What's new

Dating Gillette NEW, short comb and long comb

@Esox ...Great SC shave today ... though the top cap resembles the one on the right in #36.

NEW SCs were shipped/sold with "any" caps? Interesting. My new NEW SC is a pretty re-plate, with bar-style handle and head style as above, right.

I do believe that NEWs' handles (well. the three LCs I have) are upside-down about 50% of the time, i.e. the patent date is by the upside-down by the head, not the ball-end. So Gillette assembly is *interesting* at times ...

AA

The LC's don't all have the same caps either! Try the SC baseplate with the LC caps, you will notice if the caps are different while shaving with it. You may come out with a better combo.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
@rabidus - many thanks ... the minutia does matter. I don't have one of those scalloped SC caps (seen left) anywhere in the LC collection.

I used to think OLDs were where its at ... but if you haven't shaved NEW LC/SC, you *could be* missing something ...

But the top cap QC thing .. someone should say something to King Camp himself ... anyone got a ouija board?

AA

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
@Esox ...Great SC shave today ... though the top cap resembles the one on the right in #36.

NEW SCs were shipped/sold with "any" caps? Interesting. My new NEW SC is a pretty re-plate, with bar-style handle and head style as above, right.

I do believe that NEWs' handles (well. the three LCs I have) are upside-down about 50% of the time, i.e. the patent date is by the upside-down by the head, not the ball-end. So Gillette assembly is *interesting* at times ...

AA

As rabidus explained in another post.

Unfortunately, in typical Gillette fashion, the SC was sold with all of the other razors caps, the Deluxe 15 and 17mm, LC, prewar Tech and the original SC cap. The SC cap and 15mm Deluxe cap seem to offer the most blade exposure, with the LC cap a little less and the prewar Tech offering the least blade exposure. Only the SC cap and prewar Tech cap can be identified in a picture. The SC cap has squared off corner tabs and the prewar Tech has the short blade aligning bars. The SC cap doesn't fit any other baseplate.

I'm even having a hard time finding the information I'm looking for in my own threads now haha.

The SC I have has the proper SC cap on it and it's the only cap I've tried so far. I'm pretty happy with that razor as is, not sure I could ask for more of any razor at this point.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I used to think OLDs were where its at ... but if you haven't shaved NEW LC/SC, you *could be* missing something ...

I have yet to try an OLD type, but I'm working on it. I really liked my LC. It was a beautiful razor and very smooth and effective. It just wouldnt work on my trouble spots.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
LC has really impressed me; got two weeks of shaves - different blades - with no rashes, weepers, etc. CLose shaves, even (risky) ATG.

The SC needs more time, but man: like it.

Going to be a vintage-while before going back to a slant ....

AA

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
LC has really impressed me; got two weeks of shaves - different blades - with no rashes, weepers, etc. CLose shaves, even (risky) ATG.

The SC needs more time, but man: like it.

Going to be a vintage-while before going back to a slant ....

AA

I think I remember rabidus saying that the blade gaps among Gillette NEW razors varied, widely. Perhaps you have a more aggressive one. I found mine mild. It was very much the same as my Brit Rocket but had more blade feel from the OC, which I liked. The SC I have is considerably more aggressive/effective than my Rocket and any other razor I've yet used.

I'm curious how you'll like the NEW SC after two weeks use with ATG passes.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
NEW SC nails ATG with TOBS Sandalwood.

Enough acronyms; usually an against-the-grain shave isn't worth the risk, but the TOBS cream is so slick, thought I'd risk it in the name of pushing the NEW SC envelope ... yep, no damage. Glass-smooth shave.

*perhaps* this is why Gillette NEW short-combs are harder to find than the long-combs ...

AA

Enough acronyms; usually an against-the-grain shave isn't worth the risk, but the TOBS cream is so slick, thought I'd risk it in the name of pushing the NEW SC envelope ... yep, no damage. Glass-smooth shave.

*perhaps* this is why Gillette NEW short-combs are harder to find than the long-combs ...

AA

Psssss.... It's the razor, not the lather! Any razor where the blade edge is held extremely rigid is going to perform great ATG!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

AA

To borrow the theme from rabidus heh

As you become more familiar with the SC, you'll find it even more smooth and effective, with blade choice not being as critical.

I've wondered the same about their availability. I can find 10 or 20 LC before I find a SC on eBay.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
@Esox , @rabidus , thought you guys might want to see the razor; it's a Hibco-replated rhodium SC.

(I hope the seller won't mind; they are his shots. If so, PM and I'll take 'em down).

full

full

The rhodium is amazing; like white gold, I guess, but *so* shiny.

AA

@Esox , @rabidus , thought you guys might want to see the razor; it's a Hibco-replated rhodium SC.

(I hope the seller won't mind; they are his shots. If so, PM and I'll take 'em down).

full

full

The rhodium is amazing; like white gold, I guess, but *so* shiny.

AA

Nice, congrats!

Your SC is a perfect example of poor QC! That is the cap for a prewar Tech, which probably means that SC was sold around 1938 when the Prewar Tech was made! It's going to be Postwar Tech like mild in an open comb with that cap.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I appreciate the info! and realize it may be QC/other/mismatched. It's just a pretty shaver.

2ndhand (bay) seller indicates plating done by HIBCO; was in a Hibco wrap.

See? Why I asked: the cap thing with SC's is *complicated* ...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Of the US made 3 piece razors, the prewar Tech cap is the only one with short blade aligning bars.

So. I may also have a long-blade-aligning-bars top cap; would that, then, give a more traditional SC shave?

It's gold, but I like two-tone as well.

AA

So. I may also have a long-blade-aligning-bars top cap; would that, then, give a more traditional SC shave?

It's gold, but I like two-tone as well.

AA

Only the prewar Tech and SC cap with squared off corner tabs are identifiable in a picture. The other three, you would have to shave with to tell apart. The 15mm Deluxe that I had felt the same as the SC cap, the other two had less blade feel. All of the will perform well and take the SC with any cap over the LC or Deluxe any day of the week!

OK chaps and chapettes, here's one for you.

I'm picking this up tonight, $20. What do you reckon?

Attachments

• 30709966_961957370648071_6216855373005979648_n.jpg
    30709966_961957370648071_6216855373005979648_n.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 30728128_961957373981404_7735504943573893120_n.jpg
    30728128_961957373981404_7735504943573893120_n.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 43
Top Bottom