What's new

Daily shaving.

I see many people saying they "can't" shave daily

In the good old days when men respected themselves ,took a haircut every fifteen days and wore actual clothes, instead of cargo pants and t shirts,only bums didn't shave daily and nobody had "sensitive skin" :001_302:

Beards where reserved for orthodox priests and sailors.

As with anything in this life, is all about practice and mastering the technique, I agree with those who advise sticking to one set up till you learn how to shave with such items in a matter that you don't even have to think on what you are doing, I personally can shave with a straight razor in under 10 minutes from the time I walk in the bathroom to walking out the door to work, is not gonna be the closest shave but definitely a better shave than most of my coworkers, but it took me years of practice to be able to accomplish such feat.

I shave every day and have done so since I was the age of 16. You can see from my signature the lesson I learned from my later mother. The fact that I am retired and married does not change my routine. If I am in a rush I would skip shaving my head and just shave my face and neck. If I rush, I can do this in about 15 minutes. Usually, however, I take my time and take up to 30 minutes.

I've gotten my routine down where I can shower, do a 3 pass shave, dress and be out of the bathroom within 25 minutes. When I used an electric razor this took more like 15-20 minutes. The relaxing feeling I get from the shave is well worth the extra time.

I've tried daily with a DE. After the third day I can tell my skin needs a break. So I mostly just do every other day.
I am the same way... was the same way? I don’t know, I’ve been testing a few de blades here lately and I think I’ve found some that I could use every day. Especially if I went with two passes vs three.

Of course if you don’t have to, who cares.

How many of you shave daily using a DE razor, brush and soap? Also for those who do shave daily for work (Or maybe you just like being clean shaven), how have you found it trying to shave this way, quickly and getting out the door?
It's not about being fast, it's about having good time management.

If you want a proper wet shave before work every morning, set your alarm appropriately!

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Generally speaking, I shave 6 days per week (Saturday’s shave is mid-day, so I skip Sunday).

While the time can vary, a typical weekday shave takes me about 7-10 min for a 3pass, face lathering (I should note that I have a beard, so my “shave square footage” is less).

I was in a rush yesterday, did a 2pass DFS in just shy of 5min including drying off the counter and putting away my gear.

Really, I wish I could do it everyday.

But...I know now that when I DID do it everyday, in BASIC/AIT and active duty...I was much younger. And I could get through first formation with a one pass, WTG shave with a Mach 3 or Sensor.

Now? It is different now.

I have always shaved everyday. I recently retired, so I spend as much time as I like shaving in the morning. When I was working, I cut down the time by 1) Using soft Italian soaps like Proraso and Razorock because they lather up quickly, 2) Face lathering, 3) Using a synthetic brush which does not need to soak and cleans up fast and 4) limiting it to a two pass shave WTG + ATG. And yes, allowing a little extra time, but doing so did not require me to get up earlier.

I shave daily. Too long in the military not too. Same with the haircut - every 2 weeks or I feel like a slob. I get up 15 min early on work days so I don't have to rush the shave. 3 pass shaves for a DFS. I don't try for a BBS as I'm prone to irritation. I have a rotation of about 5 razors but favour my RR Mamba 70 which seems to give me the least irritation. If I'm trying to go a bit quicker I use a soap stick and face lather otherwise I go for a tub and a bowl lather. I thoroughly enjoy the whole process especially before work.

I shave every 24-36 hours for work and for my personal enjoyment. If I wait any longer, my whiskers become too annoying and the temptation to scratch increases the likelihood of some sort of irritation. I typically start my week with 3-pass evening shaves and transition to AM shower shaves by mid-week depending on schedule. At this point, my shower shaves have become efficient to the point of being able to perform them at the gym without issue. I use Speick cream, which face lathers quickly with a fast drying synthetic brush, and do two passes (N-S and S-N) with touch-ups if necessary. If I do a full 3-pass shave in the AM, I will not need to shave until the following evening.

I shave every day with a de razor. If you're concerned about not having enough time, try shaving at night. It seems odd at first, but if you're getting a good shave, you should have a close enough shave to start your day & end your day with what is considered a normal 5 o'clock shadow. As you become more proficient with your technique, the time it takes to get a good shave will decrease. Don't rush it, it's just going to take longer to learn how to properly shave. You'll get it, in the meantime, try shaving in the evenings, & most of all...enjoy!

Every day, have since I was a teen. Okay, wait, now that I think about it there was a time in college when I only shaved my neck and tried growing a pathetic beard, but I was living at a higher elevation where we got snow and much colder weather, so I rationalized it as a face warmer. College is a good place to finely hone your rationalization skills.

Now, I still work, but get up an hour early to do this or that then shower and shave. I spend more time face lathering because it feels good. Not sure why I enjoy it so, but it's relaxing. Typically 3 passes but once in a while 2. Shave and shower is probably a 30 minute affair from turning on the spigot to wiping down the counter post-shave.

I have been shaving daily since Basic training and continue to do so. Now I shave with a SE but sometimes a DE, soap and a brush and it takes about 15 minutes. If you need extra time I suggest getting up a little earlier or begin shaving at night.

Thanks everyone for sharing. I have since switched to a 2 pass shave which allows me to shave daily and enjoy it. I was doing 3 passes with touch ups as well and was finding my skin wasn't appreciating it.

Top Bottom