What's new

Couldn’t Wait

Sounds like the edge was very much improved.

You'll have a tutorial to write on the stone before long.

Oh my, Jim. Imagine me writing a honing tutorial and the response I would get. …..LOL!!

I've read where you do circles, correct? My understanding is circles do more quickly than x strokes.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yes, I do circles. I do everything. Half laps. Spine leading. I work on one part of the blade for a bit (if it feels like it needs it) and then another. I don't care what somebody says it "right." I care if it works for me and if it makes sense to me (one more so than the other).

However, I finish towards the end with x strokes.

The gentlemen is refreshing an edge, not starting from scratch with bevel setting. I don't know anything about the fine old Escher stones except prices and reputation. I'd think your "Thuringian" might be similar. Do you have and use a slurry stone with it?

The box isn't original. He made the box. Great job of it. Lovely box, stone, video, and razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
Yes, I do circles. I do everything. Half laps. Spine leading. I work on one part of the blade for a bit (if it feels like it needs it) and then another. I don't care what somebody says it "right." I care if it works for me and if it makes sense to me (one more so than the other).

Happy shaves,

Jim
Okay and thank you for explaining, Jim.

chuck

The gentlemen is refreshing an edge, not starting from scratch with bevel setting. I don't know anything about the fine old Escher stones except prices and reputation. I'd think your "Thuringian" might be similar. Do you have and use a slurry stone with it?

The box isn't original. He made the box. Great job of it. Lovely box, stone, video, and razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yes, he is just refreshing. Didn't mean to give the impression I thought he was bevel setting. Thing is, I might never need to bevel set again unless I damage the edge or get a new razor. Oh, good to know about the box. I thought it had been in a time capsule...LOL!!

Since I have no experience with a "true" Thuringian, I cannot comment if the MMTT Thuringian is similar, but from what I've heard and read, they do the same thing...finish well. Thing is, the more I read posts and from my own research, there is no definitive method or stone. One could spend thousands on vintage rocks and get as good of a shave off a $90 MMTT Thuringian. Wouldn't it be prudent to get to know a stone? That's what I feel I am doing. Staying put and getting to know the MMTT T.

I don't like just a Coticule edge to use to shave. My beard is just too coarse. I'd prefer to use it as I intended as something after the 3 micron film and then before the MMTT Thuringian.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yes, he is just refreshing. Didn't mean to give the impression I thought he was bevel setting. Thing is, I might never need to bevel set again unless I damage the edge or get a new razor. Oh, good to know about the box. I thought it had been in a time capsule...LOL!!

Since I have no experience with a "true" Thuringian, I cannot comment if the MMTT Thuringian is similar, but from what I've heard and read, they do the same thing...finish well. Thing is, the more I read posts and from my own research, there is no definitive method or stone. One could spend thousands on vintage rocks and get as good of a shave off a $90 MMTT Thuringian. Wouldn't it be prudent to get to know a stone? That's what I feel I am doing. Staying put and getting to know the MMTT T.

I don't like just a Coticule edge to use to shave. My beard is just too coarse. I'd prefer to use it as I intended as something after the 3 micron film and then before the MMTT Thuringian.

I know you have the smaller MMTT Thuringian. I have mostly stones which are 8x3, but my coticule is about 7x2 and I like it a lot. It's taught me that smaller isn't a bad thing. I also know people like Jarrod at Superior Shave who hone a lot of razors seem to usually say more real estate is a good thing. So, my question is this. If you were doing it over and weren't worried about the extra dollars would you get the MMTT Thuringian size you ordered or the larger size?

I see they come with a slurry stone and a box which is nice. You use the slurry stone always, sometimes, or never?

upload_2019-5-25_13-7-1.jpeg

I'm not really fixing to buy a stone, but one never knows. Huge, deep, steep, and dangerously slick rabbit holes like this are very seductive.

Like everybody doesn't already know that.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I know you have the smaller MMTT Thuringian. I have mostly stones which are 8x3, but my coticule is about 7x2 and I like it a lot. It's taught me that smaller isn't a bad thing. I also know people like Jarrod at Superior Shave who hone a lot of razors seem to usually say more real estate is a good thing. So, my question is this. If you were doing it over and weren't worried about the extra dollars would you get the MMTT Thuringian size you ordered or the larger size?

I see they come with a slurry stone and a box which is nice. You use the slurry stone always, sometimes, or never?

View attachment 983960

I'm not really fixing to buy a stone, but one never knows. Huge, deep, steep, and dangerously slick rabbit holes like this are very seductive.

Like everybody doesn't already know that.

Happy shaves,

Jim

One day I was watching honing videos and came across this person using a small stone. Since I enjoy holding the stone and also holding under dripping or streaming water, the small size actually appealed to me.

So, no I would buy the same size and when I got the Coticule later I intentionally got the small one.

