What's new

Danish Hot Dogs

Well, I'm finally getting there! The remoulade took 4 or 5 days to blend and mellow. And for me, the perfect steam & heat of the hot dog and bun take 90 seconds at 40% radiation under a plastic steaming cover.
THEN it's all about proportions!

The first couple of days I put too much sauce on and it was rawboned and sharp. Vinegar, horseradish, and pickle juice, red pepper and powdered spice mix - even the mayo - good grief! It is amazing how time really does become an ingredient to some recipes, foods. And today it was more like a quick swipe, the application of the remoulade, and much less of the salted fried onions.

I still haven't fried my own onions yet, but I have the ingredients and just need to get over my laziness/business and cook! I think I've got three more dogs to go. ...and I can always go shopping!...

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That's going to be way better than a pushcart in Aarhus, Denmark!

Luckily our Walmart sells remoulade, Nathan's dogs and Durkee fried onions!

AA

Remoulade Sauce ( makes a bit less than 2 Cs )

I figure I'd write this recipe down so I don't lose it. The ingredients are blended by hand and allowed to meld in the fridge. I've stirred the mix once each day to speed the diffusion and the incorporation of a bit of air hasn't hurt. I found this one on the web with only a bit of work at it. Good find, good results. Enjoy!

1 1/4 Cup of mayonnaise
1/4 Cup whole seed dijon mustard
1 Tbs sweet paprika
1 to 2 tsp Cajun/Creole seasoning (I used Tony's; but, if you can put together a good blend with the vegetable powders instead of ~ salts I think it would be much preferable. You'll be much more in control of your seasoning/salt intake.)
2 tsp prepared horseradish
1 tsp pickle juice (your preference)
1 tsp hot sauce (I substituted an equal amount of red pepper puree.)
1 LG clove of garlic smashed
*keep refrigerated*
I don't have a clue how long to expect a well-controlled core of this mix to remain hygienic. Use your best judgment.

(thanks to simplyreciepes.com for the inspiration)

Top Bottom