What's new

Couldn’t Wait

Last night I did 60 x's on the MMTT Thuringian followed by 25 linen and 60 Horse. I think if I used this razor everyday I would be amazed at how good it is, but only once a week is not realizing it's full potential.

View attachment 978681

Since this is my progress thread and I can say what I want about stones, I find it odd that so few seasoned honers do not advocate using the 3M films for new users, or for general razor edge preparation.

In the packet I bought there is a 30, 12, 9, 3, 1, .3, .5 sheet. Refer to the chart. What stone progression and how many stones would it take to replace a packet of films that range from 600 grit to 60,000 grit and do so for $25?

View attachment 978680
Thank you for the conversion chart. I've been trying to find one for years.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Would you say you are achieving excellent shaves on those stones or are you resorting to other methods?

Really good edges on coticules (sometimes; at least one or more razor).

Sometimes coticules + pasted strops.

Sometimes off Zulu Grey.

Just okay shaves so far off the Double Convex Ark (but it's promising).

Thank you for the conversion chart. I've been trying to find one for years.
:a50:Glsd
Really good edges on coticules (sometimes; at least one or more razor).

Sometimes coticules + pasted strops.

Sometimes off Zulu Grey.

Just okay shaves so far off the Double Convex Ark (but it's promising).

Would you use one stone if that stone could work to make shave ready all razors? I am thinking about the use of razors back in the day where perhaps only one or two hones were available and the barber had to make do with what they had.

:a50:Glsd

Would you use one stone if that stone could work to make shave ready all razors? I am thinking about the use of razors back in the day where perhaps only one or two hones were available and the barber had to make do with what they had.

I am trying to move in a similar direction. I just pulled the trigger on a Dan's black ark. If I like the way my razors shave off the Ark, I may end up ordering a hard/ soft combo (alas, my old hard/soft ark is nowhere to be found) for rougher work, to finish on the black.

Cross fingers the black Ark leaves me a nice edge!

For years I used just one coticule. Well I had a few and would pick up whatever one I felt like. But I only ever used one from start to finish.

Water only. Sometimes under running water.

Hey, I to the same under running water. I began doing this after watching a video. For me the MMTT Thuringian provides a shaper edge than the yellow Coticule. What advice on using the Coticule to improve my edges?

Hey, I to the same under running water. I began doing this after watching a video. For me the MMTT Thuringian provides a shaper edge than the yellow Coticule. What advice on using the Coticule to improve my edges?
A few laps of circles always helps me make sure I get the whole edge and then I follow it with x strokes. When I finish super light pressure is always best. When all else fails a layer of tape can help push the edge.

Also I should note that I recently started using jnats. I was lazy and didn’t always shave daily. I wanted some extra keenness to shave that 2/3 week beard so I got a jnat.

If I knew I’d have the edge I do from a jnat I would have bought one sooner. But then either way I’d still be using one stone(with other nagura)

A few laps of circles always helps me make sure I get the whole edge and then I follow it with x strokes. When I finish super light pressure is always best. When all else fails a layer of tape can help push the edge.

Also I should note that I recently started using jnats. I was lazy and didn’t always shave daily. I wanted some extra keenness to shave that 2/3 week beard so I got a jnat.

If I knew I’d have the edge I do from a jnat I would have bought one sooner. But then either way I’d still be using one stone(with other nagura)

The reason I have avoided circles is because I've read that is removes steel quicker and didn't want to take the edge too far.

I shave daily. The only reason I bought a stone was to experience a stone edge. I didn't start the drama about the Timber Tools Thuringian. I was provoked...LOL!!

The reason I have avoided circles is because I've read that is removes steel quicker and didn't want to take the edge too far.

I shave daily. The only reason I bought a stone was to experience a stone edge. I didn't start the drama about the Timber Tools Thuringian. I was provoked...LOL!!
Haha it’s ok! I almost bought one ages ago. Only reason I started with a coti was because I got my first one in a trade. Really liked it so I stuck with them.

Haha it’s ok! I almost bought one ages ago. Only reason I started with a coti was because I got my first one in a trade. Really liked it so I stuck with them.

If you were me, and you were getting the shaves you like off the Much Maligned Timber Tools Thuringian, would you get another stone? What's the motivation? Just saying, I do not want to collect stones. I prefer to use them.

If you were me, and you were getting the shaves you like off the Much Maligned Timber Tools Thuringian, would you get another stone? What's the motivation? Just saying, I do not want to collect stones. I prefer to use them.
If I were using a stone and it left nothing lacking I would probably not buy another.

I bought a bunch to start and then realized I didn’t need all this so I got rid of a bunch. I kept a couple different cotis just for various aspects of them( one left a finer edge, one was great at running through dilutions)

But as soon as I realized what I needed and what I could do with what I had that was the end of buying a huge stockpile of things.

If I were using a stone and it left nothing lacking I would probably not buy another.

I bought a bunch to start and then realized I didn’t need all this so I got rid of a bunch. I kept a couple different cotis just for various aspects of them( one left a finer edge, one was great at running through dilutions)

But as soon as I realized what I needed and what I could do with what I had that was the end of buying a huge stockpile of things.

My fake Thuringian is the stone I shave off most everyday. There might be a stone that is better. Who can say?

You've provided me with some sound and practical guidance. Thank you for taking the time to send the PM, brother. I feel like I better know where I am going. :ouch1::ouch1::a50:

My fake Thuringian is the stone I shave off most everyday. There might be a stone that is better. Who can say?

You've provided me with some sound and practical guidance. Thank you for taking the time to send the PM, brother. I feel like I better know where I am going. :ouch1::ouch1::a50:

No problem!! I’m always open to talking to anyone about razors or hones or anything. I might not always be right or know the most but I try to lend experience to anyone who asks. Especially if it keeps people from buying a bunch of stuff that just sits there.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If I had to pick one stone of the ones I have to do the whole job that stone would be my rectangular 7x2" coticule.

I am not a seasoned honer, not by any stretch, but I have produced at least one gloriously sharp edge with just that one stone using my patented Dulicot Oil Honing method. If the edge were not quite sharp enough I'd go to the pasted strops.

If I had to pick one stone of the ones I have to do the whole job that stone would be my rectangular 7x2" coticule.

I am not a seasoned honer, not by any stretch, but I have produced at least one gloriously sharp edge with just that one stone using my patented Dulicot Oil Honing method. If the edge were not quite sharp enough I'd go to the pasted strops.
Lol what no pics?

Last evening I did 60 x's on the Thuringian stone I got from Timber Tools last year followed by linen and horse hide. The razor performed as expected. Oh, this is the Geneva Pyramid 7.
Gen.jpg

I'm coming to think the idea of being a seasoned honer is overblown relative to shaving. This is a shaving forum, not a sharpening forum. Therefore, I would think we should be discussing becoming a seasoned straight razor user. I mean, we can't assume those with a lot of experience sharpening things are good shavers. One does not equate with the other.

@Basil and I had a good conversation last night. He helped me understand more about my Coticule. We have many here who have no financial interest in stones that know plenty and have been using a SR for years.

If I can sharpen most or all of my razor with the MMTT Thuringian, I need no other stone ever. If I need a little boost, I always have diamond and balsa options.

Top Bottom