What's new

Couldn’t Wait

4th day with same razor and same result. This edge is producing the type of shaves I get with a GEM MMOC.

I am learning that the pastes and stropping are working together to maintain the edge on daily use with 3 passes. I've experienced no degradation, perhaps even improvement over time.

Again this razor's bevel was set on a 30mu film. Part of the progression included the use of a Thuringian. I don't consider this edge a "method edge". My opinion is that it's a 30mu to 1.25mu edge with stones in between.

For all the honing and such, the razor is no worse for wear.

Fifth day using the M.Jung. Nothing definitive, but I think perhaps just linen and horse hide to be superior to diamond paste and then the Illinois #50.

I continue to obtain a GEM MMOC quality shave, but I must take the time to ensure I use the razor patiently. It is there if I choose to invest the time.

Last night I lapped 50 on chromium oxide pasted suede followed by 60 diamond and of course 25 linen and 50 horse on an old Illinois #50.

I might get a better shave someday, but this razor performed flawlessly and efficiently this AM. I prefer the early, pre 1936 merger Geneva/New York steel Pyramid 7 6/8 to later GENCO/Case razors. There was a 5/8 version stamped 7N.
Gen.jpg

Seems like what you're doing is working well on the razors you like to use. Hard to argue with success.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thank you, Jim. I perceive with the feedback from others that my previous pasted balsa had been applied to heavily. I releveled that piece and bought a thicker piece from Hobby Lobby.

Used the birthday Wester Brothers 4/8 from @steveclarkus this AM. Of course it came with a diamond prepped edge. I did 60 plus laps on diamond pasted balsa followed by linen and horse hide for this AM's shave.

Wester.jpg

May I just say that this is the third diamond edge I have used since returning to diamond and paste. There is a consistency I am experiencing regardless of the razor. Diamond make the razor more efficient with each pass, or it cuts more hair effectively per stroke.

Last edited:
Yesterday in preparation for my Monday shave, I did 50 on chromium oxide pasted suede, 60 on 200k diamond pasted balsa, and followed with 25 linen and 50 horse hide. This is the fourth razor in my collection that I have improved the Thuringian edge. While there is some slight variability, each razor is more efficient per stroke. Each razor is more smooth as it cuts.

This is a Challenge Cutlery Celebrated Rifle Razor that I paid $7 in '18.
rife.jpg

The #136 performed better today that at any previous shave. The pastes have made a difference in yet another razor in my collection.

136.jpg

Couldn't edit my last post. I wanted to say, for any new SR user that I had made a mistake before in using diamond paste by applying too much. It takes such a small amount that you will naturally think you need more, but don't.

Last night I did several, can't remember the count, on chromium pasted suede followed by 200k diamond before the linen and horse hide strop.

I keep on thinking the next razor I strop with paste is not going to perform as well as the other razors, but it has not occurred so far.

Some folks think an 8k edge is effective. Well, it may be effective for them. What I have learned is you have to throw whatever is necessary toward the edge for you beard type. If 8k works, stop there. If 12k works, stop there. If you need something more, do it. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Couldn't edit my last post. I wanted to say, for any new SR user that I had made a mistake before in using diamond paste by applying too much. It takes such a small amount that you will naturally think you need more, but don't.

Last night I did several, can't remember the count, on chromium pasted suede followed by 200k diamond before the linen and horse hide strop.

I keep on thinking the next razor I strop with paste is not going to perform as well as the other razors, but it has not occurred so far.

Some folks think an 8k edge is effective. Well, it may be effective for them. What I have learned is you have to throw whatever is necessary toward the edge for you beard type. If 8k works, stop there. If 12k works, stop there. If you need something more, do it. :)

I agree. The edge has to work for you. Nobody else's whiskers matter.

I think it possible that some gentlemen are much more skilled at honing such that the edges they might get off a given stone exceed the edges I might get off an even finer finishing stone. That's possible, but it's impossible for any of us to easily compare our edges with someone else's edges.

I've read various places that stropping on whatever creates a micro bevel. I don't myself know this to be true, but, if it is, that only matters if it matters to you.

"Sharp enough" matters to everyone.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I agree. The edge has to work for you. Nobody else's whiskers matter.

I think it possible that some gentlemen are much more skilled at honing such that the edges they might get off a given stone exceed the edges I might get off an even finer finishing stone. That's possible, but it's impossible for any of us to easily compare our edges with someone else's edges.

I've read various places that stropping on whatever creates a micro bevel. I don't myself know this to be true, but, if it is, that only matters if it matters to you.

"Sharp enough" matters to everyone.

Happy shaves,

Jim

You and I came from a rich array of experience with DE and SE razors. Our standards may be higher .

I have no doubt some are more skilled, but 8k is 8k. Also, the posts I read includes more than a few added steps to refine the blades.

Last edited:
I picked up a second Salamander a month ago. This is their wedge type, the other full hollow. When setting the bevel I used a 30mu 3M Film followed by a 12 and 9 micron. I deviated from my usual progression and made a light Coticule slurry and progressed to clear under a small stream of water. The next step was the same slurry to clear on the MMTT Thuringian. This was followed by diamond paste and stropping. Later Steve said I should go back to a .5 and .3 films then go to diamond which I did. Either way, this razor's efficiency was wonderful.

Last night I did 60 plus on diamond followed by linen and horse. To suggest I got a great shave is an understatement. My shave today is GEM MMOC/BMMOC quality with a new PTFE blade. Not bad from a near 100 year old razor. Salamander razors were German made. The company was in business circa 1920-26.

Sal.jpg

Least efficient razor to date of those I've taken back to .5, .3, and diamond. However, I managed to get a very nice shave. While this is my problem child, he is beginning to cooperate much better.

100 on diamond balsa last night. The full hollow Salamander is not often seen.

Sal2.jpg

Used the Feather SS and PAA Alpha Ecliptic for a daily double today. The new Artist Club Pro Guard is the best. The use Feather in the AE made easy work of an ATG second pass. Many new users are discovering the comfortable design of the Feather shavette. Some complain it's too expensive. As an great uncle used to say, "it only costs a little more to go first class".
DD.jpg

Top Bottom