Yes, the MMTT Thuringian comes in a box with a separate compartment for the slurry stone. I do use the slurry and might be doing so more as a touch up. I almost cringe that you might get one and not be happy with it.

BTW, I just sent @steveclarkus one of my challenging, but beloved razors to test shave and hone as he sees fit. Perhaps he will post his observations.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
One day I was watching honing videos and came across this person using a small stone. Since I enjoy holding the stone and also holding under dripping or streaming water, the small size actually appealed to me.

So, no I would buy the same size and when I got the Coticule later I intentionally got the small one.

Yes, the MMTT Thuringian comes in a box with a separate compartment for the slurry stone. I do use the slurry and might be doing so more as a touch up. I almost cringe that you might get one and not be happy with it.

BTW, I just sent @steveclarkus one of my challenging, but beloved razors to test shave and hone as he sees fit. Perhaps he will post his observations.

Don't cringe! I'm not expecting to buy one without doing more homework + nobody informed believes all stones are alike (so I could get a stone much better than yours, in theory).

Thanks for letting me pick your brain on this stone, my friend.

Happy shaves,

Jim

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Nah, will just follow The Method as usual. I demand the perfect edge.

Don't cringe! I'm not expecting to buy one without doing more homework + nobody informed believes all stones are alike (so I could get a stone much better than yours, in theory).

Thanks for letting me pick your brain on this stone, my friend.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yes, do more homework. You can also contact their sales department and speak with them about their source. Perhaps they could pick one out that better suits your needs. Since it was my first stone and I have no other experience except with the Coticule, I am ignorant of how it compares to any other stone.

This is just me, but I don't want a collection of stones that I don't use or know how to use effectively. I also don't want to spend hours flattening a stone. It make more sense to me to find new and interesting ways to use what I have. One member used to go from one finishing type stone to a higher grit and back.

I sent one of my razors to Steve Clark to see what he thinks. Having a second opinion at this stage would help.

Tried a different approach today. It's Micromatic Monday and I wanted to participate with the original 1930 Micromatic Open Comb. Instead of the straight first, I used the BMMOC followed by the Pyramid 7 6/8 Geneva for the clean up.

I think we forget the importance of beard reduction as a integral part of a successful result. A knock down pass regardless of the combination or single tool appears to work for me to achieve the kind of shave I want without redness or discomfort.

I used the Our 136 today and learned something. Instead of doing just two passes, I did a clean up third pass on neck and middle face. I'll start doing more clean up third passes on certain areas that matter most to me, the corners, chin, and jaw line.

I am still early in the learning curve, so I am resisting touch up/third pass, but I think it makes sense on parts of the face that matter to you. I think the chin and jaw line, even with plenty of skin-stretching and facial contortion, will always be tougher with a straight than a safety razor, so why not just acknowledge it and put in the focused effort?

I've reread most of this thread and really appreciate the info here, this little bit included. I'll probably hold off a month or so and just get better at my standard WTG and XTG passes before adding touch-up, but it feels good knowing others are doing one. Thanks.

I am still early in the learning curve, so I am resisting touch up/third pass, but I think it makes sense on parts of the face that matter to you. I think the chin and jaw line, even with plenty of skin-stretching and facial contortion, will always be tougher with a straight than a safety razor, so why not just acknowledge it and put in the focused effort?

I've reread most of this thread and really appreciate the info here, this little bit included. I'll probably hold off a month or so and just get better at my standard WTG and XTG passes before adding touch-up, but it feels good knowing others are doing one. Thanks.

I found doing a WTG, XTG, then repeating a WTG was really good for touching up my face. I eventually went WTG, XTG (nose to ear), XTG (ear to nose), then with WTG. Everyone's skin and beard is different.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I haven't figured out much I need to know about shaving with the SR. I'm only 200 or so shaves into the long learning curve.

Happy shaves,

Jim

This morning was shave 67 complete triple pass. It was the first time doing so prior to work, as I’m about as quick as a DE now, including stopping.

It’s still just a very DFS. Getting there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8D9CC9FE-E414-4F81-92A2-EFF18846DF24.jpeg
9248D03A-A728-49A5-9D60-83F4F5F4CC6C.jpeg
M. Jung was an importer in New York. This is an imported German made 5/8.

M. JUNG
Importer
90 70th St., Brooklyn, NY; moved to 149-151 Church St., New York City in 1921
ca. 1911 - 1923

M. JUNG RAZOR CORP.
252 40th St., Brooklyn, NY (factory); 36 Warren St., New York City (main offices)
ca. 1918 - 1923

I repeated my use of a clean up pass following a knock down and a regular pass on my face. I did a ATG and a WTG on my neck as usual.

I'd rate my shave the same had I performed the same process with a DE with a blade less than 5 shaves.

Last edited:
Top Bottom