What's new

Danish Hot Dogs

I too flipped for the street dogs in Copenhagen.
Right in my neighborhood, there's a Danish Seamen's Church. Each fall they have a Christmas fair as a fundraiser. They prepare and sell the Danish dogs...as well as the wonderful Danish smørrebrød (open-faced sandwiches), which are a whole different form of culinary art.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Who puts salad on a hot dog?
That was my initial reaction, but it is really a nice change of pace. The sweet relish with the dill pickle works great. I wouldn't eat them this way all the time, but, like I to change things up now and again.

Will most definitely be trying this!, Can the Remoulade be found in most Grocers?

Dave, what no mention of the beloved Sonoran dog?

proxy.php

I need to try this! Hot dogs are almost my favorite food! So far the best dogs I've made have been steamed, and with green relish, lots of onion and WAY too much sauerkraut. Awesome :thumbup1:

Who puts salad on a hot dog?

I have a theory about all the condiments on the Chicago Red Hot, but it is pure conjecture. When working men came off their shifts or had lunch from one of the lush cart vendors outside the factory, A lone hot dog just wasn't enough to satisfy their hunger, and two of them may have been too costly to do every day. The condiments may have been a way to make the Hot Dogs more filling and perhaps nutritious. My previous post was in no way meant to disparage any other encased meats, be they foreign or domestic. Chicagoans just take great pride in the Chicago Dog.

I have a theory about all the condiments on the Chicago Red Hot, but it is pure conjecture. When working men came off their shifts or had lunch from one of the lush cart vendors outside the factory, A lone hot dog just wasn't enough to satisfy their hunger, and two of them may have been too costly to do every day. The condiments may have been a way to make the Hot Dogs more filling and perhaps nutritious. My previous post was in no way meant to disparage any other encased meats, be they foreign or domestic. Chicagoans just take great pride in the Chicago Dog.

Your notion is pretty much in line with what other sources say. The "dragged through the garden" style started during the Great Depression -- having "a salad on top" was a selling point!

http://www.cookcfb.org/articles/entryid/107/history-of-food-a-real-chicago-hot-dog

They are fantastic, however after seeing the OP's post I am hunting after work today for the remoulade, as I think I may lose my Arizona Card, if these are as good as they look, LOL

They are fantastic, however after seeing the OP's post I am hunting after work today for the remoulade, as I think I may lose my Arizona Card, if these are as good as they look, LOL

I don't know if they are sold in AZ - but WalMart sells them in some places.

Ok folks! I had to go to two different grocery stores to find the Remoulade sauce. Our local Walmarts did not have it but some do. Had to go to Kroger's to get it. Long story short, I had two for lunch yesterday and two for lunch today! I guess that means I like it! :thumbup1:

Mike

Top Bottom