What's new

Couldn’t Wait

I am pretty much a minimalist compared to others. Today I used a #136 Torrey I had prepared last evening by running some laps on the .3 mu film followed by diamond. This razor is better than before where I had a Thuringian edge.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I am pretty much a minimalist compared to others. Today I used a #136 Torrey I had prepared last evening by running some laps on the .3 mu film followed by diamond. This razor is better than before where I had a Thuringian edge.

How many diamond pasted items do you have and use? All are balsa? What diamond sizes?

My little comparison between Thuringian and diamond edge has become educational. A .1 micron edge is a more efficient and comfortable edge than 12K. Efficient in that it cuts better and comfortable in that fewer strokes to shave more rounded and difficult places.

Yesterday I took both of these edges onto the 200,000 grit/ .01 mu diamond on balsa for 60 laps. This was after .3 and .5 micron film.

So at this point my method is 30, 12, 9 films to slurry Coticule to clear followed by slurry to clear Thuringian to .3 and .5 films followed by .01 mu diamond.

I had asked a friend the question, is there a difference between a 20K stone and a .3 mu edge. I doubt it. The cost of a 20K stone is around $300 whereas the cost of a sheet of .3mu film is a few $3.

Two.jpg

Two Salamanders, one hollow the other a wedge. Both were honed and stopped the same. The wedge is just sharper.
Two Sal.jpg

wester.jpg

This is a gifted razor with a 200,000 grit diamond edge and the difference for me is noticeable. I can do more with fewer strokes that when shaving off the MMTT Thuringian alone. Last night I did 60 on balsa/diamond followed by 25 linen and 50 plus horse hide.

Oh yeah, this is a 4/8 Wester Brothers
""Wester Bros.Cutlery Co." existed 1904-1967 in New York City.
Charles and Max Wester were the owners.
It was originally founded in 1891 as Jacoby & Wester.
Wester Brothers was the sole inporter of goods made by Wester & Butz of Solingen.
The owner of Wester & Butz was August Wester, father of Charles and Max Wester."
STRAZORS.com - all about classic razors - Wester Bros, Solingen.

Shaved after an early 7 mile mountain hike which means I had more growth than usual. I had redone the edge to 200K yesterday, 100 laps. This is a 6/8 Pyramid 7 Geneva, pre 1934 merger. Just me, but I prefer these to the GENCO brand.
Geneve.jpg

I took the 136 back to a 200K diamond edge. I got a very good shave the first time out, but I think the blade has more potential.

Today I used a razor I sourced from JR, my first straight razor. I honed this razor using a 30-.03mu films progression followed by 200k diamond and finally linen and horse hide. Having previously finished on a Thuringian stone, this is one I returned to .5 and .3 micron film recently. The difference is noteworthy.

The 3 pass shave was effective and the edge efficient. I have the type of shave I get with a GEM Micromatic today.
Marcella.jpg

This is my problem child. I love it, but it just does not perform as well as the others. That said, last night I did several laps on the diamond balsa combo. I got my most efficient shave from it this morning. I actually have a very nice result on the facial areas that matter more to me, chin, corners, upper lip, just below bottom lip, and neck.
Sal.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This is my problem child. I love it, but it just does not perform as well as the others. That said, last night I did several laps on the diamond balsa combo. I got my most efficient shave from it this morning. I actually have a very nice result on the facial areas that matter more to me, chin, corners, upper lip, just below bottom lip, and neck.
View attachment 998502

Ah, the problem child's identity has been revealed. Shaming it into sharpness?

Yet another one, M. Jung/German made, in my collection that improved in the efficiency category by laps on a .5 and .3 mu film progression followed by 100 laps on diamond pasted balsa.

While using this AM the razor didn't feel as though it was doing more, but it was none the less. Two WTG on the face, up and down on the neck, followed by detail work on the corners, jaw line and chin was excellent.
m. jung.jpg

I used the German made and M. Jung imported straight, again. I did 60 laps on diamond pasted balsa followed by linen and horse. This razor was efficient again. It really shines on the second and clean passes.

3rd day using the M. Jung Reg 80. Last night I added the process of suede pasted chromium oxide before the diamond pasted balsa. I'm getting enough positive feedback to continue to hand strop between passes.

I used Tabac stick soap and a Semogue 1305 brush. Both did well, but I question if these thick soaps adversely effect the edge.

Jung.jpg

3rd day on the M. Jung. Last night I stropped on linen and leather only. This morning the razor actually felt sharper. Perhaps this daily use and attention to the edge it paying off. I also hand stropped between passes.

Top Bottom