What's new

Couldn’t Wait

To be fair, I used the Coticule edge for a first pass, but it just didn't cut as well as the MMTT Thuringian. Overall, good shave with the M. Jung.

Yes sir, whatever it is, it’s a good one.

I’m tempted by the black translucent but I don’t want a convex , I think.

Just did 100 x’s under a stream with the salamander on the coticule. Will be fun if I can tell the difference with the edge on the M. Jung.
If you want to try a black Ark, shoot me a pm with your address. I’d be happy to lend you my new rock for a week or so to try a few edges on it and see what you think.

Great to see another razor shave so well off that MMTT thuri!

Yes, I guess it's my go to finish stone. Everyone is talking about those black translucent stones right now, but I'm probably going to stick with Coticule followed by diamond on balsa or chromium oxide, or both unless I use the MMTT Thuringian.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yes, I guess it's my go to finish stone. Everyone is talking about those black translucent stones right now, but I'm probably going to stick with Coticule followed by diamond on balsa or chromium oxide, or both unless I use the MMTT Thuringian.

Keep it up. I'm interested.

Nobody talks about the Zulu Grey either but they should.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Are they complicated to use?

No, not particularly. There are probably many ways to use the Zulu Grey.

I have used only water (you will want to use either oil or water with this one, according to the manufacturer, and stick with oil if you use oil). Water seems fine; I don't think I'm missing anything.

I have used the included slurry stone to make a very light slurry, and then honed with half strokes, circles, x strokes, all the usual strokes, while gradually diluting the slurry with water and gradually reducing the pressure. Ultimately honing with very light pressure (weight of razor) and nothing but water. Great feedback. Stiction.

ZuluGrey.Wet.Kukri.480.5-4-19JPG.JPG

Easy to use. Mind you, I've honed only the one razor on the ZG so far but the edge was excellent.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I picked up a Dan's Black Arkansas a few days ago and it sure did put a nice edge on a couple SRs. I really liked using Dan's honing oil. For me, the feel using oil was nice. I liked it so much, I tried the oil on 3M lapping film last night (12, 9, 5, 3, 1 progression) and I produced my best edge so far (The Method). I was going to finish it on the Black Ark but didn't see the need after I test shaved.

I have four razors that I'm going to test the oil and film on tonight.

I still have a few finishers that I'd like to try: a Zulu, a MMTT Thuringian, and a Vermio.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I picked up a Dan's Black Arkansas a few days ago and it sure did put a nice edge on a couple SRs. I really liked using Dan's honing oil. For me, the feel using oil was nice. I liked it so much, I tried the oil on 3M lapping film last night (12, 9, 5, 3, 1 progression) and I produced my best edge so far (The Method). I was going to finish it on the Black Ark but didn't see the need after I test shaved.

I still have a few finishers that I'd like to try: a Zulu, a MMTT Thuringian, and a Vermio.

I didn't know anything about the Vermio, but read up on it. Thanks for the prod.

Someday I might get the MMTT Thuringian and am interested in reading what you think about it. The Zulu Grey is a good finisher according to the edge I've gotten with it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Putting oil on the films is something I had not considered, but would question what reaction the oil would have on the synthetic material. That said, you got a great edge.

I didn't know anything about the Vermio, but read up on it. Thanks for the prod.

Someday I might get the MMTT Thuringian and am interested in reading what you think about it. The Zulu Grey is a good finisher according to the edge I've gotten with it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

You are tempting me on the ZG. Where did you pick one up?

Putting oil on the films is something I had not considered, but would question what reaction the oil would have on the synthetic material. That said, you got a great edge.

I did four more razors tonight taking them from a 9, 5, 3, 1 film progression. I used Dan's oil on the film, just a couple drops. I reloaded if it became necessary. I could tell from the polish on the edges they were going to be enjoyable. I test shaved with two tonight - a Dreadnaught and a Geneva Cutlery Co - both were keen, smooth, and comfortable. I'll try the next two tomorrow evening.

The paperwork that came with the film suggested: "Use baby or mineral oil to lubricate and float away the filings left from sharpening."

CDF227F2-8749-4DF3-8520-A78832B4A74D.jpeg

The SR is a Challenge Celebrated Rifle Razor that has always provided a good shave. It has a MMTT Thuringian edge as most of my collection now sports.

The '64 Schick Krona is such a nice tool. Love the long handle.

I watched a video using a Thuringian with slurry and circles on diminishing slurry concentrations. I added the full treatment of underwater laps and a few circles for Saturday using the Celebrated Rifle Razor made by Challenge Cutlery. We shall see if the edge was improved.

5792E819-EBB4-4C19-8A90-21910398989D.jpeg

The reworked Celebrated Rifle Razor proved to be the ticket. Not much was left for the original, 1947 Super Speed to accomplish.

Last edited:
Nice work! I am obsessively reading about hones and honing practices at present. Need to obsessively sell stuff so I can buy some of these stones!

Top Bottom