What's new

Creepy Crawlies!

Spread-Winged Damselfly (Lestidae)

IMG_20200505_114922_271.jpg

Thanks, yes it is a focus stack. I'm stacking many of my images to increase DOF. My previous posts from the springtail and the crab spider with the fly also have been stacks.
Nice! I stack my snowflake shots, but with insects I've only been able to pull it off a couple of times.

Nice! I stack my snowflake shots, but with insects I've only been able to pull it off a couple of times.
The success rate increases with time and practice (I do them mostly hand held and only use tripod + focus rail for static subjects). Not every stack is usable. It gets very tricky as soon as there's any movement in the scene. And most of the times, those creepy crawlers won't stand still and move a limb.

Last edited:
I think this is the first time I've seen this species of jumping spider. He was a pretty small one maybe a 1/4 inch or so. Not sure on ID, but I think it's Hentzia mitrata.
What a wonderful series and a beautiful spider! I love the low point of view in the first two shots with the spider looking up and the golden/green color palette. Those jumping spiders can be quiet skittish. I chased a few of them, but non really wanted to pose for me long enough.

What a wonderful series and a beautiful spider! I love the low point of view in the first two shots with the spider looking up and the golden/green color palette. Those jumping spiders can be quiet skittish. I chased a few of them, but non really wanted to pose for me long enough.
Thanks, I've had some that run and others that stick around and pose. This little guy was really easy, he just kept coming back and posing. He would have been willing to keep posing, but I figured I had enough shots. The green background is the park bench I found him on, then I got him to crawl onto a dried leaf for a different and more natural background. Once I reviewed the shots the bench actually looked better than I thought it would.

Thanks, I've had some that run and others that stick around and pose. This little guy was really easy, he just kept coming back and posing. He would have been willing to keep posing, but I figured I had enough shots. The green background is the park bench I found him on, then I got him to crawl onto a dried leaf for a different and more natural background. Once I reviewed the shots the bench actually looked better than I thought it would.
I thought the background was a leaf! That park bench really made a perfect background. It's true. Every now and then, when you keep searching, eventually one insect will not run away and let you take the images. It is really a bit strange, isn't it? I can see the shape of the diffuser you are using in the reflection in the eye of the spider. It provides really nice diffused light. Which lens did you use for those images?

Last edited:
I thought the background was a leaf! That park bench really made a perfect background. It's true. Every now and then, when you keep searching, eventually one insect will not run away and let you take the images. It is really a bit strange, isn't it? I can see the shape of the diffuser you are using in the reflection in the eye of the spider. Which lens did you use for those images?
It's the Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro with a Rynox 250 on the front. The diffuser is a foldable softbox. I've thought about changing to something round but this one is so easy to take along because it takes up almost no room in my bag. I've tries the ones that hook to the lens, but the holes are too big for my lens and they get in the way of the focus ring.

Great shot!

It's the Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro with a Rynox 250 on the front. The diffuser is a foldable softbox. I've thought about changing to something round but this one is so easy to take along because it takes up almost no room in my bag. I've tries the ones that hook to the lens, but the holes are too big for my lens and they get in the way of the focus ring.

This is a picture of my setup with my DIY diffusor. It's not pretty, but it works and it does not come off or wiggle around when I move (my previous diffusors did and it really annoyed me). I also installed a battery powered LED into the diffusor to provide a steady light for focusing. Under the camera attached is a power bank to speedup cycle times of the flash (good for focus stacks).

1636755639416.jpeg

This is a picture of my setup with my DIY diffusor. It's not pretty, but it works and it does not come off or wiggle around when I move (my previous diffusors did and it really annoyed me). I also installed a battery powered LED into the diffusor to provide a steady light for focusing. Under the camera attached is a power bank to speedup cycle times of the flash (good for focus stacks).

View attachment 1361835That looks like a great set up! I may have to try to make a similar diffuser. I could also see where faster flash recycle time would be nice.

Top Bottom