What's new

Couldn’t Wait

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If I can sharpen most or all of my razor with the MMTT Thuringian, I need no other stone ever. If I need a little boost, I always have diamond and balsa options.

I'm not sure what you're saying here.

Maybe you're saying you can do everything with that one stone - everything meaning setting the bevel and/or correcting flaws in the edge and also meaning everything up to and including finishing - is that correct?

[Yes, I realize you mentioned maybe using pastes and such after the stone for final finishing, but other than that?]

My understanding, which is not well informed at all, is the Thuringian is a finishing stone. Can it do everything including the bevel (like a coticule can)?

I'm not knowledgeable about the Thuringian stones (yours or any others) and am asking out of ignorance.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm not sure what you're saying here.

Maybe you're saying you can do everything with that one stone - everything meaning setting the bevel and/or correcting flaws in the edge and also meaning everything up to and including finishing - is that correct?

[Yes, I realize you mentioned maybe using pastes and such after the stone for final finishing, but other than that?]

My understanding, which is not well informed at all, is the Thuringian is a finishing stone. Can it do everything including the bevel (like a coticule can)?

I'm not knowledgeable about the Thuringian stones (yours or any others) and am asking out of ignorance.

Happy shaves,

Jim

@Basil used only his coticule, but I was referring to post bevel setting progression only needing one stone .

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@Basil used only his coticule, but I was referring to post bevel setting progression only needing one stone .

Ah, yes, thanks.

I've not tried to do it but I've read that everything post bevel setting can be accomplished easily enough with the Zulu Grey. I've used my Zulu Grey only as a more or less finishing stone and gotten a very good edge, an edge good enough that I haven't been inclined to further sharpen it with pasted strops. It's also been an edge that's held up very well.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ah, yes, thanks.

I've not tried to do it but I've read that everything post bevel setting can be accomplished easily enough with the Zulu Grey. I've used my Zulu Grey only as a more or less finishing stone and gotten a very good edge, an edge good enough that I haven't been inclined to further sharpen it with pasted strops. It's also been an edge that's held up very well.

Happy shaves,

Jim

@Basil said he uses Japanese Natural stones now. If I am incorrect he can comment

Ah, yes, thanks.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I remember when the Zulu was just being tested a a potential razor stone. I was really tempted by it then. I couldn’t get one and was long down the wait list. I’m always tempted to try new stones but I don’t want to actually have to buy one. Lol if only there was a razor/hone library lol

@Basil said he uses Japanese Natural stones now. If I am incorrect he can comment
That is correct. I recently bought a jnat and a nagura set that I really enjoy. Since they are new though I know there is a honeymoon period where everything is the greatest and best possible. Once I feel this period is over I will be testing the edges vs my cotis and seeing what I can do with the coti to make my edge better.

That being said the jnat edge is pretty spectacular at the moment and I have not come close to to that kind of edge before with my coti.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That is correct. I recently bought a jnat and a nagura set that I really enjoy. Since they are new though I know there is a honeymoon period where everything is the greatest and best possible. Once I feel this period is over I will be testing the edges vs my cotis and seeing what I can do with the coti to make my edge better.

That being said the jnat edge is pretty spectacular at the moment and I have not come close to to that kind of edge before with my coti.

Have you used the coticule with oil? In my hands the Dilucot Oil Honing method can give me a gloriously sharp edge.

The Jnat Rabbit Hole is currently off limits for me, but I am allowed to read about the stones and their glories.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Have you used the coticule with oil? In my hands the Dilucot Oil Honing method can give me a gloriously sharp edge.

The Jnat Rabbit Hole is currently off limits for me, but I am allowed to read about the stones and their glories.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I’ve used oil a few times but found it to be too messy. I will revisit it soon I think.

All my old stones that I grew up using for knives and tool we used with oil. Was glad to find water stones.

I was busy preparing for a trip and didn't want to prepare a razor last night.

Today I used the Feather SS and nose area clean up with the Schick Type E. Anyone that likes straight razors might want to consider this razor because it is a lot of fun to use, very light weight, and the Pro Guard blades are safe and smooth.

With this razor you can quickly tell if your honing skills are progressing. I noticed that even with the Feather, my most challenging areas require multiple passes.

I'll be using my Bakelite slants the next ten days. My shave kit includes a Arko stick and a 1305 Semogue brush.

I used the Salamander 5/8 for two days growth. Having reset the bevel a couple weeks back, I was curious if it could handle my beard type growth and it did.

FC344A6F-4FCF-470A-B289-C1E381122232.jpeg

Hope that edge lives up to the other shaves you’ve been getting off that stone. Seems pretty great from what I’ve been hearing.

Hope that edge lives up to the other shaves you’ve been getting off that stone. Seems pretty great from what I’ve been hearing.

Yes sir, whatever it is, it’s a good one.

I’m tempted by the black translucent but I don’t want a convex , I think.

Just did 100 x’s under a stream with the salamander on the coticule. Will be fun if I can tell the difference with the edge on the M. Jung.

Last edited:
Top Bottom