What's new

Daily shaving.

How many of you shave daily using a DE razor, brush and soap? Also for those who do shave daily for work (Or maybe you just like being clean shaven), how have you found it trying to shave this way, quickly and getting out the door?

Dude using the Timeless .95 I can get a 3 pass BBS no issue.

I go XTG and ATG if I need a quickie, with that razor/blade mans my technique I can get DFS for about 6-8 hours in about 10 minutes.

It’ll come, give it time.

Best thing I can say, limit your shaves to a razor/blade/soap you’re familiar with and know what you’re doing.

Switching up razors and blades and soaps every shave means you’re not getting the best of anything.

I know it’s a struggle, I’ve been there.

Try it this way for a week, guarantee your shaves will improve.

Brush and soap/cream and DE razor (Tech or Wilkinson Sword Classic plastic) almost every day, occasionally I'll switch it up with a brushless cream or a cartridge razor. No problems getting a three-pass shave in under 15 minutes with a DE from start to finish, under ten minutes with a cartridge (also a three-pass shave). You can move pretty quickly once you're familiar with your particular setup, which is one of the many reasons I went minimalist with my shaving.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Shave everyday using a DE razor, brush and soap. I sometimes use a Cartridge Razor when I travel which is very rare these days. Normally 3 pass shave with the DE and 2 passes with the Cartridge.

Every weekday before work. Focus Dynamic R48. 2 passes for a DFS. In and out of the bathroom in 10 minutes. Clean and comfortable and feeling fresh.

Occasionally also on the weekend for an event. Also occasionally a 2 pass with a Feather AC SS when I feel the need but that takes more time.

Today I did a 2 pass shave both passes with the growth of the hair. I used the new Wilkinson Sword Classic TTO razor with a Gillette Wilkinson Sword (Chinese) blade on its third use. I used a Yaqi synthetic and Wahl Traditional Barber's shaving cream. It was a very comfortable shave an although it wasn't the closest shave I think it will do for getting out the door to work. It only took me 10 or so minutes as apposed to 30 minutes when I do a three pass shave with touch ups.

How many of you shave daily using a DE razor, brush and soap?
Me.
Except on "Single Edge Sundays", when I use a Schick Injector.
Also for those who do shave daily for work
Okay, you lost me.
I'm retired.
(Or maybe you just like being clean shaven),
Yup. Except for the 'stache.
how have you found it trying to shave this way, quickly and getting out the door?
I don't.
I take 35-40 minutes every evening, and just enjoy it.

As Animal used to say ...
SE-RENE!
proxy.php

However ....
If I really have to hurry, I can shorten it to 10-15 minutes.
  • Take a shorter prep shower, concentrating on the face and neck.
  • Do not drain and refill the sink after the prep shower. (Normally I pre-heat the sink during my shower, and then refill it.)
  • Face-lather with a stick.
  • Use an adjustable and crank it up.
  • Do a single extended pass, changing directions (WTG, XTG, ATG) as I go top-to-bottom or side-to-side.
  • Don't dry the razor after rinsing it.
  • Skip the alum block.

Last edited:
Retired, widowed and alone with little to do during the day.....except a most enjoyable time at 3 in the afternoon when the hot water flows, the lather blooms and I spend 20 minutes pampering myself in front of the bathroom sink. I shave daily because I like the routine. The only downside is that I have to try every shave soap known to man and to continually fight the "new" DE razor urge. I watch one positive You Tube review on a razor or soap I haven't tried yet and my wallet begins to cringe, saying "Here we go again.......(big sigh)." :)

I shave every morning, after breakfast, out of choice. Being fully retired, I don't have to rush through my shave to be anywhere.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've been shaving every day for many years. I'm retired, but that doesn't mean my wife wants to kiss a porcupine.

It takes me about 10 minutes. I find that it's just better to get up 10 minutes earlier than to try and rush.

Been shaving daily except for occasional weekends since 1975 or so. Shaggy was a no-go back in the day, although being a notoriously self-determined person I grew a beard long, long before they were popular. Still shaved my neck daily though.

Since I started using a DE, I have shaved daily with a few exceptions (skipped four days when I broke my ankle, for instance). I greatly prefer the look, and even a couple days of skipped shaving causes terrible itching.

Once you develop passable technique you can shave twice a day if you wish without a problem. Just have to learn how to use the razor to remove the hair without removing the top layer of skin (think slick soap and shallow angle.....)

I’ve been shaving daily since I started on my first real job 40 years ago. My DE shaves take no more than 10 minutes. I can do it in 5 minutes if I’m in a rush.

Shaving never takes longer than 5-6 minutes for me. :001_smile

So I do it daily.

After my hot shower (during which I wash my face and stubble well with regular soap) I simply re-wet my face with hot water and put on some shaving foam or gel(usually Proraso green/red ,Noxzema yellow or Figaro menthol or recently the amazing Nivea deep gel) from a can masaging it thoroughly into my stuble.

I have never bothered to use a brush and soap,it is too messy,time consuming and of no actual benefit compared to canned foam.

Than I take my trusty Mercur 34c (loaded with any kind of blade it does not really matter anymore ) and do a quick 4 pass shave (with the grain,across to the right,across to the left and against the grain).

The secret is to shave SMALL areas (around 3 sq inches) and perform ALL passes at the same time rewetting your face w/ a bit of hot water after each pass thus eliminating relathering.

So what I do is shave a 3 sq.inches area w/ the grain with shaving foam on it and than immediately re-wet the SAME area with a bit of hot water (I simply dip my finger into hot water and drag it over the particular area on my face) and shave the same area across the grain to the right than re-wet and shave the same area across the grain to the left and than re-wet and shave the same against the grain (yes the water reactivates the "invisible film" the shaving foam leaves and provides plenty of glide and slickness).

Than I move to the next area and do the same all over again ( I start on my half right cheek under my ear,move to the other half closer to my nose,moove to the right side of my neck than move to my left cheek and left side of the neck and leave my nose & mouth/chin areas for last)

I do this VERY fast (I have been shaving with a DE for more than 30 years so I have very good technique) and this way I do a complete 4 pass shave in around 5-6 minutes.

I have been shaving like this for ever and the result is BBS everytime

Also a daily shaver. I don't feel rushed, but can move through a shave pretty quick in the morning before work or at night before bed. I do enjoy taking an extra few minutes during the weekend. Usually 2 pass, but occasionally 3.

I shave daily and allow enough time for it. Could do a faster shave if I face lather, so about 10 minutes for that option.

I've tried daily with a DE. After the third day I can tell my skin needs a break. So I mostly just do every other day.

Chances are you are using too much pressure or a too aggressive razor for your technique and skin. I only get irritation if I get carried away with pressure or get sloppy with a slant.

I spent 30 years shaving daily with carts. Then 5 years daily with DE. During all that time I'd do an occasional 2nd shave for special occasions.

For the last year+ it's been daily with straights (and occasionally MMOC, shavette, Old Type, or Rolls just for fun).

I see many people saying they "can't" shave daily. And I understand everyone has different skin, sensitivities, whisker type, etc. But I can't help feeling that it's more about their technique than they realize. There's no requirement to shave daily, but IMHO, everyone could do so if they wanted to.

Top Bottom