What's new

Couldn’t Wait

6D3BE99C-800C-4131-8269-E09D39CC3A05.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
View attachment 994197 Used my folding Feather SS this morning (love this little shavette) and coupled with a 1930 GEM Micromatice without the blade bumps (BMMOC). This Feather continues to teach me about what it means to be sharp. The Artist Club Pro Guard is way past its prime, but can still cut effectively at the correct angle. The tugging is there under the nose on a first pass just like every razor I own. Why whine about the true straight if a manufactured blade does the same?

While everyone goes ga ga over a 1934 Aristocrat, four years earlier GEM produced a TTO with a more reliable design and a hard clamped thick blade that continues to pleasantly surprise those that discover the GEM SE line of razors.

Have you used both this and the one with the bumps to compare them? Just curious. Mike @Esox is way into the fat GEM blades and their razors.

I too find it very instructive to shave with the manufactured blades of a Feather barber razor occasionally (I refuse to use the s word when referring to these Feathers). A Proline after several uses is sharp as a razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Have you used both this and the one with the bumps to compare them? Just curious. Mike @Esox is way into the fat GEM blades and their razors.

I too find it very instructive to shave with the manufactured blades of a Feather barber razor occasionally (I refuse to use the s word when referring to these Feathers). A Proline after several uses is sharp as a razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Yes, I've been able to find both. This one came with a shave cup for .99 cents plus $7 shipping. I'm PIT forward another BMMOC on the Micromatic Monday thread. I don'tf find any difference, but I'm not a very sophisticated shaver. They all work if you know what to do, right?

By "s" word you mean sharp?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
While everyone goes ga ga over a 1934 Aristocrat, four years earlier GEM produced a TTO with a more reliable design and a hard clamped thick blade that continues to pleasantly surprise those that discover the GEM SE line of razors.

They sure surprised me. Even using my Bullet Tip last night for the second shave on the blade, I'm still surprised at how smooth they are. Not to mention how easy to use once you understand how.

They sure surprised me. Even using my Bullet Tip last night for the second shave on the blade, I'm still surprised at how smooth they are. Not to mention how easy to use once you understand how.
We've put those instructions up a bunch of times haven't we @Esox ?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
We've put those instructions up a bunch of times haven't we @Esox ?

So many once more wont hurt lol.

Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf SE Razor_intructions2_1.jpg

Since this thread is in the straight razor section it also wont hurt to know that the proper angle of use of a GEM razor is much the same, if not the same, as would be used with a straight. The designers of GEM razors, knew what they were doing.

View attachment 994342

Since this thread is in the straight razor section it also wont hurt to know that the proper angle of use of a GEM razor is much the same, if not the same, as would be used with a straight. The designers of GEM razors, knew what they were doing.
I've been saying the MMOC was a good tutor for me using a straight including the angle. Thanks for posting again, my friend. :a14::a50:

94D3F0F1-B1C5-448D-929D-0E3B17E808EC.jpeg
Using the antique shave cup with an Omega 11047 brush.

Began with a glycerin face wash. All three passes performed by the Demascara 5/8 and side burns and nostrils with the E Type Schick.

Sea Breeze post shave.

It was interesting to experience the shave cup making making lather by just wiping the soap while adding warm water for the right hydration.

I did a DD using the two in my collection. One is a wedge grind while the other more hollow ground. These are not highly collectable, but you won't see many posted for sale or in good shape. The hollow ground Salamander is not often seen by me.

I honed the Our Wedge type last night after receiving. I started with 30 Mu films and progressed to 12 and then 9 Mu. I then went to a Coticule stone with slurry to clear under running water followed by the same with a Thuringian stone. This progression was followed by stropping on diamond paste on a piece of balsa wood board. I used an old Illinois #50 hanging strop of 25 on the linen and 60 on horse hide.
2 salamanders.jpg

View attachment 994342

A number of straight razor boxes with instructions on proper shaving have been found too. People would probably still be trying to claim that 30° is the proper angle to shave with if they weren't out there proving that us 0° folks were right.

Damn, I'd love to find a puck of Torrey shaving soap. Don't think I've ever seen one.

And yeah, those kind of instructions. There are a few that say to always keep the razor flat on the face even more explicitly. I suspect then, like now, the higher angles were a way to deal with a dull blade... and by promoting a flat angle, they could show off that their razors were sold sharp and ready to shave.

Damn, I'd love to find a puck of Torrey shaving soap. Don't think I've ever seen one.

And yeah, those kind of instructions. There are a few that say to always keep the razor flat on the face even more explicitly. I suspect then, like now, the higher angles were a way to deal with a dull blade... and by promoting a flat angle, they could show off that their razors were sold sharp and ready to shave.

The circa 1909 #136 I found had never been honed or if so, was negligible. The razor was very sharp. I didn't attempt to shave with it, but just to agree they were shipped ready.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
By "s" word you mean sharp?

No.

Some people refer to a Feather razor which holds a Proline by a word I don't like for that application. I prefer to call these Feathers barber razors. The s word is a word I find demeaning to them.

My friend in college was nicknamed Groove because he was forever saying things were Groovy. By extension his girlfriend was known as Groovette. I can't recall if we called her that to her face, but I know we referred to her by that name in his presence. We could have been kinder. I remember her face and other aspects of her appearance - impressive aspects I might add - but not her actual name.

Make sense?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
People would probably still be trying to claim that 30° is the proper angle to shave with if they weren't out there proving that us 0° folks were right.

Even with a DE I've tried, mostly, to keep the edge as parallel to my skin as I could. Its the most gentle on the skin and the most comfortable way for me to shave.

There are a few that say to always keep the razor flat on the face even more explicitly. I suspect then, like now, the higher angles were a way to deal with a dull blade... and by promoting a flat angle, they could show off that their razors were sold sharp and ready to shave.

I do that with my GEM razors. As the blade wears my angle steepens.

Top Bottom