What's new

Restoring a Gillette New Short Comb & Bakelite Tech

Thanks @lasta!

To anyone - advice on the Tech safety bar? It seems fairly delicate. Should I mostly avoid it or can it take a lot? It seems to be bare as it is.
I give them HELL, i don't pousy foot round, upem for the rent in the buff wheel, but hay you own it if you want to be careful I didn't tell you to punish it like it stole your wallet. :D

Take a look at this picture, I wonder if someone put on a different top cap and this is zamak?

I'm talking about the ends of the blade posts, the crud on the bolt is the remnants of the blade that was left in it.

Attachments

• IMG_3851.jpeg
    IMG_3851.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
Take a look at this picture, I wonder if someone put on a different top cap and this is zamak?

I'm talking about the ends of the blade posts, the crud on the bolt is the remnants of the blade that was left in it.
I always thought the techs were all zamak. Mine’s a gold ball end one and I’m pretty sure it is based on the pitting and corrosion

100% brass, provided it is/was the original cap. Brass is copper/zinc alloy [mostly, for simplicity][bronze is copper/tin alloy]
Brass plus bar keepers friend = very minute amounts of copper come to the surface that appears as a pinkish red copper colour, yes it will come up through nickel. And under that nickel is brass.

Your cap has corroded, the edge has been laying in?[most likely old soap] soap is fat and lye and over long eons un-reacted lye in soap is corrosive to the zinc first and the copper also, the edge is gone. The ugly grey is most likely corroded zinc, from the brass as an alloy.

The short comb is copper cap brass guard copper and brass handle, copper takes a gold plate without the need for first nickel plating. There are copper handles on other razors, these do not suffer the same ''crack'' problems as the brittle brass versions as they are a very fine tolerance press fit, hence 1 poofteenth of mis-machining and 'crack'.

From the looks of this and other razors like it,
I was under the impression
that there was a layer of copper between the brass and the gold.

It's no good showing pictures and speculating "What" it is.
You need man up, get the angle grinder out and get to the base metal !

Top Bottom