Tech well enough, but that is mostly an aesthetic preference. I chose the Tech with the ball end handle because I thought it looked more classic than the fatter straight handles. i have no experience with any other handles.

Thanks for info. Since they are Brass razorheads, i guess they must be heavy. Do you know how much they weigh? I must say that your razors look pretty sexy Wiseguy. Do you use them often? I am also considering a Ufo handle. Sure it looks more classic with the old handle. But theses connoiseurs have expensive tastes :biggrin1:

Brass is pretty heavy, but the NEW heads are not all that heavy on their own. I just weighed a short-comb USA NEW at 32-g. By way of comparison, the thick slab of zamak from a 2013 Mühle R41tc is 29-g.

Achim has weights for various different models at http://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/The NEW.htm. Judging the ordinary NEW head at about 32-g, the original handles seem to weigh about the same again as the head. Then the Deluxe heads are heaver, and so are handles like the Big Fellow.

Do you guys like the bigger handles better because of the weight, or the shape/feel?

Both. I found the NEW LC to be slightly head-heavy with the original handle. I prefer a handle-heavy razor.

Thanks for info. Since they are Brass razorheads, i guess they must be heavy. Do you know how much they weigh? I must say that your razors look pretty sexy Wiseguy. Do you use them often? I am also considering a Ufo handle. Sure it looks more classic with the old handle. But theses connoiseurs have expensive tastes :biggrin1:

I've only had my LCs for a couple of weeks, but I've been using them a lot. They won't replace my beloved Fatips, but they make a nice addition to the den. The shaves from my LCs have been amazingly irritation-free.

Insightful there from mbaleke and Wiseguy. I have recently given away my R41 Muhle 2013. The blade flex makes it unusable i think. The Gillette Longcomb is heavier. Sounds nice. What do you think is better handle or headheavy razor. I am considering buying a Titanium Ufo handle. In that case the razor would be headheavy. When it comes to UFO handles i do not know if a titanium handle would be the better choice.
Fatip razor heads. Do they use different handles. Wiseguy do you consider the Fatips to be the best razorheads out there. Is it so that UFO makes special handles for Fatip. I think i read that somewhere.

Henning

@Franzoni

handleheavy or headheavy: i like 50/50.
fatip razors: 2 models: grande & piccolo. same heads.
yes - ufo makes special threading that fit the fatip.

Uhg!! I really love my Gillette LC NEW, and seeing pictures of those British NEWs and 7 O'Clock NEWs make me want one badly.

Last edited:
handleheavy or headheavy: i like 50/50.

I'm okay with 50/50, though all-out handle-heavy is fine too.

fatip razors: 2 models: grande & piccolo. same heads.

One of the best shavers out there if your tastes tend toward aggressive/effective and away from mild.

yes - ufo makes special threading that fit the fatip.

I have a Kaiser Short with Fatip threads on order, due sometime early next year. Can't wait!

Knocking some dust off this thread! I recently acquired a NEW SC USA version with markings of the plate on right below:

$image.jpg

From what I can tell these were made 1929-1940 or so. Is there any way to date them more specifically? Or should I just call it 1930's? I have looked at the WIKI and Mr. Razor and learned a little. My first older vintage razor! Thanks for help on dating.

Knocking some dust off this thread! I recently acquired a NEW SC USA version with markings of the plate on right below:

From what I can tell these were made 1929-1940 or so. Is there any way to date them more specifically? Or should I just call it 1930's? I have looked at the WIKI and Mr. Razor and learned a little. My first older vintage razor! Thanks for help on dating.

Wow ... not even an hour ago I was re-reading this thread ... :lol:

The razors that have all 3 patent numbers were made after May 1932, that's all you can actually say about dates.

Congrats.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
BTTT

Bump To The Top for some great info on the Razor of the Month, the Gillette NEW.

Was digging for info on Short-Comb vs. Long Comb.

Agree the LC is more commonly found, but who says the SC is "better?" Curious, since I have an SC en-route.

AA

The SC has a more rigid baseplate design, it supports the blade fully. Do to quality control or lack thereof, the SC was sold with different caps that offered different levels of efficiency.

$uploadfromtaptalk1457876863029.jpg

I found the cap in the top picture to be the most aggressive, it has squared off corner tabs.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
BTTT

Bump To The Top for some great info on the Razor of the Month, the Gillette NEW.

Was digging for info on Short-Comb vs. Long Comb.

Agree the LC is more commonly found, but who says the SC is "better?" Curious, since I have an SC en-route.

AA

I'll say the SC gives me the better shave, and far easier as well. The LC I sent to a family member wouldnt give me a BBS shave over the two trouble areas on my neck shaving ATG, even with a shim. The SC however, it's not an issue at all. I put the differences to the base plate support of the blade.

SC on the left in the pics.

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

The base plate of the SC supports the entire blade, even past the end line of the cap slightly. It is an extremely rigid design.

In comparison the LC base plate support ends well shy of the blade edge allowing the blade to flex, and for me even with a shim, skip over the stubble on either side of my adams apple shaving ATG.

See this thread for my experience: Gillette NEW LC Not Cutting It

The SC rabidus sent me hasnt been an issue at all over the same areas and with one blade in particular, a 7 O'Clock yellow, gave me a BBS shave in 2 passes without buffing, something that has never happened before with any razor.

This SC has become my favorite razor, by a wide margin. I sent 3 razors of mine to a family member and havent even picked up any of my other 5 since I started using and learning it. Its a fantastic razor for me. As smooth as my old Brit Rocket and a D 2 SS I have, as well as a post war Tech, but considerably more aggressive and effective than any of them.

I always wondered why the cap of the LC fits snug to the base plate, while the SC looks like a Tech cap that has been misplaced on the wrong razor.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I always wondered why the cap of the LC fits snug to the base plate, while the SC looks like a Tech cap that has been misplaced on the wrong razor.

I believe NEW SC razors shipped and were sold with any caps, but rabidus can explain that better.

Both caps. Correct SC on the left, LC on the right.

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1469.JPG

Ad Astra

The Instigator
@Esox ...Great SC shave today ... though the top cap resembles the one on the right in #36.

NEW SCs were shipped/sold with "any" caps? Interesting. My new NEW SC is a pretty re-plate, with bar-style handle and head style as above, right.

I do believe that NEWs' handles (well. the three LCs I have) are upside-down about 50% of the time, i.e. the patent date is by the upside-down by the head, not the ball-end. So Gillette assembly is *interesting* at times ...

AA

Top Bottom